• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
OK, we got the win and the scoreline suggests it was a beating. However, there were some periods of poor play and some things that we saw won't be good enough against better teams. For starters, the goal kicking at 6/11 won't scare anyone, especially South Africa, and we need to find a backup very quickly and based on tonight's game, Berrick Barnes has to be that man.

Our re-starts were again poor. I saw one where Nathan Sharpe caught it flat footed and there were others that weren't convincing and if we give away easy possession in later games, it gives the opposition easy field position in or around our 22m area without having to do too much.

And finally, the handling errors were again a problem. Last week it rained and the ball was slippery - this week there was no rain and the ball was slippery. I said this last week, but everyone knows that the conditions are like in NZ at this time of year and until we learn to adapt to the conditions then I think we can kiss it goodbye.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
OK, we got the win and the scoreline suggests it was a beating. However, there were some periods of poor play and some things that we saw won't be good enough against better teams. For starters, the goal kicking at 6/11 won't scare anyone, especially South Africa, and we need to find a backup very quickly and based on tonight's game, Berrick Barnes has to be that man.

Our re-starts were again poor. I saw one where Nathan Sharpe caught it flat footed and there were others that weren't convincing and if we give away easy possession in later games, it gives the opposition easy field position in or around our 22m area without having to do too much.

And finally, the handling errors were again a problem. Last week it rained and the ball was slippery - this week there was no rain and the ball was slippery. I said this last week, but everyone knows that the conditions are like in NZ at this time of year and until we learn to adapt to the conditions then I think we can kiss it goodbye.

Good assessment - my comments to my wife were "it wasn't a clinical performance like South Africas against Namibia" ..... that said - they did the job. I picked them by 60+ ... so I think its a pass mark..

L

Linus

BJ I agree, think Sharpe Vickerman and Horwill are the 3 locks and Berrick now picks up the utility gig on the bench. The signs are there that we don't leak points when still playing poorly and that's the key to being in the position to win, the question is can they still get over the finish line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The injuries are devastating. I thought Horne was superb in the first half. If he's now out for the tournament it would be such a shame. I thought he looked leagues ahead of Fainga'a and McCabe.

I thought Shmoo had a really strong game. He didn't fear the contact, recycled the ball every time and made a couple of good little passes. I would have no issues with him going back into the starting side in the quarter finals if required.

Palu was strong. I hope it is only a light hamstring tear. Knowing him, that is probably wishful thinking. Here I was thinking that he would be perfect for the last half an hour replacing Samo in quarters.

TPN looked a lot better for the run. After another run against Russia he should be a good substitute for Moore late in the game in the quarters.

Lastly, I thought Barnes was excellent. He ran the game well, made good decisions, runs well, passes well and his goal kicking was much better than Cooper. If somehow Horne is alright, I'd love to see Cooper, Barnes and Horne playing 10, 12 and 13. I still think that is our best combination possible.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A reported fractured cheekbone from that first hit at the beginning of the game...that boy cannot catch a break.

That bloke catches every break!!! Still, if it happened in the first tackle then it may not be too serious. because he played pretty well thereafter. Just have to wait on the scans. Conrad Smith will be sleeping easier, the thought of Horne at 13 would give him nightmares.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is it the same thing that happened to Lockyear? Caus he didn't play the next game and it f#cked em. Good motivation for Horne to get back out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.