• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SAM v SAF (Birmingham): POOL B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah. maybe. Or maybe not. It's a world cup, who knows what'll happen. If we execute well enough we will be competitive at the least.

Scotland are a reasonable chance, but they have to follow the Japanese blueprint to beat the Boks. The Scots have a solid set piece, and they'll need to be able to speed the game up and maintain both discipline and faith in themselves to win.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Bokke had their shocker. Expect them to improve every match as their old players get match sharpen.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
We've got a side capable of playing to the Japanese game plan, potentially to a "better" standard as well. Would need 1 or 2 decisions I'm not sure Cotter would be comfortable making though. Specifically, playing both Strauss and Denton rather than one of them and Wilson, Fraser Brown ahead of Ford, and Pyrgos ahead of Laidlaw.

Getting ahead of myself though. Need a win tonight, then as long as we pick up 2 bonus points across tonight, Bokke and Samoa games, we should have 3rd place sewn up. Anything more than that, from an objective standpoint is probably above expectation, even before the World Cup began.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
........Samoa were disappointing, there doesn't appear to be much structure or discipline there - perhaps the matters alluded to by WOB at #72 are also a factor........

Yup, IMO being belittled by the Chairman of your Board, who also happens to be PM of your country, on a regular basis is likely to be rather de-motivating. WR (World Rugby) needs to take some action before all the progress Samoa have made over the last 25 years gets pissed away.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I was disappointed with how the Samoans played. After their performance against the ABs this year I had high hopes for one of my sentimental favourites. Unfortunately Samoa improved hugely from past performances in the scrum but somehow forgot to train in the lineout. Yes SA are good but Samoa look un-organised at times.

I hope that the Wallabies were looking at that result and how without clean first phase ball from the lineout or even some level of surety of winning their own ball SA were able to use their kick and chase game plan to total effect to pin them back into their own half and basically strangle them out of the game. As the game wore on you could see the Samoans trying harder and harder and becoming almost frantic in their running game trying to exit.

One final point, I hope the referees are getting lectured about making sure the mauls are adjudicated properly, one maul the Boks detached totally and rejoined without sanction, even though they didn't advance it much further in the maul and spun it wide from that point. IMO the maul is so hard to defend legally, the attacking maul must be policed with equal rigour to ensure that it is formed and maintained 100% legally.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
JDV confirmed with a fractured jaw and out for the rest of the RWC. Maybe a blessing in disguise as it forces Meyer to play de Allende and Kriel, their best centre combo IMO.

So who's the captain now?

Status
Not open for further replies.