• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 QF4: NZ v Argentina (W Pool A v RU Pool B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
The first period against France was pretty brutal, but other than that I absolutely agree. This is like 07 all over again - but with the added distraction of Carter. I just think the Argies might just fall short in the backs.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hope Dida Weepoo starts. Cowan was crap vs Canada and has been below par all season. I think he's a better runner aswell dispite the pies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's plenty of talk that Weepu could start at 10.

Cowan was rubbish. The height of many of his passes seemed to indicate that Yao Ming was playing 10.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
11. Agulla v Jane - Even. Both are capable of brillance, both capable of stupidity. Should neutralise each other.

Jane = capable of stupidity. Really?? Can't really think of a lot of games where he's shown that...especially at international level.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Jane = capable of stupidity. Really?? Can't really think of a lot of games where he's shown that...especially at international level.

Yeah I agree. He's solid like a fullback. He makes his tackles, he's good under the highball, he goes to ground when he needs to and offloads/kicks when he needs to, his fend means he can survive in contact until support arrives. I actually think he's the most solid winger we've had since Howlett.

His one issue is that he doesn't come off his wing to look for work enough outside of structured play, but if they keep calling sweet inside-ball moves like that one against France then it shouldn't be an issue.

Having said all of that, I'm actually a really big Guildford fan. But I was also a big Scott Hamilton fan, and a big Caleb Ralph fan. Basically I'm a big Crusaders fan.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Still no word on Richie McCaw. I don't see why they don't just rest him for this game, their backrow will still dominate the breakdowns without him and it reduces the amount of chances Argentina will get to kick for goal from penalties. Surely it's not worth risking him against a very physical Argentine pack when you have to face Australia or South Africa in the next round.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Still no word on Richie McCaw. I don't see why they don't just rest him for this game, their backrow will still dominate the breakdowns without him and it reduces the amount of chances Argentina will get to kick for goal from penalties. Surely it's not worth risking him against a very physical Argentine pack when you have to face Australia or South Africa in the next round.

It would be disrespectful to Argentina, but I agree. Without Fernandez-Lobbe, their backrow looks so weak. Leguizamon is a class player, but he alone cannot compete against Kaino, Read and Vito/Thompson. Cabello, Campos, Fessia, Senatore (whoever they pick), will be no match to their opposites.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The same report said McCaw completed the full training session with no injury problems.

Considering it is a foot injury, the physicality of the opponent shouldn't really have any impact on how it goes through a game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

I don't think Richie is that good in his first games back from injury....I think he's better after a hit-out or two...

H

hobo

This could all ber mind games.

I dont think NZ need to start mind games just for argentina.

Certainly feels like Weepu will be starting in 10 the way everything is going down atm.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect NZ are desperatly trying to ditch the favourates tag. No disrespect to the Argies but if McCaw was in any serious doubt, they would be resting him for this game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I suspect NZ are desperatly trying to ditch the favourates tag. No disrespect to the Argies but if McCaw was in any serious doubt, they would be resting him for this game.

He's already said that if the game against Canada had been a knock-out game then he would have played - no doubt.

I don't think the injury is too serious.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

I don't get your picture of GG in a white singlet looking deep in thought. What are you trying to say there?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/injured-mccaw-to-play-on-through-pain-barrier-20111006-1lavl.html

This has got to be a bit of a worry for the Darkness. How many more lightning strikes are they going to have?

Broken Arm to Nonu? Kaino Hamstring?

The confidence of Hansen in the quotes in the article reminds me so much of the traditional Chairman of the Board's statement that "The Board and I have complete confidence in [insert coaches name] ability to see out the rest of his contract".

This statement is typically made about 1 week before the coach in question is sacked, and often means "We are in deep consultations with our lawyers to see how we can sack the bastard without causing us too much financial grief."

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Team named:

1. Tony Woodcock (80)
2. Keven Mealamu (89)
3. Owen Franks (28)
4. Samuel Whitelock (22)
5. Brad Thorn (56)
6. Jerome Kaino (45)
7. Richie McCaw – captain (100)
8. Kieran Read (33)
9. Piri Weepu (53)
10. Colin Slade (9)
11. Sonny Bill Williams (11)
12. Ma’a Nonu (63)
13. Conrad Smith (52)
14. Cory Jane (28)
15. Mils Muliaina (99)

Reserves:

16. Andrew Hore (59)
17. Ben Franks (14)
18. Ali Williams (70)
19. Victor Vito (11)
20. Jimmy Cowan (50)
21. Aaron Cruden (6)
22. Isaia Toeava (35)

Has it been confirmed that Kahui was not considered due to injury? I'm surprised with SBW starting. If Argentina get ball, they will surely test SBW's aerial defense in a way no team has to date

Wonder if Henry will go back to in-form Dagg when he recovers, or does he stay with Mils for his experience/leadership now that Carter is crocked and McCaw is wincing?

Status
Not open for further replies.