• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
They may be ball runners Tuala & Peseta but you can't play two of them in a back row if you want a workrate in your backrow.

Cyril Towers (30)
Uni looked pretty impressive against West Harbour yesterday and are finally starting to gel after their troubled start. Next weeks game against the Woodies should be a cracker!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am surprised that John Grant from Eastwood hasn't been given a chance with a S14 team, that guy is such a match winner

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I am surprised that John Grant from Eastwood hasn't been given a chance with a S14 team, that guy is such a match winner

I think he is suited to sevens. He is a former GPS track champion winning the 2006 AAGPS 100 & 200m, long jump and shot put. His 100m time then was 10.89. I think they should give him a go at the sevens. If he shines there he should get a call up to the Super 15.

Reactions: DPK

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
Do you think that Burgess,Barnes and McCalman will be back for Uni?

It sure will be a cracker and if Huxley, Mafi and Inman are all back as well what will be the possible backline??? The current team appears to be going gangbusters and getting the job done very professionally.

I had a look at their website and it appeared that the outside backs must have had a field day.

Cyril Towers (30)
He is related to James Grant, maybe a nephew, not sure.

John is indeed the nephew of James Grant. His father is Doug, James' brother, and a pretty useful winger in Orange back in the day. My understanding is that James was offered an academy contract at the Brumbies but knocked it back in the hope of something better elsewhere, which did not happen. He certainly goes well at club level and scores plenty of tries. He is very tall and lightning fast when in the clear.

Cyril Towers (30)
Do you think that Burgess,Barnes and McCalman will be back for Uni?

It sure will be a cracker and if Huxley, Mafi and Inman are all back as well what will be the possible backline??? The current team appears to be going gangbusters and getting the job done very professionally.

I had a look at their website and it appeared that the outside backs must have had a field day.

Burgess and McCalman haven't had a lot of footy lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did play in the next couple of games. Unsure about Barnes. Hux should be back soon and will slot in at fullback with Trist moving back to wing. Alfi Mafi played half a game in 2nds on the weekend coming back from yet another hammy strain, hopefully he can stay fit and be available for the business end of the season. I am unsure about Mitch Inman's injury but he hasn't played for about 4 weeks. Potentially Uni could have a backline something like: Burgess, Barnes, Carter, Mitchell, Betham, Trist and Huxley for this weekends clash with the Woodies. If Barnes doesn't play Dan Kelly will play 5/8 and he's no slouch either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Grant is a good player. I had him down as an alternate when I started the first Melbourne Rebels player thread last October. He's always been fast but this year I have seen even a better footie player than he was in 2009. One can imagine his taking a few cross kicks on the full and scoring S15 tries.

What a pity we don't have an ARC now; if we did a few players like Grant would be able to prove themselves at a higher level than club rugby. Lots of players on the fringes have had chances in the various S14 stables and playing in their Twos teams, but they got their chance on club form.

For many, club rugby is their top level and nobody knows it at the time, even the player. You can't beat an ARC type comp for assessing players for Super rugby because that intermediate step acts as a filter. Too many get into the S15 stables instead of others and clog up spots. You can't blame the guys who pick them either.

By contrast RSA and NZ Super teams have a better idea of the merits of their players for Super rugby because of the Currie Cup and NPC.

Yeah, it's a pity.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Does the recent resurrection of the Sydney Rugby Union offer the prospect of a level of Rugby below S15 but above Shute Shield Level?

Could a Sydney Rep Side play a series of games against visiting International sides on Wednesday Games, as well as vs NSW Country, ACT, Victoria, WA, Qld Country, and Brisbane Unions?

This would allow a form of genuine tribal support without the manufactured approach characterised by the ARC.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Grant is a good player. I had him down as an alternate when I started the first Melbourne Rebels player thread last October. He's always been fast but this year I have seen even a better footie player than he was in 2009. One can imagine his taking a few cross kicks on the full and scoring S15 tries.

What a pity we don't have an ARC now; if we did a few players like Grant would be able to prove themselves at a higher level than club rugby. Lots of players on the fringes have had chances in the various S14 stables and playing in their Twos teams, but they got their chance on club form.

For many, club rugby is their top level and nobody knows it at the time, even the player. You can't beat an ARC type comp for assessing players for Super rugby because that intermediate step acts as a filter. Too many get into the S15 stables instead of others and clog up spots. You can't blame the guys who pick them either.

By contrast RSA and NZ Super teams have a better idea of the merits of their players for Super rugby because of the Currie Cup and NPC.

Yeah, it's a pity.

Lee is like the Ancient Mariner, doomed to tell the sad tale of what could have been.

I think another benefit of three tier rugby is the level increase is physicality; Grant is a good example. He has great potential, but a gradual increase in physicality as he progresses through to the top S15 would prepare him physically and technically for the rigors of elite rugby better than the current set up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Can anyone tell me if Adam D'Arcy has a S15 contract anywhere? I've been watching this bloke run around for Manly on the ABC for the last couple of seasons and looks like dynamite to me. Surely there are some Aussie S15 sides looking for an outside back?

Likewise Ed Brenac from Easts. He's always looked pretty useful to me.

I'm with you Lee, bring back the ARC or something like it, though Sydney club footy is sort of a substitute for it at the moment with all the test and S15 players running around in first grade.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Adam D'Arcy was in the NSW Pro Academy in 2010. He has not secured a S15 contract. I assume that NSW have retained him in their academy but I am not sure that the academy positions have been announced.

Ed Brenac must be pushing 30 now. I think he was a great player in 2007 but his best footy is behind him now.

Hoping for the ARC or equivalent to return to is just a dream - it won't happen. The ARU believe that we can sustain only 1 professional competition (ie S15) and they are looking to expand that to cover more of the calendar.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Adam D'Arcy was in the NSW Pro Academy in 2010. He has not secured a S15 contract. I assume that NSW have retained him in their academy but I am not sure that the academy positions have been announced.

Ed Brenac must be pushing 30 now. I think he was a great player in 2007 but his best footy is behind him now.

Hoping for the ARC or equivalent to return to is just a dream - it won't happen. The ARU believe that we can sustain only 1 professional competition (ie S15) and they are looking to expand that to cover more of the calendar.

Thanks E&E. Maybe the Rebels could pick up D'Arcy. I think he has the game to play at Super rugby level. I wasn't sure on Brenac's age, but there you go. I've just been impressed by what I've seen of his work rate in the loose.

As far as the ARC goes, I agree it's a tough one for the ARU to finance. Doesn't mean it's not a pity we don't have it.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks E&E. Maybe the Rebels could pick up D'Arcy. I think he has the game to play at Super rugby level. I wasn't sure on Brenac's age, but there you go. I've just been impressed by what I've seen of his work rate in the loose.

As far as the ARC goes, I agree it's a tough one for the ARU to finance. Doesn't mean it's not a pity we don't have it.

I think the Rebels roster is full - perhaps your Force could do with him.

W

Welly Rugby

I think Darcy's size would hold him back and he would be exposed defensively at the next level. A soft front on tackle resulted in Turner's try on the weekend.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well we said the same over here about JOC (James O'Connor)'s defence and he's improved. I think he's worth a punt in one of the franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.