• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rougeries's eye gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Ah now your talking. The game has never been the same since rucking was banned.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
McCaw would be trampled to pieces if we got rucking back and Pocock would have bled like a slaughtered ox in the quarters. :)

We can only dream.

Can't ever remember a Bok infringing at the ruck either. Such upstanding gentleman those Boks:lmao:

B

Blob

Re Parra's eye. My take.

Nonu carries the ball into contact fine. He didn't lead with the elbow or anything. Parra might have copped a bit of a forearm but not an intentional one. That stuff happens in not-tiddlywinks. Parra goes down, Dusautoir comes in and Richie goes in to clean him out. Parra sits up as Richie is coming in and cops an accidental knee. I'm sure there there will be other interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wr8OU3hRiw

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Re Parra's eye. My take.

Nonu carries the ball into contact fine. He didn't lead with the elbow or anything. Parra might have copped a bit of a forearm but not an intentional one. That stuff happens in not-tiddlywinks. Parra goes down, Dusautoir comes in and Richie goes in to clean him out. Parra sits up as Richie is coming in and cops an accidental knee. I'm sure there there will be other interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wr8OU3hRiw

So what you're saying is that Parra headbutted two All Blacks players.

What a dirty player.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks for saving me the bother of having to take you seriously.

Thank the great spaghetti monster someone isn't;

Where RM's fist hits Parra
HarryPotterofRugby.jpg

Where RM's knee hits Parra and note how much his head has moved from the punch.
HarryPotterofRugby01.jpg

Where Parra is hurt
HarryPotterofRugby02.jpg

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What a thug Parra is, not only did he headbutt McCaws fist, he then went and headbutted his knee. Those two offences should see Parra cited and spend 3-6 months on the sidelines. Parra must have gone to Bakkies School of Thugby.

J

Jay

HarryPotterofRugby.jpg

HarryPotterofRugby01.jpg

Where Parra is hurt
HarryPotterofRugby02.jpg

I wasn't taking you seriously cause you called it a punch.

From the replay - specifically the first angle - you can see that McCaw has his sights trained in Dusatoir in order to clear him out. He doesn't look at Parra at all.

So basically, for it to be a 'punch' (which implies intent) he's basically got to line up Parra - using only his peripheral vision, mind you - and time both his knee and his fist perfectly to catch Parra as he sits up, all without breaking stride and while also being able to hit Dusatoir with his shoulder with sufficient force to clear him off the ball. Truly a remarkable feat.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Where Parra is hurt

I know this game!! I think I've got photos proving the moon landing was a hoax somewhere...I'll get them posted as soon as I find them!!

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
So basically, for it to be a 'punch' (which implies intent) he's basically got to line up Parra - using only his peripheral vision, mind you - and time both his knee and his fist perfectly to catch Parra as he sits up, all without breaking stride and while also being able to hit Dusatoir with his shoulder with sufficient force to clear him off the ball. Truly a remarkable feat.

Yep, I agree he truly is amazing player - no wonder you guys call him Sir Richie.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
That isn't a fist, it isn't clenched. It's conceivable it was before the photo happened, but as it stands punching someone with that is more likely to hurt your hand than the cheekbone it's hitting if you hit it with any real power.

Knee looks about as ineffective as quade's effort.

Brussouws arm bar strikes to Williams neck/base of skull had the potential to seriously injure due to where the strike was occurring and the power deployed but from the photos this stuff is just rubbish niggle, if that.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Only trouble is Sud, he already resigned with NZ for 4 years anyway. Not quite sure why he wouldn't ne welcome because he let himself be eye gouged but.....

Like Dan Carter... who is discussing with the Racing Metro 92.
Any contract can be breached.
Especially with the amount of money involved that NZ federation needs

J

Jay

Like Dan Carter... who is discussing with the Racing Metro 92.
Any contract can be breached.

Carter has another sabbatical clause in his NZRU contract (like his previous foray into French club rugby).

McCaw does too, I believe, though he's said in the past he'd probably use it to take a break from rugby and recuperate.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

That's an interesting thought. Maybe they just re-signed so the NZRU could eventually get the contract bought out by some cashed up club.

Probably not - particularly given the inclusion of a sabbatical clause - but still, an interesting thought.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Colin Meads baby - though McCaw has got to be catching up on him.
Interesting choice of former player to mention given this thread is about one player attempting to permanently injure an opponent during a game... Thankfully McCaw walked off the field at the end, unlike some unfortunate others in the past.

Eye gouging is truly a blight on what is an otherwise beautiful game. I still can't figure why people would do such a thing given the potential consequences to the other person.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wasn't taking you seriously cause you called it a punch.

From the replay - specifically the first angle - you can see that McCaw has his sights trained in Dusatoir in order to clear him out. He doesn't look at Parra at all.

I think there are a number of problems in the way of dismissing this as accidental contact: given the position of Lord McCaw's hand he would have known, in the sense that we all instinctively know where the parts of our body are relative to one another (google proprioception of you doubt this), that his knee was about to be in the same place; peripheral vision means that he can see not just what he's actually looking at (assuming he is looking at what you think he's looking at) but what is around it.
I had no doubt when I saw this in real time that it was absolutely deliberate.

J

Jay

I think there are a number of problems in the way of dismissing this as accidental contact: given the position of Lord McCaw's hand he would have known, in the sense that we all instinctively know where the parts of our body are relative to one another (google proprioception of you doubt this), that his knee was about to be in the same place; peripheral vision means that he can see not just what he's actually looking at (assuming he is looking at what you think he's looking at) but what is around it.
I had no doubt when I saw this in real time that it was absolutely deliberate.

When you saw it in real time? There was no way you saw it in real time unless you were at the ground - on the camera angle of the original broadcast you couldn't see that there'd been any contact with Parra at all (you can check here http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/video/index.html - it's at 9:40 on the game clock, 18:50 on the player).

The idea that McCaw could time that contact at full pace whilst looking at Dusatoir and making sure to hit him with the shoulder without breaking stride is frankly ludicrous. And when re-watched in real time it becomes even more ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.