• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v Tahs, round 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A very, very tough game for Cheika and his crew. It'd be tempting to target a win against the Stormers as it's the second week in SAf, but the Tahs must measure themselves against the better teams if they're going to challenge for the title this year. A good performance in Durban's essential in the bigger picture of the Tahs' progress.

Folau's under some sort of cloud, what does Cheika do? There's a readymade (and under-used) replacement in Rob Horne on the bench so I s'pose Kurtley goes back to 15. Which wouldn't be a bad thing as he can slot into first receiver when Foley's buried at the bottom of a ruck while keeping his running options open for breaks further out. Does Cheika's choice of Kepu at 1, Ryan at 3, Potgieter at 6 and Dennis at 8 last week affect his run-on side this week?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we'll see:

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Potgieter
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. Beale (Horne)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Alofa
15. Folau (Beale)

I reckon that is our top side currently and Cheika will go with that this week. I think there is a chance that McCutcheon will come on to the bench for Hoiles as he'll be looking to give the extra players a run on tour.

Gray and Lance will probably get a go on the bench against the Stormers (and McCutcheon if he doesn't get a go against the Sharks).

The Force game on the way back could see a couple of those players start.

Hopefully we'll get some positive news regarding Folau today and he'll be able to fly out tomorrow morning.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Whether Folau plays or not - is it crucial to the Tahs' chances to win vs the Sharks? Would not think so.

The Tahs want to win because the want the points, because they are going to smash the opposition, regardless of whether Izzy plays, or who the referee is.

After watching the Sharks vs the Reds, I'd say that it is eminently doable.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Toughest game of the year so far, I would agree with BHs team. A bonus point here is the minimum requirement if we can take 5 points out of South Africa it will have been a satisfactory trip.

Has the referee been announced yet? i.e Will we be left with someone as one eyed as the guy in charge of the Reds Lions game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has the referee been announced yet? i.e Will we be left with someone as one eyed as the guy in charge of the Reds Lions game?

Unless there is a big shakeup this week, we are listed as having Mike Fraser.

Glen Jackson and Marius Jonker are the assistants. Deon van Blommenstein is the TMO.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am really keen to see if the Tah's can get there attack going against with a team that I figure has similar defensive structures to the Brumbies.

I think this is a really good test for the Tah's and regardless of the result will help them immensely with dealing with tough defence come the finals. But in saying that they cant let too many points slip.

I think they should have enough to get the result.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
It has taken a good number of years for the waratahs redevelopment program to kick in. And all it needed was a freak AFL player, but if izzy is out this weekend y'all are fucked. :)

Tahs play like they did against the reds or better they will put plenty point on the board. I will be tipping the tahs.
Fuck that was hard to write

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Bulls beat the Sharks this weekend by outplaying them at the breakdown and slowing down the ball.

The Sharks had no plan B when they did not generate quick pill. They lost their halves after 20 minutes which also did not help.

The Tahs can do to same but they will have to be 120% better than the Bulls were because the Sharks are at home and Jake White is going to kick their collective arse in training this week.

Them fish will be angry.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lambie is likely to be out for about six weeks with a torn bicep (to be confirmed later today) and Reinach will be out for a similar amount of time with a broken hand.

Fred Zeilinga is apparently the likely replacement at 10.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Zeilinga is a great prospect. He was excellent in the Currie Cup.

He is Green at this level though.

Run at him and try and rush him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The next month or so could be really tricky for the Sharks although their draw is favourable.

Their lineout has already suffered from losing Pieter Steph du Toit as he was by far their best lock and particularly lineout jumper.

Charl McLeod carries a lot of responsibility now and after him they seem to have very little depth.

Certainly the Tahs need to come at them all guns blazing as with these injuries they're certainly at risk of getting knocked off at home.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I bet the Sharks have to now think of a new lineout calling technique, before when they faced NZ and Aus teams I'm sure they just spoke Afrikaans and blatantly said who the ball was going to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau out.

Time for Plan B.

I think that will be Horne to 12, Beale to 15 and Lance to the bench.

We'll miss Folau but hopefully the rest of the boys can overcome that and put in a huge performance.

With any luck Folau will be right for the Stormers game or at very least the Force the week after in Perth.

This three match tour will certainly be crucial to our season.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
"This three match tour will certainly be crucial to our season".

All three teams are capable if the Tah's are not playing at 100%. In the past the Force have been a bogey team - but now even more so. Could be really tricky to finish the tour against them it will really be a worry.

Sadly it was inevitable the the Tah's would have to deal with no Izzy at some point. I suppose the silver lining is its early season, you have banked some good points and he is only out for a few weeks. The BP's may be the difference at the end of the season and your potential saviour should thing deviate from plan A.

The other point I just thought of is does Horne in the centres stiffen up that channel after the Brumbies gave Beale a work-over?

My other question is after this game - the physicality of the Stormers followed by the Force v's Beale, Foley etc. Are they vulnerable?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd put Horne to 12 to smash Steyn again.

I'd also play Crawford at 14 over Alofa for the kicking game, we're going to need it the next 2 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.