• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
On a side note - If my mood today is anything to go by, I'm honestly not going to make it through this week. The anticipation and excitement is killing me. Sleeping on Saturday night is going to be nigh impossible

Aghh tell me about it. I'm going to a festival this weekend so will be blissfully out of radar range for the AFL and NRL GF (outcomes don't bother me - all teams involved are Orcs).

But the fucking match of the year has to coincide with me going bush and howling at the moon for the weekend, and to top it all off I'll be scrambled with crazy time zones for the Welsh hoedown the following week.

First world problems but ones I'd like to avoid!

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I for one, regardless of outcome would like to see the refs ref consistently for a change. The way the refs ref to their prejudices of our scrummaging, rather than what is happening (and being inconsistent) is frustrating to say the least.

What I've seen so far isn't promising. And it's even less promising given the poms ability to illegally bind, and still milk the penalty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I for one, regardless of outcome would like to see the refs ref consistently for a change. The way the refs ref to their prejudices of our scrummaging, rather than what is happening (and being inconsistent) is frustrating to say the least.

What I've seen so far isn't promising. And it's even less promising given the poms ability to illegally bind, and still milk the penalty.

How much ref would a referee ref if a referee could ref refs?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I'm tired and didn't think through the wording :) I should edit it and say "officiate"or something

No dramas. I think we all agree that the refereeing has been frustrating in more games than it hasn't in this RWC.

A big driver of this is definitely the prevalence of the rolling maul in attack (and try scoring) and the difficulty teams have defending it legally (whilst greater leeway seems to be offered to the attacking team).

The other issue is of course the scrums which are a huge bone of contention because several of the teams generating the most penalties from the scrum are clearly using illegal tactics.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
"Romain Poite, the French referee renowned as the most savvy scrum official in the game"

Ugh. Is that the Telegraph trying to be sarcastic ?
It is all part of the English scrummaging fairytale. Stuart Barnes has been peddling the idea that Poite "allows scrummaging" and keeps it legal because Poite favours a free for all, dangerous level of boring in that favours English teams. When they are required to scrummage straight they end up giving away a rake of penalties.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Without David Pocock, the best openside flanker in the world, with another head coach and without Sir Mario Ledesma at the scrum. So Australia is a different animal ATM. The only side that could beat the ABs this year.

Every team has their injuries. We haven't had Vermeulen for most of this year, for example.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Jokes aside, England did kick it 43 times against Wales.

Surely they are not going to be heading Izzy's way so I hope Foley has been practising day and night.

The Tahs super rugby exit model, dropping bombs right on top of Foley's head would be Plan A if I was England.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but we have a left-right kicking pair now in Foley and Giteau, so trapping Foley on his wrong foot (which England exploited very well last time) isn't a problem.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, but we have a left-right kicking pair now in Foley and Giteau, so trapping Foley on his wrong foot (which England exploited very well last time) isn't a problem.

Trapping Foley or Gits with high balls and a nice chase once they drop back will be a problem. They did it well verse Wales but their back 3 handled it well, I don't have the same confidence with ours.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I have a feeling Cheika is going to change things up with the backline this week. I may a complete moron but I wouldn't be surprised if we see QC (Quade Cooper) starting, possibly with To'omua at 12 though i think it will be Gits, and Mitchell starting on the wing.

TGC “It is probably an area in the past where we haven’t been as strong because we have lacked a bit of belief in ourselves, to get out of the situation. It is just about not fearing failure and backing what you have prepared and going to it. Daring yourself to be good enough and putting it on the line.”

Flame away ;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have a feeling Cheika is going to change things up with the backline this week. I may a complete moron but I wouldn't be surprised if we see QC (Quade Cooper) starting, possibly with To'omua at 12 though i think it will be Gits, and Mitchell starting on the wing.

TGC “It is probably an area in the past where we haven’t been as strong because we have lacked a bit of belief in ourselves, to get out of the situation. It is just about not fearing failure and backing what you have prepared and going to it. Daring yourself to be good enough and putting it on the line.”

Flame away ;)

I had a feeling that could happen but the poor goal-kicking from Cooper says otherwise.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
And part of the reason Wales alsmost lost is because they kept kicking it away. It was only when Wales started running it in the last 15 did things look very different. God help us if we get into a kicking war (general play and penalties). The score will be a multiple of 3 to nil.
The curse of 6n rugby: aerial ping pong. If you've got the players with the balls to run it back then the opportunities beckon whoever your playing

Status
Not open for further replies.