• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 5 - Jaguares v Reds, Jose Amalfitani Stadium, Sunday 26 March @ 7:40am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've said previously, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves to expect wins away from home.

There're some awful habits that have to be broken. They're in the existing roster and the coaching staff and the organisation. Parachuting in super heroes is never a quick fix - I'm still surprised there was so much talk in the sporting media rating the Reds so highly. Clearly the media are absolute morons who have never worked in any productive capacity in their lives.

It will take time for the bad habits to be broken.

I am pretty sure the playing roster is up to it. I am dubious about the coaching staff being up to it as they are very green, but there is a difference to the RG years so I think they might come good.

The QRU are absolutely NOT up to it. They are completely out of their depth and they must be removed entirely from the super rugby. Of this there is no doubt.

Years of results have shown this to be true and it is farcical that everyone is talking about the force and rebels being removed whilst the greatest destructive force in Australian rugby gets a free pass.

The success that came with link was due to link and link alone.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Does anyone think that the Reds are actually thinking, if ever I have seen a team playing by numbers Reds are it.
Also like to add how much I enjoy watching Creevy for the Jaguares, a bloody good hooker, and seems a bloody good sport!! And for the Reds Hunt is still playing bloody well!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Also like to add how much I enjoy watching Creevy for the Jaguares, a bloody good hooker, and seems a bloody good sport!! And for the Reds Hunt is still playing bloody well!

Hunt is killing it and Higgers looks awesome. It's the head that's killing the Reds. When (notice I said when) they get it right things will get better. No one thought we were a chance of winning these two games and they were right.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
What I liked most about this game is that they referred to the Reds as Queensland and not "The away team". I absolutely hate "The home side are leading by 5 at halftime". Just call them by name.

How silly does it sound to say the home team from Cape Town lost to the away team from Brisbane but they won the corresponding fixture against the home team from Brisbane.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Did anyone else think that Rodda and Perese were substituted too early? Or were there injuries?

I thought Izzy was maybe a bit early but Rodda for whatever reason was struggling to make much impact. Seemed to get crunched pretty hard in a tackle not that long before half time so that could've been it too.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't want to post anything after that game and I've managed to not until now.

It was such a steaming shitheap of a game to watch. In the first half it was almost as if the Jags coach had control over the broadcast and was also the TMO. So damn frustrating. Some of the cards that are being dished out also are laughable. That's the problem with 'cracking down' on a particular aspect of the game - it's always going to be done inconsistently.

Fraser having 'no problem' with the clean out on George Smith where the Jags player made contact with Georges face with his shoulder was pretty alarming considering some of the sanctions other players have received with any contact to the head. Yet Hunt gets penalised for a strong front on tackle that didn't even seem to make contact with the head?

In the same TMO review as the George Smith incident, Nabuli I think, was flipped past horizontal by a low chopping tackle. Fraser said it was fine because he used his arms even though the tacklers arms didn't make contact with Eto as they don't tend to when you tackle like that. Sef Faagase received a YC a couple of weeks ago for the exact same thing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fraser was shit, first and foremost.

My heart said a Reds win, my head said the Argies by 30-40.

In the end the scoreboard was better than I expected,

Rodda has come back to earth, Kane Douglas is just not playing anywhere near the level of his time at the Tahs so expect Simmo back this week. Moore signing was poor, his form is poor. The problem is that Ready will be filthy, absolutely filthy and IMO may fuck off to somewhere where he is appreciated (particularly in light of Moore being signed for 3 years - I think). Essentially the same reason James Hanson pissed off to the Rebels (on the same money).

McIntyre, unfortunately has maintained his 2016 form - enough said. Thought Tuttle did a fair job and deserves the next start.

On the positive side, Higgers and Hunt are playing very well, well enough to be serious contenders for a Wallaby spot

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Fraser having 'no problem' with the clean out on George Smith where the Jags player made contact with Georges face with his shoulder was pretty alarming considering some of the sanctions other players have received with any contact to the head. Yet Hunt gets penalised for a strong front on tackle that didn't even seem to make contact with the head?

In the same TMO review as the George Smith incident, Nabuli I think, was flipped past horizontal by a low chopping tackle. Fraser said it was fine because he used his arms even though the tacklers arms didn't make contact with Eto as they don't tend to when you tackle like that. Sef Faagase received a YC a couple of weeks ago for the exact same thing.

Agree, Scoey. The hit on George certainly did deserve some action. Arguably no arms, but definitely contact with the face which I thought was to be cracked down on. At first, I thought the replay was to look at the tip tackle on Nabuli. I was surprised when that tackle wasn't even in the replay coverage. Should have been a YC in light of the earlier ones. Refereeing was extremely poor and that is what is spoiling games more than anything else imo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think that was a tip tackle on Nabuli. His head was about a foot and a half off the ground when contact was made by the tackler and his legs just rolled over the tacklers shoulder. There was no lifting involved and Nabuli's head already looked to be below the level of his hips when the tackle was initiated.

There should have been action taken on the clean out of George Smith because it was high.

Reactions: dru

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Nabuli tackle was no arms for mine. I'd be fine with that being let go except for the fact that Sef got YC'ed for the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. As always, it's the inconsistency that's the issue.

On another topic though, I thought we were pretty darn poor and the Jaguares played ok. They scored 12 points while we had 2 players in the bin - both exploiting space that probably wouldn't have been there if we had 15. It's obviously not simple maths where without the YC's the Jags wouldn't have scored but regardless without those 12 points the game was a shitload closer. Still with the wealth of possession we had we have no excuses for not doing anything with it.

Reactions: gel

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Decided to flagellate myself and rewatch the match highlights over lunch, trying to decide if I should rewatch the whole thing tonight to get a better picture of where exactly things are going wrong..

..and honestly I think the referee got the Ezcurra call dead-on correct. I know, I know - Reds fan homer, etc. Just take a look at this clip (2:23):

Shoulder comes up as he's pulling out of the tackle, head and eyes track the ball the entire time, the right arm doesn't even come up because there's zero intention to make a tackle here. He saw the inside defender come up on Kerevi and correctly predicted the offload, just panicked and executed horribly.

If anything this is a textbook intentional knockdown.

On that note, the Nabuli call was one of the worst I've ever seen at any level of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.