• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby Championship 2012: Our Backline

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

This is turning into the most critical analysis of a guy successfully scoring a try ever.

I think it comes back to his Wallaby selection being completely unjustifiable. His performances for the Tahs have been terrible this season.

T

TOCC

The trouble with Ant is that, great defense aside, he makes no impact at Test level. His 45 minutes on Saturday were a good example. 2 runs for 9m.

Obviously he brings a lot to the table but he takes a lot off it too.

Fainga'a was in the starting Wallaby back line which defeated the All Blacks in the Tri-Nations decider in 2011, in that game his defence was superb pulling off a few great tackles including one where the All Blacks had a 3 man overlap..

If Rob Horne supposedly brings attacking prowess to the table, he sure is playing his cards close to his chest then!

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Can we get over the Horne try thing. I think he made the wrong call, he should have drawn and passed. But it was a split second 50/50 decision and if we are to be realistic, if it had been any of Digby, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe they also would have gone for the line instead of passing it also. But it's all very academic.

I agree that the previous remark that we can only afford 1 of McCabe and Horne in the centers, and I would add Fa'inga into that as well. My first choice would probably be McCabe. Barnes is starchy enough to play in the 12 channel and our backline needs some creativity. The last two weeks, despite dominating the possession and field position we were only able to score one try each week. We are going to be struggling to get half that possession against the Kiwi's and we can't afford to have the ball go dead as soon as it gets to the midfield and pray that we can score off counter-attach or Beale genius.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wish Beale would cut out his miracle play crap that he always attempts. In 2010 when he really burst onto the scene he didn't try to offload all the time but now it almost a crime for him to go to ground after a half break.
Yes, he pushed a few passes on the weekend.
He just needs to tone it down a bit and recycle every now and then.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
don't worry Richo, soon we will move from centres to 10s
- qlders will want cooper
- nsw will want barnes
- most want JOC (James O'Connor) at wing or centre

so, Deans will send JOC (James O'Connor) to 10!

Ath.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs fans like Horne. Reds fans like Fainga'a. McCabe is a bit better than both of them. Or a lot if you're Slim.

Is that it?

As a participant in this thread, I'm happy to call it the stupidest ever.

We need more Force fans to be talking about the Honey Badger.

He might not be better than any of the other three, but I'm sure it would make the thread more entertaining.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Tahs fans like Horne. Reds fans like Fainga'a. McCabe is a bit better than both of them. Or a lot if you're Slim.

Is that it?

These guys are so similar I don't think it really matters. The sad fact is that none of them will be the next Snorky Mortlock at 13 so maybe we need to look elsewhere. Tomane looks to have the size and skills to become a long-term 13 however that is purely speculation seeing I have never seen him play there. I guess we just put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there or sign Greg Inglis from rugby league...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Is that it?

Don't open the door for more! If Bruce gets a sniff the next 10 pages will be full of numbers on why Carter has been overlooked again. Someone might even suggest Mortlock for a farewell test. It'll never end.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s test performances at 13 make him a better choice than McCabe, Horne or Fainga'a. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is best at fullback or wing at test level or on the bench because he covers 11-15.

The other potential 13s are all injured.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need more Force fans to be talking about the Honey Badger.

He might not be better than any of the other three, but I'm sure it would make the thread more entertaining.
yeah what he said.

However I think the badger will be playing more wing with the emergence of Tupoe he looks to be a bit of a goer.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didn't A.Fainga'a start out his Super rugby career as a 12 and play there initially at Qld as well?
It would be pretty simple for McCabe to move out one. He is tough as nails and his attacking game is on the improve.
If I was Deans I would be asking JW to give him a run at 13 if possible in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.