• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
How on earth does the Dud get another gig in firsts after his performance last week? Glad to see Preston is on the opposite wing to the Player Formerly Known as Ratu. I still recall him being flattened at Coogee last year.

Cyril Towers (30)
AussieDominance said:
TG or Riddler what's happened to Sinclair Fischer - Gray why hasn't he played the last few seasons?

Great name for a Gordon player.
Reminds of the day one Uni wag yelled out to NFJ: "hit em with your hyphen, Nick"

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Southern Districts 36 beat Easts 15 at Woollahra, earning a 4-try bonus point in their 7th straight win.

Easts were only 3 behind at halftime thanks to committed defence and Southern committing lots of simple errors. However in a wet 2nd half, Easts had no answer for South's big rumbling forwards. In Vaea, Timani, Ulugia, & Samo they've big, powerful humans who broke tackles, offloaded at will and carved Easts up in tight. Souths' strong running centres Tatupu and Morton had nice touches and finished with 2 tries each.

Souths look ominous and it'll be interesting to see how they progress as many Super 14 players will return to club rugby next week.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well done Souths. I am seeing a band wagon.

In other news: Penrith 14 West Harbour 10? Lindomner WTF?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The full set of results

Randwick 29 v Northern Suburbs 18 Coogee Oval 3:00pm
Penrith 14 v West Harbour 10 Nepean Rugby Park 3:00pm
Sydney University 11 v Eastwood 35 University Oval No. 1 3:00pm
Manly 31 v Gordon 8 Manly Oval 3:00pm
Parramatta 17 v Warringah 33 Granville Park 3:00pm
Eastern Suburbs 15 v Southern Districts 36 Woollahra Oval 3:00pm

R

rugbywhisperer

What the with Pirates -
Def Uni, def Manly, succumb to Penrith.
Please,

Cyril Towers (30)
Wasn't at the Uni game but am informed that they were well beaten as the score would suggest. These young guys are learning some tough lessons and Uni is being severely tested with so many S14, Aus 7s and Aus U/20s unavailable at the moment.
All those who complain about Uni's success seldom acknowledge this price that they pay.

And uncontested scrums for 60mins. WTF? :angryfire:

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
topo said:
Wasn't at the Uni game but am informed that they were well beaten as the score would suggest. These young guys are learning some tough lessons and Uni is being severely tested with so many S14, Aus 7s and Aus U/20s unavailable at the moment.
All those who complain about Uni's success seldom acknowledge this price that they pay.

Did that mean Uni had to drop a player off? Why did they not use the lower grade bookends? Who got injured Jerry Y or Paddy Ryan?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
AussieDominance said:
topo said:

Did that mean Uni had to drop a player off? Why did they not use the lower grade bookends? Who got injured Jerry Y or Paddy Ryan?

Why did you assume it was Uni that caused the non-scrums, AD? Eastwood were being driven back and fractured at every scrum before they conveniently ran out of competent replacements. As I saw it, when their second player left the field they claimed they could not replace him, i.e., they apparently had only one competent replacement. This was despite six previous games - Colts and Grade - being played at Uni on the day.

Presumably the philosophy was, whatever it takes.

Interestingly, Uni's run on hooker in Firsts had been called up from Colts where he has been playing prop all season.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
On this issue of uncontested scrums, which turn our game into a farce that isn't worth watching, surely the correct approach should be that when a front rower has to leave the field and there is no competent replacement available that he not be replaced. That is, his team should have to continue on one player down.

It would be interesting to observe how often uncontested scrums were declared once this law change was implemented .

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
the gambler said:
I believe that is the rule currently in place in the Subbies comp Bruce.

I wondered why AussieDominance asked "Did that mean Uni had to drop a player off?", gambler.

Assuming this to be the case, does anyone know how prevalent pretend scrums are in subbies?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didn't they change the rule in the Top 14, or it was at least proposed, that teams had to have 3 front row trained players on the bench?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Bruce Ross said:
AussieDominance said:
topo said:

Why did you assume it was Uni that caused the non-scrums, AD? Eastwood were being driven back and fractured at every scrum before they conveniently ran out of competent replacements. As I saw it, when their second player left the field they claimed they could not replace him, i.e., they apparently had only one competent replacement. This was despite six previous games - Colts and Grade - being played at Uni on the day.

Interestingly, Uni's run on hooker in Firsts had been called up from Colts where he has been playing prop all season.

Sorry Bruce. I thought it was Uni because of the fact Topo had raised it. Interesting now that it is Eastwood though which one of the Woodies props was at fault? I am assuming 3. Dylan Brass? Dylan was the Australian schools prop two seasons ago, big lump of a lad but I watched him play against Gordon a few weeks ago and yes Eastwood's scrum was pretty mediocre.

They should get some of the rep players back in the next few weeks of which we know the Eastwood tradition of producing a front rower.... Brass also got cleaned up by Salesi Manu another Australian schools prop from two seasons ago.

And the reason I raised the drop one off option, as gambler mentioned it is being used in Subbies & Juniors in Sydney this season.

If a squad of 22 is picked you should have 6 front row capable(including hooker) in a squad of 23 you should have 7 front row capable.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
You were right, AD. Apparently it was Brass who was subbed off injured; then a few minutes later the replacement came off.

wilbur

Frank Row (1)

What an unpleasant little man you are

You got towelled up and instead of taking it like a man you whinge like a girl

pathetic

Cyril Towers (30)
Steady on Wilbur, that's no way to open your batting.
As a Uni supporter (and a fairly rabid one at that) I am happy to admit that Eastwood won and won easily. I am sure Bruce would feel the same way about it. The points margin is hard to argue against.

Having said that, there's something wrong when a team (whatever team in whatever circumstance) is getting demolished at scrum time and they can take the option of uncontested scrums, thus removing a very significant advantage from their opponents, without any penalty to themselves. Regardless of the game or the score that is a point worth debating.

wilbur

Frank Row (1)
topo said:
Regardless of the game or the score that is a point worth debating.

of course it is and I doubt anyone would disagree..I certainly don't

What I do reckon they would disagree with is the snide accusation that "other clubs" are happy to stoop to such dastardly underhand behavior....

Status
Not open for further replies.