• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 QF1: Ireland v Wales (W Pool C v RU Pool D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
WOW! Congratulations to the Welsh boys. What a solid performance. All the big words in there - accurate, direct, disciplined, aggressive & controlled. All done with a very low error count and an equal amount of possession. I hope our boys can defend with 100% commitment from start to finish tomorrow. They showed great patience and took their opportunites when they were made available. Now, can they make it to the final? I would love to see them there.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I cant believe a lot of us thought it would have been better for us to play this mob than SA (not that I'm real confident against SA given when it comes our performances we've got a real "Forrest Gump box of chocolates never know what your gonna get" style).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Belter of a game to kick off the QF's.

Paddy's had plenty of chances to win but credit to the Taffys who absorbed pressure and took their chances when offered.

Knockout footy is about making the most of the 4 or 5 chances you get each game. Taffy's too smart, too good. Looked vulnerable at times, but well placed to go all the way to face Men in Gold in the Final in a couple of weeks.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Is it to much to ask for our boys to do the same thing tomorrow? The Welsh performance tonight is what I have been hoping to see from AUS all year. Sure there was no razzle-dazzle stuff but it was great to watch nonetheless.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I cant believe a lot of us thought it would have been better for us to play this mob than SA (not that I'm real confident against SA given when it comes our performances we've got a real "Forrest Gump box of chocolates never know what your gonna get" style).
When we lost to Ireland, I thought that, but I reckon Wales would have beaten us today, and probably SA too. Ireland were no mugs, but Wales belted them up pretty damn well. At least we know what we gonna get tomorrow. Countering it is the next step.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
My prediction for Semi Final 1. CardiffBlue to remain silent due to celebrating until late Monday pm, then acute apoplexy interspersed with angst, panic and visions of glory in the lead up.

My MOM was #9 Wales = Mike Phillips. He made a real difference to the Welsh attack, always troubling the Irish defence. Intelligent distribution of ball to backs.

HM to Ireland #7. Bit disappointed with rest of Green loose forwards. Shame not to be seeing more of SO'B.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Took Wales by 1-12 at the TAB so well done to Priestland for hitting the post twice like that... absolute genius he is!

Great match, Wales outstanding, defended well and took their chances. Ireland will be disappointed in some of their decision making.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Took Wales by 1-12 at the TAB so well done to Priestland for hitting the post twice like that... absolute genius he is!

Great match, Wales outstanding, defended well and took their chances. Ireland will be disappointed in some of their decision making.

Congrats on the pick, nothing like raising the stress/excitement levels of Rugby by putting on a bet, especially margin & line bets, lol.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Note on Halfpenny he may not have stood out like some of the others but his boot was solid & he was very calm under pressure there at the back, good cover for Hook (as great as Hook is). Leigh would've been my MOTM too.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Wales looked deadly, didn't they? Their sliding and aggressive defense was a really highlight. I thought Ireland was foolish not to go for goal early, even though those kicks were wide out. Gave the Welsh defense tremendous confidence to hold them out both times. Whoever wins QF2 has a very nasty semi in front of them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HM to Ireland #7. Bit disappointed with rest of Green loose forwards. Shame not to be seeing more of SO'B.

Ireland #7 was SOB, but if that's what you meant than you are certainly right. It's a shame now as in nearly every game from now on we are going to be losing some bloody good players.

S

Skippy

Well done to the Welsh but something struck me at the end of the game. Recently I was reading George Gregan's book and he talked about how he was not happy the team 'over celebrated' when they beat the All Blacks in the 2003 semi final.

Did anyone else think the Welsh 'over celebrated' their victory?

What I mean is... was that their final? Will they be able to mentally get up for another 2 wins? It looked to me like they were thrilled to win that game, that they have exceeded their expectations etc. Mental preparation is vitally important and I was suprised the Welsh didn't keep a lid on things and remain focussed on the fact they have a long way to go just yet.

A more sombre 'celebration' is called for in QF's and SF's so that the team appreciates the job is not done yet and still has a long way to go. Keep your head etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.