• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

Yes I watched the #9, he did play OK but the # 15 for Randwick was their best at least for the first half. Where did he come from? Is he here to stay?

Shaun Foley old Waverley boy and has played number games with Australia 7's great prospect for Randwick. After watching the game on ABC that pitch is quite a disgrace although it really plays into their hands with a young and tough forward pack.

Cyril Towers (30)
Shaun Foley old Waverley boy and has played number games with Australia 7's great prospect for Randwick. After watching the game on ABC that pitch is quite a disgrace although it really plays into their hands with a young and tough forward pack.

Interesting. Forward packs are often described as young OR tough. Rarely are they described as young AND tough. They were outstanding yesterday. What the Uni coaches and systems have been able to achieve with this group is brilliant. They have clearly learnt their lessons from earlier games against Eastwood and Easts and a lot of previously unknowns are becoming very good footballers. No better example than Aldy King who must have been close to man of the match yesterday.

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Seems as if the Woodies got a hell of a scare from West Harbour.. Sources say the Pirates were up until the very last minute.

A

Albert

David Hickey is a thug

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree. No doubt Hickey played a very physical, confrontational, niggly, in-your-face, dog-shot style of footy on Saturday... but having seen him come through the system at Joeys, I am aware that he can also be skillful, technical and an outstanding leader.

My gut feeling is that the coaching staff at Uni have recognised the forward pack at the moment is very young, and they have provided Dave with a specific role description - to be the 'intimidator'. Even the Syd Uni match reports, which are posted on their website, have referred to Hickey as a 'cage-fighter' on several occasions this season. The battle between him and Timmy McGann was pretty heavy. Hickey was high-fived & back-slapped by a few members of the Uni coaching staff when he left the field following the red card.

The Wicks old heads went out on Sat to 'bully' the young Uni pigs, but to their credit, the Uni crew stood up and refused to be daunted. I thought they were impressive.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
A very interesting and perhaps perceptive comment, Albert, not that I'm in any position to advise on its accuracy.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It was embarassing. There is nothing skillful about a spear tackle on someone off the ball, or a forearm to the head of a player pinned under other tacklers.

This moron spoiled a good hard game with his cheap shots. I hope his coaches redirect his energies.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I was a bit surprised that they flew him over. He has been struggling for a few weeks with back spasms and hasn't played much footy.

In my humble opinion, it shows how light on for Super level quality front rowers in australia we are. Tilse goes well (generally speaking) in Shute Shield, but is not up to it at Super level.

Cyril Towers (30)
In my humble opinion, it shows how light on for Super level quality front rowers in australia we are. Tilse goes well (generally speaking) in Shute Shield, but is not up to it at Super level.

It seems to happen a bit that guys who are front rowers in Super Rugby franchises and go alright in that arena, come back to the field when they play Shute. For some, they have to go through a period of relearning how to scrummage, which makes them struggle for a while. For others it is a combination of niggly injuries, loss of intensity and crap behind them.
If you are looking for the real up and comer in Shute Shield props it is Aldy King, Uni's LHP. He's been a Uni stalwart for a few years and is around 24-25 but he's learnt his craft, become strong and has the smarts. He would be a good addition to a franchise.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If you are looking for the real up and comer in Shute Shield props it is Aldy King, Uni's LHP. He's been a Uni stalwart for a few years and is around 24-25 but he's learnt his craft, become strong and has the smarts. He would be a good addition to a franchise.

Aldy's emergence this year is largely due to having the ideal training and playing environment, as you're probably aware, topo. Uni's EDS program started in November and involved a lot of heavy weight training as well as strong man type exercises such as tractor tyre flipping, farmers' walks, etc. Since early March, when the club trials started, players like Aldy have had 80 minutes of hard rugby each week. By contrast, unless they are in the starting side front rowers in the franchises get limited game time.

The other unique feature of the Uni system is that heavy strength training is maintained right throughout the playing season.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting to see one David Campese at Randwick training last night along with Mark Ella. Both got very involved, with Campese taking the 2nds for more than 90 mins and wasnt afraid to tell the guys off or mix it with the guys in the drills.....

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Greg Grumbles has reported that evidently 3 Premier clubs are in "dire straits" financially. Anyone know if this is legitimate or just rubbish?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Aldy's emergence this year is largely due to having the ideal training and playing environment, as you're probably aware, topo. Uni's EDS program started in November and involved a lot of heavy weight training as well as strong man type exercises such as tractor tyre flipping, farmers' walks, etc. Since early March, when the club trials started, players like Aldy have had 80 minutes of hard rugby each week. By contrast, unless they are in the starting side front rowers in the franchises get limited game time.

The other unique feature of the Uni system is that heavy strength training is maintained right throughout the playing season.

He could get a gig for the Tahs this week, we've got no LHP and no bench prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.