• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
congrats to ben volavola for making his 1st grade debut yesterday for the mighty pirates .. in year 12 at newington college .. great effort.

I am surprised that the school allows him to play grade. Used to happen a lot in the good old, bad old, days, however.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
congrats to ben volavola for making his 1st grade debut yesterday for the mighty pirates .. in year 12 at newington college .. great effort.

This doesn't compute, how can he be in two places at once...Stanmore playing for Newington 1st XV and whereever the Pirates played...

Enlighten some ignorant sod please...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This doesn't compute, how can he be in two places at once...Stanmore playing for Newington 1st XV and whereever the Pirates played...

Enlighten some ignorant sod please...

He is 19 this year so is illegible to play in the GPS competition. He played GPS 3rds last year which was very disappointing, obviously politics played a part. In my view he was one of the best fly-halfs in the country at schoolboy level. I mean he's playing first-grade this year, I don't think a fly-half from last year is even close to that level yet.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He is 19 this year so is illegible to play in the GPS competition. He played GPS 3rds last year which was very disappointing, obviously politics played a part. In my view he was one of the best fly-halfs in the country at schoolboy level. I mean he's playing first-grade this year, I don't think a fly-half from last year is even close to that level yet.

Maybe it is something about Newington. Nick Farr-Jones, and Phil Kearns, for example.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Hopefully Adam D'Arcy gets his kicking boots back on for his trial in Ulster. Otherwise he will be back in 2 to never return. Good win to the highlanders but 4 tries no conversions?
He also kicked badly in a couple of other games they have lost. No sour grapes but i hope he doesn't continue to wilt under pressure.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that was his point, mate.

As mentioned on another thread NFJ was young in year 12 and behind a mercurial half by the name of Murray McGain who was in his second year in the 1sts and led them to a premiership. I seem to recall Phil Kearns was also young within his year.

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
A few more than interesting results over the W/E.

Has anyone an opinion on how the top 6 will finish.

Caught Eastwood vs Uni on TV and was surprised at Betham's lack of finish and Mafi not really that good - shocking mistake to allow Turners try. I haven't heard anything but can anyone tell me where Mafi, Trist and Kelly will be next year as far as S15 is concerned !! Are there spots at the Tahs or are they all gone ??

Cyril Towers (30)
A few more than interesting results over the W/E.

Has anyone an opinion on how the top 6 will finish.

Caught Eastwood vs Uni on TV and was surprised at Betham's lack of finish and Mafi not really that good - shocking mistake to allow Turners try. I haven't heard anything but can anyone tell me where Mafi, Trist and Kelly will be next year as far as S15 is concerned !! Are there spots at the Tahs or are they all gone ??

I think the 6 will stay pretty much as it is. Uni might move up a couple of spots and the Hobbits seem to be on the slide. The rest will probably lose one match at most between now and the semis. Uni are yet to play Easts and Manly in round 2. If Uni are going to do it this year they will have to take the long route, but that's not impossible with the 6 team finals structure.

I thought Mafi played pretty well apart from Turner's try, and he wasn't only one to blame there. He has been out for a long time with a leg injury and this was only his 2nd game back and first game in 1s. He ran hard and made some characteristic big hits. He would have to be one of the hardest tackling wingers in the game. I don't think he has a contract for next year. He was with the Brumbies but I believe his contract wasn't renewed after a bad run with injuries. Dan Kelly and Nathan Trist are not contracted either. I know Trist is studying medicine now and has pretty much given up on a pro rugby career. He's a great player, though, and certainly knows how to sniff out a try. Some of his positional play on the weekend was top shelf as well.

With Vickerman's signing, the tahs now have 30 contracted players, so no room at the inn.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Uni looked bloody ominous to me. The way they finished the game should have all the teams above them looking over their shoulders. The pack just belted Eastwood into submission and they spread it wide late and ran in a bunch of tries in very quick time. They are looking very good at precisely the right time of the season.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
If Uni can keep their side together I can't see anyone beating them this season. Their display against the Woods was sensational as the Woods had been in red hot form.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I've been enjoying watching Lachie Turner running around for Eastwood. A test recall can't be far away surely.

Yeah, I wonder what they are going to do with him. He is currently in the Commonwealth Games Sevens squad but I think he has been called into the Wallabies to cover some injuries. To be honest I hope he goes to Delhi because I think he will kill the sevens and am so looking forward to watching him play there. We really need him after Kingi and Kauria-Henry have been denied selection and with a multitude of injuries. Plenty of Wallaby time for him later.

Yes his form for Woodies has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.