• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Two words unlikely to be heard in the same sentence again - Simmons and abrasive.

I'll take Simmons for the Reds over any other emerging second-rower in Oz. You can have a re-signed Timani any day. (Not to say you're from NSW.)

Abrasion? Vickerman was all over Sharpe for abrasion when in the same Colts team in 1997. Yeah, I know, that's only 14 years ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In light of Sharpey missing out on his 100th cap on Sunday, Rob Simmons better play like his life depends on it for the 30 minutes he is out there.

Let's hope he can catch this week.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Registering dismay at Sharpe dumping. Also wanted either Higgers or Hodgson on the bench over McCalman.

Ah well, LET'S GO WALLABIES.

Anyone know a good sports bar in Indianapolis that will be showing this game?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pissed about Sharpey, but I don't think the reserve lock will have too much impact on the end result.

The starting XV looks good, and that is really what counts. Go the Wallabies!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
3 mistakes or major, unnecessary risks IMO:

- I'll be the 100th person that's amazed at the complete removal of Sharpe in such a crucial match, on no basis is Simmons showing he's justified in this selection in this game;

- Maybe less versatile etc, but I'd much rather Higgers or Hodgson to back-up the loose forwards than McCalman who's been so consistently ineffective over and over again. Amazing call vs a side of the ABs calibre and at Eden Park;

- the issue's been done to death, but I think there's clear evidence that BB was the better call running on at 12 given QC (Quade Cooper)'s situation/risk and other factors much commented upon. BB can defend, almost as well as McCabe. To beat the ABs, we will have to attack exceptionally well in order to take the tries we'll need; defence will as always be critical, but it won't be the key to victory in this match.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
- Maybe less versatile etc, but I'd much rather Higgers or Hodgson to back-up the loose forwards than McCalman who's been so consistently ineffective over and over again. Amazing call vs a side of the ABs calibre and at Eden Park;

I though McCalman was much better than any other time in this RWC coming of the bench last Sunday.

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Most of the readers here at GAGR know many of the Indianopolis bars but not any covering rugby unfortunetly.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Agreed Barbarian , that team fires we win, they don't turn up, we lose. Reserve wont have to much impact except maybe defensively towards the end if deans puts them in. I dont want to be chasing a win with 10mins to go against the AB's I want to be defending a lead by the time the subs come on.

08umema

Lets get behind the team out on the park boys. I for one am puzzled (had to tone it down) as to why Sharpe isn't on the bench, but what's done is done. Looking forward to a great game!

Wallabies by 5

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Now without gloating who called me a fool when I suggested that Ashley-Cooper was obvious player to take Beales place, when a lot here were suggesting JOC (James O'Connor) etc etc, lol don't bite fellas, it not often I am right so just thought I'd throw in tin.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed Barbarian , that team fires we win, they don't turn up, we lose. Reserve wont have to much impact except maybe defensively towards the end if deans puts them in. I dont want to be chasing a win with 10mins to go against the AB's I want to be defending a lead by the time the subs come on.

With all respect, how can we be so confident re 'reserves have little impact etc' if we don't know who's gonna get injured. If Horwill or Vicks has to come off, won't the Simmons v Sharpe call matter, maybe greatly?

08umema

Now without gloating who called me a fool when I suggested that Ashley-Cooper was obvious player to take Beales place, when a lot here were suggesting JOC (James O'Connor) etc etc, lol don't bite fellas, it not often I am right so just thought I'd throw in tin.

I will bite! Just kidding mate, didn't even see you'd suggested it.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I see what Deans likes in Simmons and think he will have a long career in canary yellow. Remember he is only 22.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
With all respect, how can we be so confident re 'reserves have little impact etc' if we don't know who's gonna get injured. If Horwill or Vicks has to come off, won't the Simmons v Sharpe call matter, maybe greatly?

Even still, one lock won't make a huge amount of difference to the game. In the end the other 14 players have to turn up and all play well if we want to win. If they don't, then we lose regardless of what Simmons does.

I concede there is some hypothetical chance of him playing a massive role in the game, but it isn't worth wasting any energy over. Time to get behind the boys, they have done it before, time to do it again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.