• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rocky going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Guess this rules Cheika out of consideration for any role with the Force or Rebels then, eh?

At Leinster, Rocky's peculiar hamstrings (FWIW.. heard this may be a result of the way his spine curves, but..) received enormous attention and plenty of rest & recovery. He was fit. Cheika knows what Elsom can do for him and how to "manage" Elsom who had a close relationship with Cheika.

It's a good fit for Elsom, Cheika and Australian rugby if you ask me.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought the muted applause for Rocky's appearance against the Saders was telling of how many fans feel about him. Compare that to the huge roar that went up when McCaw went on. Even taking into account the shithouse-ness of Tahs fans, it was surprising.

So true, but then Kiwis can be a loud lot sometimes in observation of their God.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He did say "Burke in his later days".

I know and I disagree: Burke was a once in a generation player. Did he ever make a mistake in general play - sure he missed some goals - but even in his twilight when he had lost a bit of pace and was benched for the Wallabies I cant recall him making an error - I may, of course, have selective memory.
I remember him missing on from in front for the Tahs against the 'Canes (?) at SFS and he was cat called and derided: I took the view that he had done so much for Oz rugby that he was entitled to cost the Tahs the game by missing the goal!
That he was let go by the Tahs and later they struggled on with Waugh and his dodgy pec (or pectorial as Peter Stirling calls it) or bicep is one of the great mysteries. He could have held someone's hand - Peter Hewat for instance.

In Richard Brown's defence (a) he sure didnt hang on too long! (b) his debut for the Wallabies at Suncorp, I think, had everyone raving that this bloke was Australia's answer at No 8 - he played a blinder, as I recall. So you might have written him off but we were probably picking him because we just couldn't accept that a bloke could debut that well and then offer very little thereafter.

The other thing is: when I've been in NZ or talking to Kiwis and they really rate someone I'm often very wary - they defended Gregan based on his record when he hung on too long and i always suspected that it suited them to have us continuing to pick Gregan......I remember when he forgot to put his jersey on for an Auckland test and had to leave the field the people around us were more than happy to hold the game up so he could get back on!!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I remember him missing on from in front for the Tahs against the 'Canes (?) at SFS and he was cat called and derided: I took the view that he had done so much for Oz rugby that he was entitled to cost the Tahs the game by missing the goal!

Was against the Highlanders IIRC.

But also in 2004 he scored a couple of penalties to shut out the All Blacks in the Sydney test in his final Wallabies game on home soil. Having said that, he probably held out a year or two too long to go O/S.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Josh Rakic reports he will head to Japan - Europe - Japan - Europe, signing to Kobe Steel for 2 years with the possibility of a European club in the Japanese off season.

I understand he has been looking for a job in a steelworks ever since this photo shoot.

rocky_elsom1-600x400.jpg

It's been a disappointing couple of years for Rocky, lets hope that he can get some time on the park in the public eye and go out in style, not fade into oblivion.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Good luck to rock. My opinion of him really changed when I read his banter on the Gagger chat in the second test. It has been a woefull 2 years for him, hopefully he can put it behind him now and earn some coin.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Good luck to him, cruel that injury robbed him of the last couple of years, a fantastic player when fit and a champion bloke with one of the best senses of humor ive ever met.

Hope he stays on the park and has a great time.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Certainly a very good player a few years ago.

I think he was a very poor captain however. His manner and interactions with the referees was counter-productive and I suspect cost his team dearly in close games. He also didn't strike me as the sort of guy who could lead the troops into battle, preferring to just stick to doing his own job.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good luck to rock. My opinion of him really changed when I read his banter on the Gagger chat in the second test. It has been a woefull 2 years for him, hopefully he can put it behind him now and earn some coin.

Just out of interest RT, how was it? Funny, witty etc.?

I wish I could have been there. He seems like an interesting person. Very guarded the one time I met him.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Can someone please explain how Rocky is supposedly going to play a full season with Kobe and ALSO do a stint in Europe in the off season...... so continual rugby for over 12 months????

I'd be amazed if he comes even close to playing 4 thirty minute cameos in a 12 month period and that would be twice what he has given the Brumbies and Waratahs.

How does he think he will play in the off season as well as for Kobe, when currently he can't even fulfill his on season requirements???

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't know if this is true, but Don't Japan rugby play once a fortnight, both Craig wing and Peter Hewitt have mentioned it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Can someone please explain how Rocky is supposedly going to play a full season with Kobe and ALSO do a stint in Europe in the off season.. so continual rugby for over 12 months????

I'd be amazed if he comes even close to playing 4 thirty minute cameos in a 12 month period and that would be twice what he has given the Brumbies and Waratahs.

How does he think he will play in the off season as well as for Kobe, when currently he can't even fulfill his on season requirements???

Signed a huge deal with Kobe and thought it was a Steal

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Signed a huge deal with Kobe and thought it was a Steal

You are spot on Brumbies Jack.
It's a steal for Rocky.
Just as his deals with the Brumbies and now with the Waratahs have been.
On a paid by the hour played basis, I think he would have to be the highest paid player in Australia by a country mile.
Neither the Brumbies or Waratahs have seen much bang for their buck. I hope Kobe have a detailed contract stating pay per game with a requirement for a minimum show up clause.

T

TOCC

I don't know if this is true, but Don't Japan rugby play once a fortnight, both Craig wing and Peter Hewitt have mentioned it.

not to mention the rigours of Japanese rugby are significantly below Super Rugby, his training load will be reduced and the physical effects of a game will be reduced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.