• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 2: Brumbies vs Sharks - GIO Stadium, 4 March @ 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nice try to the Brumbies to make in 22 all, but they were fairly lacklustre for most of the 2nd half. Sharks just keep coming at you and were rewarded with the late try.

Fairly depressing 24 hours for the Aussie teams.

At least we were guaranteed a win on Thrusday when two Australian teams played each other.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Brumbies were great for 20-30 minutes but just lack the maturity to win in. Finishing with a halves combo that had 2 caps between them isn't easy.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies barely being able to get their hands on the ball for the period after half time was probably what cost them and when they did, they were playing in their own end.

The drop goal attempt was a strange one as they had enough time to roll for a few more phases to get closer for a try.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sharks' ball retention was impressive and telling in the end. They were able to work themselves into goal kicking distance with phase after phase and the inevitable penalty came.

Really unsure of the Brumbies' tactics on kick offs and 22m drop outs. Nice height on the kick and shallow enough to get players under it, but they just don't compete. On one occasion they were able to take the catcher into touch but otherwise it was just a gift of possession back to the Sharks.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Really unsure of the Brumbies' tactics on kick offs and 22m drop outs. Nice height on the kick and shallow enough to get players under it, but they just don't compete. On one occasion they were able to take the catcher into touch but otherwise it was just a gift of possession back to the Sharks.

Watching The Beast show off his bench pressing prowess on his own players was getting tiring

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Another issue. When the Sharks went wide, the Brumbies adopted a sliding defense. Again, it just gifted a lot of territory to the Sharks. When the play was in tight, the Brumbies' defense was up and in their face and much more effective. In truth, the sliding defense at the end was what allowed the Sharks to get deep into the Brumbies' half, and gave them the opportunity to put the kick through that led to the winning try.

Get rid of the sliding defense please.

And really looking forward to Saia returning to the starting lineup.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Another issue. When the Sharks went wide, the Brumbies adopted a sliding defense. Again, it just gifted a lot of territory to the Sharks. When the play was in tight, the Brumbies' defense was up and in their face and much more effective. In truth, the sliding defense at the end was what allowed the Sharks to get deep into the Brumbies' half, and gave them the opportunity to put the kick through that led to the winning try.

This seems to be a problem with Australian teams - seem to be sticking to slide defence too much, when they should be employing a rush defence.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
IMHO Hawera is being wasted with Godwin at 12. Hawera is great in broken play but Godwin has concrete shoes and provides nothing except an extra pair of hands to go through to get it to someone who will take it forward. 6 meters total in 2 games for a 12 is unacceptable. We need running options for Hawarea to have opportunities to create some attack.

When we can get TK running like against the Saders he ran for 70 meters. In the limited opportunities he had tonight he managed to make his 10 meters with a try.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
IMHO Hawera is being wasted with Godwin at 12. Hawera is great in broken play but Godwin has concrete shoes and provides nothing except an extra pair of hands to go through to get it to someone who will take it forward. 6 meters total in 2 games for a 12 is unacceptable. We need running options for Hawarea to have opportunities to create some attack.

When we can get TK running like against the Saders he ran for 70 meters. In the limited opportunities he had tonight he managed to make his 10 meters with a try.

Godwin never did much for Force in recent years so I don't know what people expected...what that he change Super Rugby sides and suddenly he becomes a better player.

For Godwin after years of mediocre play I can't see him suddenly offering more than he has in the past. Useful squad player but not a top shelf 12 and never likely to be from here imo.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

And really looking forward to Saia returning to the starting lineup.
I though Bongo had a great game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is Godwin the most overrated player in Rugby history? Since about 5 years ago I hear about him like the new superstar, a rookie with too much potential. Firstly the problem was the Force, now the problem is Brumbies. Already it's 2017 and we're still waiting for him

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I though Bongo had a great game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't agree, Tom. He is pedestrian in open play, and his lineout throwing has always been problematic. Best thing he did last night was to avoid going into touch near the tryline, I think in the lead up to TK's try. Only redeeming feature is that he's better than Robbie Abel. No 2 could be a real problem area for the Brumbies this year. Need Saia at somewhere near his best, and get McInerney in there asap.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is Godwin the most overrated player in Rugby history? Since about 5 years ago I hear about him like the new superstar, a rookie with too much potential. Firstly the problem was the Force, now the problem is Brumbies. Already it's 2017 and we're still waiting for him

Have to agree that he's done very little in his two outings so far. Also disappointed in Dargaville's game last night. Time for some changes in the backline. Maybe Banks to 15, Ah Wong to wing and JJH to 12.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Have to agree that he's done very little in his two outings so far. Also disappointed in Dargaville's game last night. Time for some changes in the backline. Maybe Banks to 15, Ah Wong to wing and JJH to 12.
Wow - You ok BR? JJH @12?:p

What about Dargaville to 12, Toua to wing, Banks at 15 as another option?

I see JJH is playing 10 for the runners!

Status
Not open for further replies.