• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Didn't he get poached to Cranbrook and bring over Ian Williams for his last year,having played oz schools in 5th form as it then was?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Didn't he get poached to Cranbrook and bring over Ian Williams for his last year,having played oz schools in 5th form as it then was?
I think Moose Pitt was probably more responsible for Williams and Flemons having a one year Brook experience given he was involved with the Aust Schoolboys at that time.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Now you have let the secret out: and the earlier of those 2 involved wholesale recruiting of randwick juniors - including Stu Pinkerton IIRC.
The apologists on here think that TSC is some historical powerhouse of rugby: if you go back even more than 20 years you'll see it aint so.
This is why their recruiting is (a) so obvious and (b) not in keeping with the TRUE history of the school.
Far too much drinking from the TSC kool aid.
Mind you, the same is true of Newington.

In 1993 the TSC rugby premiership team had been boosted by several "imports" recruited after an Australian Under 16 championships. Recent events indicate a similar large-scale recruiting process by Scots. The intervening years saw some boys arrive to bolster the 1st XV but nowhere near the extent of the either 1993 team or more recently.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The fourth argument is that concentrating all the resources in one group of schools does little to grow and spread the virtues of our wonderful game, and that when all the effective competition from the other associations has been eliminated, who do they compete against.

When was the last time that CAS or CHS genuinely challenged an AAGPS rep team? This one sided domination does little to prepare those chosen for games when they are up against genuinely tough and skilled opposition wearing Black, Saffer green or even those from the other side of the equator.

Ah the memories of wonderful CHS sides of the late '60's looking and playing like grade teams. Steven Knight terrorising the private school boys, fast open rugby, and the thrill of power running.
Thanks HJ for the flashback.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What do you mean?
I mean what do you call the program and what is quite good about it - serious question and not having a go

Facilities, coaches and time being available.

I don't necessarily think it's good from an educational point of view, but as a rugby programme it seems to be well-resourced and well-structured.

EDIT: There's no reason why their programme can't produce very good rugby teams - assuming that is a priority for TSC, which it seems to be. They've actually undermined their own programme with the targeting of "talented sportsmen". (I must remember to use that specific term so as not to arouse Dodgyknee from his slumber - especially as there seems to be a real estate slump in the wind ;))

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And with that, I'm abandoning this thread for another year. I won't miss much - when I come back it will all be much the same.
Thanks for dropping by,but don't come back.
With respect,having 1970/80's values when discussing this topic in 2014 is quite naive.

Last year,unequivocally there was a Schoolboy that earned more than the minimum wage for a full tine employee ,solely for his Rugby skills,that he exclusively provided to a GPS School.
He spent every second Thursday (payday) on the punt in his local TAB,without complaint from the School.
He was witnessed to lose in excess of $500 on the punt,on his free day when in camp with NSW Schoolboys.
Want to bet if he got an ATAR?
Don't you see things have moved on a little bit,from getting a big raw boned youngster from the bush that had a great attitude, that could do with a leg up ?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for dropping by,but don't come back.
With respect,having 1970/80's values when discussing this topic in 2014 is quite naive.

Last year,unequivocally there was a Schoolboy that earned more than the minimum wage for a full tine employee ,solely for his Rugby skills,that he exclusively provided to a GPS School.
He spent a spent every second Thursday (payday) on the punt in his local TAB,without complaint from the School.
He was witnessed to lose in excess of $500 on the punt,on his free day when in camp with NSW Schoolboys.
Want to bet if he got an ATAR?
Don't you see things have moved on a little bit,from getting a big raw boned youngster from the bush that had a great attitude, that could do with a leg up ?

That kid may not have got an ATAR, but I bet he can use punctuation better than you can. Bye all!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Isn't it interesting how this thread fired up after the lopsided first round of the GPS?
The b'ball expose seems to have quieted the naysayers, however. or is it that we have not reached that phase in the cycle yet?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Isn't it interesting how this thread fired up after the lopsided first round of the GPS?
The b'ball expose seems to have quieted the naysayers, however. or is it that we have not reached that phase in the cycle yet?

The admitted presence of 61 "talented sportsmen" on bursaries and the acknowledgement of irregularities in the enrolement process and the promise that TSC staff would no longer approach students from other schools seems to have left the naysayers becalmed. They're back to the old impoverished kid who needs a leg up line. (Not too much poverty around Avalon and Newport though;))

EDIT: Things may really fire up after Scots play Riverview, whenever that is.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
IS,
The Shamrocks (Woonona) have lost 5 to Sydney private schools alone, a mix of scholarship part scholarship. Our 3 state U15 reps, we were never going to be allowed to keep them, and 2 others. This is just from 1 Illawarra club. I don't know who the ones are that have gone to Beecroft and Dural I would be surprised if they were ours. Shamrocks tend to come home on the weekend if they can.

The "dural and beecroft" boys of which you speak are both ex shamrocks

F

footywarrior

It is widely said that SJC does not import but I hear there is a recent addition <no names needed - Mod> on a scholarship to the college. Is in the 16 B's, not the A's.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
10387946_753515748032727_153681783_n.jpg

These lads - in their Matraville High School Strip.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Spotted this morning at Drummoyne Oval (host of the NSW Under 15 championships) were staff from Scotts. Of note they were dressed in college attire (ties) which gave it away. Have watched them already speak to several parents and coaches.

Assuming that all participants at the champs are at school, does this mean that the undertaking the TSC staff would not approach students from other schools is now null and void?