• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 6: Reds v. Hurricanes, April 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

As far as Reds games go, I'm not sitting here frustrated and angry..that was for the most part a good performance by the Reds..

-No sin bins
-Scrum held up well(Tupou in starting debut)
-Lineout pinched a few balls
-Paia-aua is playing out of his skin, likewise with Karmichael
-Tuttle provided good, clean and fast passes.. really promising signs

And.. a few of those defensive phases showed real character, a trait often lacking in recent years..

N

NTT

OK, so in keeping with the match thread vibe, the revolution having failed to occur, who's first up against the wall?

Ah yes another week of scuttlebutt coming up. They should cut the Tahs. (Its the internet, journalists dont need facts and nor do i mwahahaha)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Decision making and execution let us down in the last quarter big time.

Need to stop forcing the offloads when they clearly aren't there because we would have had several more cracks on the tryline if we did. It's not that hard - if you can count to two it's too late and you need to tuck it.

Kicks have to go out, big fuck up from Duncan that sealed the game for us.

First up defenders need to put their man down. We didn't do this probably a dozen times and it left a massive dog leg each time which the Canes ran right into.

Lineout hugely improved and scrum much better than I or I think anyone else expected.

We need to address our halves issues in the offseason because it's clearly holding us back. Time to start the search NOW.

Time for Perese to get a shot over Kuridrani who isnjust lost on defense and looks even worse next to Nabuli who is having a Renaissance relative to how he's been.

I said it the other week but we've found a franchise player in Duncan. He is at the heart of so many of the positive things we do - needs to be committed to and locked in long term ASAP.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
OK, so in keeping with the match thread vibe, the revolution having failed to occur, who's first up against the wall?

Not sure what you are talking about, Comrade WOB?

comical ali.jpg

T

TOCC

Stiles not beating around the bush...

Said he was proud in the starting XV and performed quite well on the back of the Africa tour, but said the reserves were simply poor and didn't perform...

Can't argue with that... Frisby, Perese and Tui(x2) all played quite poor.. but I thought Ready stood up and played really well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee we could've had that game. What was it in the end 4 or 5 almost tries?

We just can't score tries in the 2nd half. It's the key to our win (just one).

2nd half tries so far:

v Sharks = 3
v Force = 1
v Crusaders = 0
v Lions = 2
v Jaguares = 1
v Hurricanes = 0

Not good enough.

In saying that, that was the best performance of the year by everyone in that pack. Talakai was fantastic at LHP, Moore's best game, Fantastic stuff by Tupou in his first start (correct?), that was the best I've seen from Douglas in some time, Simmons with a crucial lineout steal (not much more), Korczyk worked damn hard, Smith was bloody fantastic, Higgers sensational.

Also Duncan and Hunt continue their excellent form and Eto was also very very good.

I dare say we lost it through McIntyre and the impact of our bench, who let us down big time.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Gee we could've had that game. What was it in the end 4 or 5 almost tries?

We just can't score tries in the 2nd half. It's the key to our win (just one).

2nd half tries so far:

v Sharks = 3
v Force = 1
v Crusaders = 0
v Lions = 2
v Jaguares = 1
v Hurricanes = 0

Not good enough.

In saying that, that was the best performance of the year by everyone in that pack. Talakai was fantastic at LHP, Moore's best game, Fantastic stuff by Tupou in his first start (correct?), that was the best I've seen from Douglas in some time, Simmons with a crucial lineout steal (not much more), Korczyk worked damn hard, Smith was bloody fantastic, Higgers sensational.

Also Duncan and Hunt continue their excellent form and Eto was also very very good.

I dare say we lost it through McIntyre and the impact of our bench, who let us down big time.
Simmons had a few good runs actually, weirdly.

Can't win a game of rugby without a decent pivot.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Rob Simmons won't want to watch the replay of that try too often

I've just watched the replay of that and I think Simmons was actually stunned from a head knock in the previous phase. He definitely collected a head knock attempting to tackle Laumape and hit the turf like he was out cold. He went out of shot then but when he came back in he didn't look with it at all.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Simmons got his hand on a few balls aside from the steal too - forced TJ into giving slow or sloppy service and gave us a real chance on set piece defense. Canes weren't crashing it up inside over and over because they wanted to.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

And the Reds Rush defence, kuridarni in my opinion is a big problem with this and has been all season. Luckily Canes let themselves down in a few of there breaks they made through the Rushed defence.
Needed QC (Quade Cooper).

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done Reds for putting up a fight, we can never complain about hometown refs in Saffa land again though. Gardener was willing them on so many times, and so was the TMO. Didn't even look at Higger's forward pass in the lead up to the second try. You could see his hands propelled it forward even though it was a pass out the back of his hands.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well......that was the most bemusing game of rugby I've seen live

Let this be a message to the opposing teams: No-one tries to outdo the reds when it comes to losing a match ;)

This game was the personification of the saying 'Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience' ;)

but seriously, some decent play from the reds from 20 until around 60 to 70 mins in (just need the final passes to stick). Still plenty of improvement required.

If sanchez does return, put him on the pine and send Pickle to the plastic

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
AFP_Getty-515042538.jpg

PRE-MATCH LINEOUT DRILL WAS HOW YOU SAY SUCCESSFUL SUBTERFUGE. YES LOOK AND FEEL OF SLIGHT DAFT EMBARRASSMENT BUT SPLIT SECONDS OF CONFUSION WERE SOWN IN OPPOSING PANZER DIVISION PREMATCH. THEREFORE SUCCESS AND SCOREBOARD MASSACRE AVERTED.

We did better than the Highlanders did v the canes, so Reds > Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.