• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
RWC Wallabies Vs The Yanks - 23 September

Feel free to discuss anything regarding the game here.

I'll start the ball rolling by picking the team I'd like to see start against the Americans.

1.Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Vickerman
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. KB (Kurtley Beale)

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Samo
20. Higginbotham
21. Burgess
22. Horne

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think we need our strongest XV for this match to iron out some problems...

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Vickerman
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. McCabe
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. Higginbotham
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Horne

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
The right thing to do to be thnking about the next game, yet so hard to get particularly fired about it at this point.

Fairly unenviable position - rather than getting stronger with each game, we've taken steps backwards and now have two nothing games to stew over this and get what is already a set team, playing better. Not too much tinkering that can be done. Maybe the fact we're likely going to have to play a "mini tri-nations" again means there won't be too many unknowns. Still, not a tantalizing prospect since (a) they're all away games; and (b) SA (and to a lesser extent so far ABs) are building nicely. SA even played against type and went the attractive running rugby (Morne Steyn and running/passing fly half, who knew?).

Up is down. Down is up.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd be hoping that Dingo reveals a gameplan to the guys before they run out. If we have that, we a place start a rebuilding process.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
RWC Wallabies Vs The Yanks - 23 September

Feel free to discuss anything regarding the game here.

I'll start the ball rolling by picking the team I'd like to see start against the Americans.

1.Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Vickerman
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. KB (Kurtley Beale)

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Samo
20. Higginbotham
21. Burgess
22. Horne

That is the team I would love to see picked. I would put Samo on the bench only to give him a rest and allow Palu some game time. Absolutely agree that Barnes should get a run, along with Mitchell. If Barnes and Mitchell come through the next two pool stages with some solid form and signs of improvement then this would be my "best team" for the knockout matches. I want to see a confident Barnes at IC throwing some well timed passes to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) running a great line. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been quieter on the field than I would like and I am starting to feel like our current centre pairing can't pass a football for shit. I am feeling really uneasy as our current midfield is looking very one-dimensional. And please Mr. Deans.....GIVE THE BENCH SOME GAME TIME!!!!!

Would it be a crazy idea to put Cooper on the bench? I am a big fan of QC (Quade Cooper) and am amazed at his ball skills but I have my doubts. I am starting to feel that his judgment leaves a bit to be desired and he would be better suited as an impact player in the last 20. I am doubting his ability steer the team around the park and control the game (at least on a consistent basis) needed for AUS to make it all the way.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is the team I would love to see picked. I would put Samo on the bench only to give him a rest and allow Palu some game time. Absolutely agree that Barnes should get a run, along with Mitchell. If Barnes and Mitchell come through the next two pool stages with some solid form and signs of improvement then this would be my "best team" for the knockout matches. I want to see a confident Barnes at IC throwing some well timed passes to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) running a great line. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been quieter on the field than I would like and I am starting to feel like our current centre pairing can't pass a football for shit. I am feeling really uneasy as our current midfield is looking very one-dimensional. And please Mr. Deans.....GIVE THE BENCH SOME GAME TIME!!!!!

Thanks, you basically typed exactly how I wanted to explain my picks but I was too lazy. I would also just add that I'd like to see bench get used that I picked. Ideally TPN @ 50, Slipper @ 60, Simmons @ 60, Samo @ 50, Higginbotham @ 50, Horne @ 60, Burgess @ 79.59

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
If we're wanting "full-strength" teams then I don't see why anyone is giving Rocky the 6 jersey.

Higgers showed more fire in his belly and was more noticeable in the 9 minutes he was on than Rocky did in 80 minutes.

Bar that change, I'd have Swats team.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It doesnt matter who we pick really, without a gameplan we aren't going to perform.

We should be easily putting 60 or 70 points on a team like the USA, I suspect it will be a lot closer than that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we're wanting "full-strength" teams then I don't see why anyone is giving Rocky the 6 jersey.

Higgers showed more fire in his belly and was more noticeable in the 9 minutes he was on than Rocky did in 80 minutes.

Bar that change, I'd have Swats team.

Probably because Rocky is more the complete, better 6.

Higginbotham's role is as an impact player late in the game.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think we're probably better off playing really shit with whatever lineup and (probably) getting away with it for the next two games, which will then leave us open to play our max of three good games in a row and maybe, maybe, maybe still win this thing.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Probably because Rocky is more the complete, better 6.

Completely off his feet after 20 minutes. And then he's only good for another 15 after half time. Also completely out of form.

Mind you I still think he's the better of the two, just hasn't been playing like he is.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Completely off his feet after 20 minutes [Rocky]. And then he's only good for another 15 after half time. Also completely out of form.

Mind you I still think he's the better of the two, just hasn't been playing like he is.

Hence why you would sub Higginbotham in at 50. Wish robbie would learn how to use the bench

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Palu has to be given a shot at 8. Samo's last couple of games haven't been great and his performance at Suncorp against the ABs now looks like the exception rather than the rule. It also needs to be remembered that at his age, 6 day turnarounds are tough and he definitely should never play more than 60 minutes.

I want to see Cooper/Barnes/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Cooper/Barnes/Horne at 10, 12 and 13.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This is the game to rest some forwards, give others a full game to regain match fitness and try a new back combination. Sort out our true best team and then play that team vs Russia, the week before the quarters start.

1 kepu
2 ton
3 slipper
4 Simmons
5 sharpe
6 higginbotham
7 mccalman
8 palu
9 genia
10 Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 barnes
13 McCabe
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

16 finger
17 Alexander
18 vickerman
19 Elsom
20 burgess
21 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
22 Horne

I feel that McCabe should be moved out one with barnes added to ic to stabilize the decision making. McCabe and barnes can swap at times to give crash ball options and barnes being a wider distributor. Cooper and Beale need more time to improve, but I would only have genia play 40 minutes.

The above team rests our slightly injured players (pocock, moore) plus ones that are carrying a high workload (samo, horwill), while trying out the legitimate alternatives to certain positions (slipper, higginbotham, palu, mitchell).

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Wallaby Twitter has been pretty quiet since Saturday's inane "wheels on the bus" from quade. I think they are hurting and angry. Got a feeling they are going to come out breathing brimstone against the USA. Pity it is a week late.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Deans has said a couple of times that he intends to use all 30 members of his squad, so in theory, over the next two games Phipps, Barnes, Horne, S. Fainga'a, Ma'afu and Sharpe will all feature. I also imagine that Mitchell and Palu will get much more game time, along with Barnes and Horne.
With this in mind, I don't think it's ideal that we pick a full strength team against the US and I don't think Robbie will. I'd rather that we get closer to our best XV against Russia rather than come into the QF against South Africa with no chemistry. We won't play the Russians with a full strength team, but it won't be far from it. This weekend is a good opportunity to give some of our players a rest and an opportunity to fix their attitudes.
My USA XV:
1. Kepu
2. Fainga'a < 60 mins
3. Ma'afu < 60 mins
4. Sharpe
5. Vickerman < 45 mins
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock (c)
8. Palu < 45 mins
9. Burgess < 55 mins
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell <55 mins
12. Barnes
13. Ashley-Cooper < 50 mins
14. O'Connor
15. Beale
-----------------------
16. Polota-Nau > 60 mins
17. Slipper > 60 mins
18. Simmons > 45 mins
19. Elsom > 45 mins
20. Genia > 55 mins
21. McCabe > 55 mins
22. Horne > 50 mins

I know a lot of people will disagree, but this team gives us a chance to test the following combinations:

Palu/Pocock/Higginbotham
Burgess/Cooper (we need to, in case Genia goes down- touch wood)
Barnes/Ashley-Cooper
Barnes/Horne
Cooper/Barnes

Plus, it should test the fitness of Mitchell, Palu, Slipper, Polota-Nau, Horne and Barnes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we can't smash these teams then we shouldnt' be confident about beating the Springboks or Wales...

U

Utility Back

My point being if we do, everything is 'okay' again. When its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.