• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hey I've been a skeptical observer of Turner over the last season or so, but I have to say that he's lifted his game since being dropped. He deserves a squad place if nothing else.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gee, this thread has died in the bum. Some very interesting results, anybody see any of the matches?

And, by the way, Go the Gay Gordons.

H

Hartman

And, by the way, Go the Gay Gordons.

I heard about this yesterday - apparently at the Gordon vs West Harbour game, the announcer said something about the "Gay Gordons heading back to halfway"?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I heard about this yesterday - apparently at the Gordon vs West Harbour game, the announcer said something about the "Gay Gordons heading back to halfway"?

The Gay Gordons is a Scottish dance. It is also the nickname of the Gordon Highlanders, a celebrated regiment in the British Army.

"A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me,
If you're nae a Gordon, you're nae use to me...."

It is a pity if these traditions are lost from the game. They are called the Highlanders still, fortunately.

H

Hartman

Perhaps I should learn a bit more about my club's tradition, I had never heard that before. It is indeed fortunate that we're known as the Highlanders.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Perhaps it is one of those historical nicknames known by everyone except the subject.

I have known of the Gay Gordons for ever. Understandably the Gordon people probably prefer the "Highlanders" over the "Gay Gordons"

Bit like Southern Districts who promote themselves as the Rebels, but are actually widely known as the "Hobbits".

I am sure that nearly all clubs are known by official and unofficial nicknames.

H

Hartman

Perhaps it is one of those historical nicknames known by everyone except the subject.

I have known of the Gay Gordons for ever. Understandably the Gordon people probably prefer the "Highlanders" over the "Gay Gordons"

Bit like Southern Districts who promote themselves as the Rebels, but are actually widely known as the "Hobbits".

I am sure that nearly all clubs are known by official and unofficial nicknames.

To be honest I have never been a huge follower of the Sydney club rugby scene. This is my first year being involved in it... A bit embarassing to be wrong-footed like this on a public forum, but there you go. I'm sure most of the other people from the club are less blunt than I am. :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The use of the term Gay Gordons long predates the use of the word "gay" in its current popular meaning. The Highlanders were often referred to as the Gay Gordons in the press, and in the weekly programme, years and years ago. Nothing at all wrong with it, it has never been an insult - in fact, Gordon supporters and players used the expression themselves.

And why not? It adds a bit of historical colour to the club, its traditions, and the game as a whole.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
And what is the background to the "Wicks". I know it is the second part of Randwick, but it seems a bit lame. Is the "wicks" meant to be the "naughty" nickname given that they seem to like to be known as the "galloping greens"?

H

Hartman

The use of the term Gay Gordons long predates the use of the word "gay" in its current popular meaning. The Highlanders were often referred to as the Gay Gordons in the press, and in the weekly programme, years and years ago. Nothing at all wrong with it, it has never been an insult - in fact, Gordon supporters and players used the expression themselves.

And why not? It adds a bit of historical colour to the club, its traditions, and the game as a whole.

Oh, I agree - that's why I feel a bit silly...

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Glen Cristini has done an awesome job with the Vikings in Canberra making them a first class side and a really professional club. Deserves a shot in the shute shield and should do real well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Glen Cristini has done an awesome job with the Vikings in Canberra making them a first class side and a really professional club. Deserves a shot in the shute shield and should do real well.

He is certainly taking on a real challenge. It would be great for Parramatta and for Sydney rugby if he is successful in rebuilding the Club.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
After bottoming out early this year the mighty Two Blues are on their way back. On field resuts may still not show it but in terms of planning and organisation for the future the club has real ambition. With Cristini as head coach and a really superior colts program in the off season the club will be a force across all grades next year.making some great steps with sponsorships and forming excellent affiliations with organisations like NSW Country Rugby Union.
Function to be held on September 24 at Rosehill Racecourse will feature Robbie Deans , Bob Dwyer, Nick Farr Jones and a host of others.

R

rocket321

This thread has gone a bit quiet in recent weeks hasn't it?

I really wish that Australia, or even just the individual states, had a properly televised Club Rugby scene. I mean it brings down the depth and talent levels for the the entire country, look at the difference in standards between Australian, New Zealand and South Africa (the three SANZAR nations), South Africa has the Currie Cup and it is immensely popular, this causing an increase in viewership for not just those clubs, but for the entire sport, which would definitely be helpful in Australian Rugby Union at the moment, seeing as there seems to be a giant "war" raging between the footy codes. New Zealand has the ITM Cup, another hugely popular Club Rugby competition, ALSO televised. The quality of rugby from both of these competition is (to me, at least) ALOT higher than that of any club rugby i've seen in Australia this year. Why are Australian rugby fans subjected to watching other country's club rugby, we only have one match televised per week for the Shute shield for god's sake!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's great to keep mentioning that we should have a professional tier below Super rugby but that fact is the sport isn't big enough for it. No one will go to the games. We are the 3rd or 4th most popular code here, unlike SA or NZ.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
After bottoming out early this year the mighty Two Blues are on their way back. On field resuts may still not show it but in terms of planning and organisation for the future the club has real ambition. With Cristini as head coach and a really superior colts program in the off season the club will be a force across all grades next year.making some great steps with sponsorships and forming excellent affiliations with organisations like NSW Country Rugby Union.
Function to be held on September 24 at Rosehill Racecourse will feature Robbie Deans , Bob Dwyer, Nick Farr Jones and a host of others.

Bit over ambitious I think they need to rebuild obviously but they need to have a plan and stick to it. It won't be fixed in an offseason. Saying that hopefully Cristini can bring some blokes from the Canberra competition with him. Parra has about 3 or 4 blokes from the Central Coast playing colts. But let's be honest if Parramatta can keep their Juniors they will be very competitive. Focus on that for a start.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's great to keep mentioning that we should have a professional tier below Super rugby but that fact is the sport isn't big enough for it. No one will go to the games. We are the 3rd or 4th most popular code here, unlike SA or NZ.

I wouldn't care that not many people would go to the games if the ARU could afford to keep it afloat which they can't. It ticked all the rugby boxes. At a higher level: nobody gives a rat's arse that nobody goes to Sheffield Shield games, or whatever they call it now, but it develops the players as no other cricket comp in the world does.

Unfortunately the ARU does not have the coffers that Cricket Oz has.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
The team Cristini is coaching in Canberra at the moment has numerous Brumbies contracted players, Aus u20s players, Last years Aus Schoolboys players and Academy players, and he is very well respected and liked so it would not surprise me if players make the move up with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.