• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Firstly congratulations to New Zealand on the win - they wanted it a lot more than us and it clearly showed.

There are some areas which come to mind that lost this game for us, and this is written straight after the match, so there's probably more.

• We lost the game as soon as the kick off went out on the full. That is psychologically damaging especially in a place where we haven't won in 25 years.
  • Our skills under the high ball were atrocious. In a land where AFL is a competing sport, you might think we'd borrow an expert or 3 and have them put us through some basic skills drills and put in for the Australian cause. Watching Will Genia, at 5ft 2, jumping up for a high ball was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
  • Our scrum, whilst not the worst it's been, was given a master class by the All Blacks. Rob Simmons might be one for the future, but this was a game where Nathan Sharpe should have been used with all his experience, it could have helped us immensely.
  • The amount of missed tackles was never going to be good enough - maybe last weeks tackling effort took alot more out of us than we thought and just couldn't reach the same levels as last week.

Oh well...at least we made the Semi's...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The aussie attack has really declined this year. What the fuck has happened to some of the shit we saw last year?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
It's pretty basic... Joubert always allows the more dominant team to get the advantage at the breakdown, and every time we play the ABs they're smart enough to commit the numbers, and then we sook about being hard done by...

No excuses...

true true. In most games of rugby the team that commits more to the break will win. everyone knows that apart from robbie deasn

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hate how Genia slows it down in the attacking zone. Why with two minutes left would we want to rumble it up?

All Blacks too good. Too much pace, too much power. Scrum completely dominant and owned the breakdown.

Once again the Wallabies are tryless. Backline ineffective, particularly the in the centres. Blind Freddy could have pointed out that selecting McCabe and Finger in the centres was going to stifle our one weapon - our backline.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hate how Genia slows it down in the attacking zone. Why with two minutes left would we want to rumble it up?

All Blacks too good. Too much pace, too much power. Scrum completely dominant and owned the breakdown.

Once again the Wallabies are tryless. Backline ineffective, particularly the in the centres. Blind Freddy could have pointed out that selecting McCabe and Finger in the centres was going to stifle our one weapon - our backline.

I think Genia and Cooper did more than enough to stifle our attack...

C

chief

Reality is Wallabies didn't deserve to win. Comprehensively outplayed.

Genia was awful. Chose the wrong decisions and wasn't aided by an awful forward pack. Pocock was afraid to contest after the early two penalties. Cooper was on the side of awful as well, his early 40 minutes was diabolical and didn't aid the Wallabies cause. Reality is. Wallabies come to play in the first 30 minutes against the All Blacks, and the All Blacks were ready for them to play.

NZ to comprehensively thrash France next week. Especially after the nonsense which is happening with the relationships between the French coach and players.

Also I should just say this. The decision to leave Wayne Barnes out of the QF's and Semi's was bizarre. And why on earth they did it, I just don't know.

EDIT: I actually do know. Because POB is afraid of the backlash in the NZ media.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Outstanding NZ performance. To be honest, they flogged the Wallabies everywhere except on the scoreboard and they smashed the Wallabies in the collisions and the breakdowns.

I'd question what the fuck the tactics were in the 2nd half with ball, but it wouldn't have made much difference. If the ABs had kicked a few goals, they'd have murdered us on the scoreboard as well.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Thats the truth of it. The one thing that sticks is the rubbing the hair, patting the head, the booing etc when we made mistakes. Very poor sportsmanship.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Foxtel - Marto "There was not one australian player who outplayed their rival" - Didn't someone say that on this thread. I will find that. Foxtel are spying on Gaggerlanders. I have no problem with them leveraging off us provided that they actually donate to the running of the site.

Moses, or Mods - What does Foxtel put into Gaggerland coffers. This is not the first time that idiot Marto has quoted directly from our threads.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Thats the truth of it. The one thing that sticks is the rubbing the hair, patting the head, the booing etc when we made mistakes. Very poor sportsmanship.

Booing = Bogan. I thought Kiwis were better sports supporters than that. Pretty sure that you would not get that at the Arms Park. CardiffBlue any comment?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well done NZ, too good at all the basics. We lost it up front, then compounded it with ineptitude under the high ball. We never held the ball to put any pressure on, and the few times we got to their 22, didn't really cash in. I would have liked to see the Wallabies put in a better show and actually make them work harder and maybe put some pressure on them, but we never got in it up front.
I'm pissed off that it ended with a whimper, can't believe they couldn't put more on the line.
ABs deserved it, wanted it, looked hungrier, caught the ball better.
Fuck it.
Enjoy it our NZ boys, and I'll be behind you next week - smash the Froggies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Listening to Deans. What is he talking about when he refers to the change in Australia's tactics in the 2nd half?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Reality is Wallabies didn't deserve to win. Comprehensively outplayed.

Genia was awful. Chose the wrong decisions and wasn't aided by an awful forward pack. Pocock was afraid to contest after the early two penalties. Cooper was on the side of awful as well, his early 40 minutes was diabolical and didn't aid the Wallabies cause. Reality is. Wallabies come to play in the first 30 minutes against the All Blacks, and the All Blacks were ready for them to play.

NZ to comprehensively thrash France next week. Especially after the nonsense which is happening with the relationships between the French coach and players.

Also I should just say this. The decision to leave Wayne Barnes out of the QF's and Semi's was bizarre. And why on earth they did it, I just don't know.

Can only think they are keeping Barnes for the Final.

Poite was another possible final ref, but the unexpected Frog victory has put paid to that plan. Feel sorry for M. Poite.

Status
Not open for further replies.