• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 7 - Brumbies v Reds, GIO Stadium, Canberra Sat 8th Apr @ 7:45PM AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Time for another worldwide search of the carpark.

Reds look totally lost and the only thing they know to do when in possession seems to be make an ineffective kick.

Marto proven right about Maranta being the worst signing he's ever seen.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I avoided the Waratahs last night and only caught Brumbies v Reds as an afterthought.

It's sad where the code is at the moment in Australia.

I hope that the Brumbies can go on with it and give Australian rugby fans something to watch come finals time and give us some hope for the Wallabies. The Waratahs and the Reds are just embarassing at the moment (as are the NSWRU/QRU)

Watching Australian rugby right now:

XeuQ7pn.jpg

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
While we would have gotten flogged anyway, a lack of Hunt & Quade didn't exactly help. We still played like shit though

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The dark shadow of Graham still lingers over the reds. Sometimes clubs can just hit a point where they look at the way things were done and realize everything needs to be torn up and thrown away. Going forward I firmly believe the reds need to move smith to the bench, possibly getting the best out of him is through 20mins. Douglas and Simmons combo needs to end, it's put way to much emphasis on the backrow for go forward, if that doesn't happen you get tonight's results, moving forward one on the bench with rodda to start. Andrew ready needs to move to hooker, he's the type of player that is thriving in world rugby atm, Moore to the bench. McIntyre needs to be moved on. Stiles also needs to back perese, he's a huge talent. Not much you can do with the frontrow with injuries etc. Higgers to captain as well, he was brilliant in the role for the rebels, brings the best out of him and has a leaning towards playing the game fans want to see.

N

NTT

Brumbies played really well. Alcock B.O.G. for me. Once old mate "Handbrakes" Godwin went off the Brumbies attack flowed well. Aiden Touas speed caused headaches. That pushover try told you all you needed to know about the Reds tonight, just weren't in it. McIntyre just isn't up to it. Cooper and Hunt were missed bigly by the Reds.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think this is he first loss where I cant think of a player who performed well on a beaten team. Very very ordinary.

If the current players cant do the job then it is important to get the bench on the field to get some game time when this wont lose the game. What justification can be given for replacing Macintyre with 10 minutes to go when you are 3 converted tries from a draw???? Give the new bloke some time to get settled, the halfback gets 3 minutes!

In the last two games if you combine line ball calls rejected by the video ref and dropped balls by the attacking team about to score I think we could easily have conceded another 10 tries.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds' and QRU's usual apologists and excuse-makers have obviously had 'other pressing commitments' tonight.

Bit like our forwards in the loose.

Bit like Moore, and Douglas...and

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Reds' and QRU's usual apologists and excuse-makers have obviously had 'other pressing commitments' tonight.

Bit like our forwards in the loose.

Bit like Moore, and Douglas.and

RH, I have something to say.

Last month sometime, we had a discussion where I supported Stiles and you didn't (can't find the actual posts).

You were right and I was wrong

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the wise words of Stiles, if this was last year the Reds would have lost by 70. 40 is far better improvement. Stiles has lost the shed and basic skills of rugby. I can see graham sitting back right now with a simle. And that cringes me to qld rugby death.
Who is Stiles going to drop this week, I bet not himself. Not even dropping players threats this team to lift. No improvement what so ever.
Thanks to Brumbies showing some fight skills and 80mins.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
In the wise words of Stiles, if this was last year the Reds would have lost by 70. 40 is far better improvement. Stiles has lost the shed and basic skills of rugby. I can see graham sitting back right now with a simle. And that cringes me to qld rugby death.
Who is Stiles going to drop this week, I bet not himself. Not even dropping players threats this team to lift. No improvement what so ever.
Thanks to Brumbies showing some fight skills and 80mins.
The team is just as bad, but with more talent on the field

Well there was a dropped ball with a 4 on 1 that would be 7 points, we should have conceded a penalty try and lost a player, when one short I think we would have conceded at least 14 more. There were other "certain" tries bombed by the Brumbies which would make up the other 9 points difference.

I think it is the coach and his staff.

Our best chance is for another Aussie team to be kicked out and the ARU make players come to the Reds (hopefully a coach too!).

I actually feel worse than I did in the dark pre Link days, at least lack of true and experienced talent was an excuse for getting beaten.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I understand the Reds' fans are hurting, and pretty badly. So many hopes at the start to the year, but the promise is not being delivered.

However, they did come up against a hot Brumbies' side tonight. Amazing wjat sort of rugby can be played when they stop kicking the ball away constantly, and trust their skills and structures to run the bloody thing. Hell, they even looked like they came from NZ some times in this game.:)

The stand outs to me were :

1) the scrum totally dominated the Reds' scrum with that pushover try from nearly 20m a highlight;

2) the passing and handling was levels better than they've demonstrated previously;

3) Rory Arnold played the best half game by an Aussie lock in living memory;

4) Joe Powell continues to play at a high level and is forming a good combination with Hawera;

5) De Roos is also showing he is capable at this level;

6) Scott Fardy is a gun captain;

7) Tevita Kuridrani finished on top of Kerevi;

8) Aiden Toua showed some of his talents tonight interspersed still with some errors of judgement;

9) Henry Speight back to near his best and was always dangerous with the ball

10) Chris Alcock my MOTM.

It was a very satisfying game and result from a Brumbies' fan's perspective. Now they just need to replicate it against the Saffas and NZ sides to establish their credentials in the competition. Just remember to keep running the ball and good things will happen.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought the Brumbies were excellent. There's a lot to like there, particularly (from a Wallaby perspective) Ala'alatoa and Powell. Very encouraging.

The Reds looked a bit lost, so don't want to criticise too much. However, Higgers continues to show his discipline is still a worry.

He (unforgivably in that circumstance) rushed up for the intercept which led directly to one of the tries. Then he gets himself involved in serious handbags on the sideline a few minutes later

TenVsRhys

Frank Row (1)
I understand the Reds' fans are hurting, and pretty badly. So many hopes at the start to the year, but the promise is not being delivered.

However, they did come up against a hot Brumbies' side tonight. Amazing wjat sort of rugby can be played when they stop kicking the ball away constantly, and trust their skills and structures to run the bloody thing. Hell, they even looked like they came from NZ some times in this game.:)

The stand outs to me were :

1) the scrum totally dominated the Reds' scrum with that pushover try from nearly 20m a highlight;

2) the passing and handling was levels better than they've demonstrated previously;

3) Rory Arnold played the best half game by an Aussie lock in living memory;

4) Joe Powell continues to play at a high level and is forming a good combination with Hawera;

5) De Roos is also showing he is capable at this level;

6) Scott Fardy is a gun captain;

7) Tevita Kuridrani finished on top of Kerevi;

8) Aiden Toua showed some of his talents tonight interspersed still with some errors of judgement;

9) Henry Speight back to near his best and was always dangerous with the ball

10) Chris Alcock my MOTM.

It was a very satisfying game and result from a Brumbies' fan's perspective. Now they just need to replicate it against the Saffas and NZ sides to establish their credentials in the competition. Just remember to keep running the ball and good things will happen.

Agreed. That was a depressing game for us Reds fans, literally zero positives to take away from what on paper should be a decent team.

Brums were excellent though and thoroughly deserve the win and plaudits. Arnold, Powell and Alcock were all superb. Agree with your comment re Rory, he was absolutely world class tonight. My MOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.