• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Schoolboy soccer ⚽️

j.monchy

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know the name of the boy on the drum for the Scots v High match? Needs to be banned. Causing a ruckus all night long.

kalac99

Frank Row (1)
Not sure how Hugo Gutteridge's hip is pulling up? Rumour has it he's out but yet to confirm. Would be a huge lost for Scots 2s
No not really, he's not influential at all and if they had to loose a player it would definitely be him. Won't make a difference apart from the fact that they can call up a better player to fill in his shoes.

j.monchy

Frank Row (1)
Still not sure about the Scots keeper quite shaky, after the depatrure of the Wanderers boy. John Spathis was seen roaming around in the 2nds net. Rumour has it he will be called up for the first GPS game to replace the 1sts keeper.

the_$pyder

Frank Row (1)
rumour has it that the notorious left winger for the Scots College, Edward Lynch, ripped his shirt off after scoring a deflection goal in a wooden spoon match after already leading 1-0. im not sure if this player has the composure to be able to maintain to keep his shirt on for the rest of the season but we will have to see.

j.monchy

Frank Row (1)
Not entirely sure how accurate that is. Anyway carrying on with the LB discussions for TSC, they might need someone that uses their left foot and is able to hit the wingers at least 3/10 times.

D.Kitchen

Frank Row (1)
They've just announced the GPS Team:

Thomas Argyrides (S)
Daniel Beretta (N)
Braden Dent (E)
Benjamin De Laet (I)
Taliesin Dorigo (N) Captain
Dylan Dutt (H)
Jack Hanzis (K)
Jack Hugo (N)
Joshua Lakkis (N)
Edward Lynch (S)
Liam Nottage (H)
Praneil Manandhar (H) VC
Rufus McGuinness (G)
Lewis Morsella (N)
Ari Sullivan (J)
Alex Valanidis (H)

Decently strong team I think. Not sure about how it will turn up against the likes of the CAS and ISSA, I think they have a slim chance to take the win at Valentine in the coming weeks.

I have a couple of questions about the selection, I think a couple of boys have been left quite hard done by with the selection, not sure about Dylan Dutt or Alex Valanidis, as High has never really been the strongest of teams in the competition, but after a cup final loss marginally they could prove me wrong.

I think the captain and vice-captain are quite well selected, even though he has the moment of quality, I don't think Edward Lynch deserves the role of captain or VC, as he has a tendency to lash out and lacks that leadership trait you would look for.

The front line is looking very dangerous, but also very selfish at the same time, with the likes of Rufus McGuiness and Edward Lynch mentioned before going head-to-head to keep the ball from each other.

But the defence is looking a bit weaker than in previous years with new faces all round in the backline.

What do you guys think of the selection?

D.Kitchen

Frank Row (1)
Round 1 GPS Predictions:

1st XI:
Joeys v Scots 2-1
Riverview v Sydney Boys 0-2
Kings v Grammar 2-2
Shore v Newington 0-3

2nd XI:
Joeys v Scots 3-0
Riverview v Sydney Boys 2-1
Kings v Grammar 1-3
Shore v Newington 0-2

What are your thoughts?

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)

Greetings Schoolboy Football forum, I haven't contributed here before but here is my prediction for the upcoming season on (E) even though it may be a bit early but I believe this info is valuable.

The Ascension of Shore in AAGPS Football: A Promising Season Ahead​

In the annals of the esteemed Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools (AAGPS) football, the narrative of Shore's forthcoming rise is one steeped in anticipation and fervent expectation. With the return of prodigious talents such as Alex Wilde and Fred King, who both graced the 1st XI with their prowess in the year of our Lord 2023, the stage is set for a remarkable resurgence.

These two paragons of the beautiful game, having taken a year's sojourn to engage in the rough-and-tumble of socials rugby, are poised to reclaim their rightful places on the hallowed pitch come the 2025 season. Their sabbatical, far from being a mere dalliance, has served to hone their athletic acumen and fortify their resolve.

The Stalwarts: Alex Wilde and Fred King​

Master Wilde, a striker of no mean repute, dazzled spectators and confounded adversaries with his nimble footwork and keen eye for goal during his previous tenure. His return is eagerly anticipated, for his presence on the field is akin to a clarion call, rallying his comrades to the cause of victory.

Equally, Master King, whose versatility and tenacity in the midfield were but glimpsed in his earlier performances, returns with a vigor undiminished. His year in the realm of rugby has imbued him with a robustness and strategic insight that shall undoubtedly serve the team well. Together, these two are expected to form the bedrock of Shore's campaign, their combined talents a harbinger of triumph.

The Anticipated Campaign of 2025​

The forthcoming season of AAGPS football promises to be one of the most exhilarating in recent memory, with Shore's squad emboldened by the return of Wilde and King. The team, now a harmonious blend of seasoned veterans and youthful exuberance, is prepared to contest every match with unparalleled zeal.

The strategy will be meticulously crafted, drawing upon the strengths of Wilde's offensive flair and King's midfield mastery. Shore's supporters, ever loyal and vociferous, shall provide a cacophony of encouragement, their faith in the team unwavering.

As the dawn of the 2025 season approaches, the air is thick with anticipation. The return of Alex Wilde and Fred King to the 1st XI heralds a new era for Shore in AAGPS football. Their time in socials rugby has only served to augment their capabilities, and their reunion on the pitch is expected to ignite a fervor that will propel Shore towards victory.

Thus, with hearts resolute and spirits undaunted, Shore marches forward, ready to etch their name in the annals of AAGPS football history once more.

Yours in sporting reason, A Sane Observer

- wisemaan

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What happens if Wilde and King enjoy their stints in rugby and decide to stay in the 15 a side code? Is their defection to God's game the bedrock for Shore's rugby rejuvenation?

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)
What happens if Wilde and King enjoy their stints in rugby and decide to stay in the 15 a side code? Is their defection to God's game the bedrock for Shore's rugby rejuvenation?
My thoughts @Lindommer

Should Messrs Wilde and King find themselves enraptured by the delights of rugby and choose to remain within the sacred realm of the fifteen-a-side code, one might ponder if their transition to what many deem 'God's game' shall indeed serve as the cornerstone for a resurgence in Shore's rugby fortunes.

It must be noted, however, that while their appearances upon the field have thus far been confined to social engagements, these gentlemen have exhibited a notable degree of talent. Their athletic prowess is beyond reproach, yet it is apparent they have much to prove before their names might be etched in the annals of rugby lore.

Nonetheless, it is with high likelihood that these stalwart athletes shall ultimately revert to their first love, the game of soccer. They are driven by a fervent desire to secure victories and uplift the spirit and culture of their team. Indeed, the call of the soccer field, with its promise of glory and camaraderie, is strong and relentless.

Yet, one cannot help but wistfully entertain the notion of Wilde and King continuing to grace the rugby field. Their presence would undoubtedly be a boon to the sport, infusing it with vigor and passion. Ah, but 'tis a fine dream, to see them remain and partake in the true 'real football,' the game ordained by the divine.

- wisemaan

OffPutPlayer

Stan Wickham (3)
Liam nottage and jack Hugo seem like contentious picks at CB. The Likes of Hugo ward of grammar and Ben Hadfield from shore for me seem like better CB options. Jack Hanzis seems to have had some kings bias compared to Joeys captain josh mchut who is a much better option at cdm, in my opinion.
Jack Hugo was in the gps team last year - I'm not sure how this is at all contentious? I've heard terrible things about this Liam Nottage character. A red card against Kings was surely enough of a deterrent to get him out of the team. The only man deserving of the squad was the curly haired puyol-esque presence of Hugo Ward

OffPutPlayer

Stan Wickham (3)
My thoughts @Lindommer

Should Messrs Wilde and King find themselves enraptured by the delights of rugby and choose to remain within the sacred realm of the fifteen-a-side code, one might ponder if their transition to what many deem 'God's game' shall indeed serve as the cornerstone for a resurgence in Shore's rugby fortunes.

It must be noted, however, that while their appearances upon the field have thus far been confined to social engagements, these gentlemen have exhibited a notable degree of talent. Their athletic prowess is beyond reproach, yet it is apparent they have much to prove before their names might be etched in the annals of rugby lore.

Nonetheless, it is with high likelihood that these stalwart athletes shall ultimately revert to their first love, the game of soccer. They are driven by a fervent desire to secure victories and uplift the spirit and culture of their team. Indeed, the call of the soccer field, with its promise of glory and camaraderie, is strong and relentless.

Yet, one cannot help but wistfully entertain the notion of Wilde and King continuing to grace the rugby field. Their presence would undoubtedly be a boon to the sport, infusing it with vigor and passion. Ah, but 'tis a fine dream, to see them remain and partake in the true 'real football,' the game ordained by the divine.

- wisemaan
I think the real threat from Shore is the great Tom Maslen. Like Kante in midfield, the man doesn't stop running and he just wins every 50/50. Heard there's a new tactical change to see him at right back - can't wait to see what the GPS Reece James could complete.

SydneyFC10

Bob McCowan (2)
I have a couple of questions about the selection, I think a couple of boys have been left quite hard done by with the selection, not sure about Dylan Dutt or Alex Valanidis, as High has never really been the strongest of teams in the competition, but after a cup final loss marginally they could prove me wrong.
Alex Valanidis (H) (VVC) (GK) has been an absolute stalwart in the High backline for the last 3 years. Critical to the resurgence of the program, his impeccable distribution and impossible saves alongside his questionable off-field actions will make him an absolute presence in the GPS 1s changing room.

Kingsontop

Bob McCowan (2)
Round 1 GPS Predictions:

1st XI:
Joeys v Scots 2-1
Kings v Grammar 2-2
Shore v Newington 0-3

2nd XI:
Joeys v Scots 3-0
Kings v Grammar 1-3
Shore v Newington 0-2

What are your thoughts?
Firsts predictions:
Scots v Joeys 3-1 Scots. Predicting Joeys to win 2-1 when Scots beat Joeys 4-1 exactly a week before the season starts seems wild. Riverview v SBHS 2-0 SBHS win I agree. Riverview don’t have an attack. King grammar 3-1 Grammar win seems fair. Shore Newington 1-1 draw. Shore have been in good form losing to Newington 2-1 and coming of two consecutive wins I could see an upset.

Phillip Barlow

Bob McCowan (2)
Round 1 GPS Predictions:

1st XI:
Joeys v Scots 2-1
Kings v Grammar 2-2
Shore v Newington 0-3

2nd XI:
Joeys v Scots 3-0
Kings v Grammar 1-3
Shore v Newington 0-2

What are your thoughts?
Predicting Joeys to win is straight-up ridiculous. Scots played them off the park last week in the plate. Scots 3-1 in the 1s (defensive instabilities between the back four especially the left side cb and lb) and in the 2s, a 2-1 victory with a Rosco Strike double.

Newington to walk straight through Shore no upsets there.

However, off the back of the previous plate game against Scots, the 2s High boys will be up for a good match against Riverview. Expecting an upset there.

Phillip Barlow

Bob McCowan (2)
I completely agree, Scots are a very strong side especially the back four which will be hard for Joeys attackers to go through, add on attacking threats like Lynch, Argyrides and Hur who all made the AAGPS Squad, with lynch and Argyrides making the actual team.
Also Bronson Psirakis who made the 16's GPS squad adds to the attacking strength of the side

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)
God evening AAGPS Football Forum enthusiasts.

RETURN OF FRED KING TO FOOTBALL

Dear All,

'Tis with great joy we announce the return of Fred King to football next season. Known for his remarkable agility and strategic brilliance, King has been a standout in the AAGPS. His return to the soccer field is highly anticipated, promising to infuse his team with vigor and determination.

KING'S ATHLETIC PAST

Fred has excelled in both football and rugby, showcasing his versatility and dedication. His exploits on the field have earned him admiration and respect, making his return to football a significant event for all supporters.

WILDE'S RUGBY FUTURE

Meanwhile, Wilde faces a pivotal decision. He may choose to stay with the rugby 15-a-side code, where his talents have shone brightly. If he does, he could carve out a distinguished career in what many call 'God's game.'

A SEASON OF PROMISE

Fred King's return to football and Wilde's potential future in rugby present a thrilling narrative. We eagerly await the upcoming season, filled with hope and excitement for the triumphs that lie ahead.

Tis may be the dark horse Shore may posses to bring home the crown for them in 26!!!!!

- wisemaan

TikiTakaTitan

Frank Row (1)
Also Bronson Psirakis who made the 16's GPS squad adds to the attacking strength of the side
Totally agree,

I can say I have heard big things from this young gun... made the GPS under 16s and looks to be in great form as of recent performances, playing his hand in most attacking opportunities for Scots.

Although he boasts a 50kg bodyweight, keep an eye out for his immense strength, sources from inside the John Solomon sports club gym recorded a 100kg bench from the young fella.

Just a few thoughts, yours sincerely,

TikiTakaTitan.

OffPutPlayer

Stan Wickham (3)
They've just announced the GPS Team:

Thomas Argyrides (S)
Daniel Beretta (N)
Braden Dent (E)
Benjamin De Laet (I)
Taliesin Dorigo (N) Captain
Dylan Dutt (H)
Jack Hanzis (K)
Jack Hugo (N)
Joshua Lakkis (N)
Edward Lynch (S)
Liam Nottage (H)
Praneil Manandhar (H) VC
Rufus McGuinness (G)
Lewis Morsella (N)
Ari Sullivan (J)
Alex Valanidis (H)

Decently strong team I think. Not sure about how it will turn up against the likes of the CAS and ISSA, I think they have a slim chance to take the win at Valentine in the coming weeks.

I think the captain and vice-captain are quite well selected, even though he has the moment of quality, I don't think Edward Lynch deserves the role of captain or VC, as he has a tendency to lash out and lacks that leadership trait you would look for.

The front line is looking very dangerous, but also very selfish at the same time, with the likes of Rufus McGuiness and Edward Lynch mentioned before going head-to-head to keep the ball from each other.

But the defence is looking a bit weaker than in previous years with new faces all round in the backline.

What do you guys think of the selection?
I've also heard that Dylan Dutt (H) and Rufus McGuiness (G) have a special relationship on and off the field. Can't wait to see their link up tear up the CIS tournament.