• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rocky going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we got the 6 covered pretty well with the likes of Higgers, Dennis and Mowen. Would be happy with either of them in the wallabies jersey. Plus I have just never been a fan of Rocky.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
what skills is he lacking?, he is a big lock, his job is to push, move rucks and catch the ball above his head.

Plenty. Struggles to catch a ball most times, jump effectively in the lineout, is pretty lazy around the field and in the tackle contest. I'd like to see him make more dominant tackles with his size and use his body height more effect when running the ball. I have not be impressed when I've seen him play at a higher level than club rugby, eg. u20s (although he might've been carrying and injury then) and Tahs A.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking forward to seeing more of Greg Peterson, is he the tallest lock in Oz?
Certainly plays hard and tight from the little I've seen.

Peterson has been a development project for a couple of years now. You would expect that this year he would get a few 15 minute cameos off the bench with him becoming a permanent bench/occasional starting player next year. Problem is that our sequence of easy matches has gone, we are in a five week period when we have top line opposition and we are still scrapping for a finals spot. If we lose a couple now I fearlessly predict that we will see him getting some time before the end of the season. If we are still in the hunt for the finals up to round 18 it might have to wait for next year.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I thought the muted applause for Rocky's appearance against the Saders was telling of how many fans feel about him. Compare that to the huge roar that went up when McCaw went on. Even taking into account the shithouse-ness of Tahs fans, it was surprising.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I thought the muted applause for Rocky's appearance against the Saders was telling of how many fans feel about him. Compare that to the huge roar that went up when McCaw went on. Even taking into account the shithouse-ness of Tahs fans, it was surprising.

With due respect, rocky come back the week before. It was McCaws first game back and the SFS is always more kiwi than aus during crusaders matches, have been for years.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Wasn't much of a cheer the week before either though -- and it was a big crowd on Sunday.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Peterson and Jones, same as the u20s locks last year

I don't rate Peterson, solid at club rugby due to his size but a lack of skills won't see him progress further on imo

Yeah. not like that young players could possibly improve on their skills.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs will need a lineout caller without Rocky or Mumm. Time for one of the young fellas to step up.

S

Samo

As an ABs fan there were some players that were rated highly that I always liked to see on the team sheet when we were playing the wallabies because they weren't up to international standard - in my case Rocky was always one (along with Burke in his later days, etc. - as opposed to gregan, eales etc in their prime who were down right scary). Higgers gave me the shits when I first saw him because he seemed such a threat but not so much now that I've seen him playing a lot, Dennis I'm not sure as haven't seen him play enough, but Rocky definitely is not the answer at 6 from an opposition point of view so good ridance I reackon.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Welcome, Samo. Our cousins (in my case, literally, and from Otago at that) from across the ditch are very welcome here. We encourage thoughtful comments on the game we love, sometimes about teams we don't support.

You've made an excellent start. Please don't stop.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As an ABs fan there were some players that were rated highly that I always liked to see on the team sheet when we were playing the wallabies because they weren't up to international standard - in my case Rocky was always one (along with Burke in his later days, etc. - as opposed to gregan, eales etc in their prime who were down right scary). Higgers gave me the shits when I first saw him because he seemed such a threat but not so much now that I've seen him playing a lot, Dennis I'm not sure as haven't seen him play enough, but Rocky definitely is not the answer at 6 from an opposition point of view so good ridance I reackon.

I don't think too many would agree about Burke: he was world class. Love for you to give us an example for Burke as to what you saw as his weakness.......we can always learn from what our brothers across the ditch think.

Much as my view on Rocky now is well known I do think in the past that he troubled a lot of teams.....not like keiren read of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Burke's journalism is world class. News of the World, that is.

The "International Standard" standard is a bit of a crock, especially if you say players like Rocky didn't meet it. It is perhaps controversial as to whether he was ever the top player, or even in the top 2-3 players in his position. But then only one or two or three players are. If only 3 players meet that international standard for each position we can only scrape up three sides for internationals.

S

Samo

Yeah sorry, Burke was definitely an awesome player for a number of years, was a game changer, and undoubtably one to fear, but I thought he carried on at international level a bit too long - but this is of course just my memory (i.e. I can't remember specifics but thought he had a couple of shockers in Bledisloes towards the end but may be wrong). Probably a bad example really - Richard Brown maybe would be a better example - or I'd imagine the likes of say Antony Boric or Tom Donolly playing for the AB's - they don't really send a shiver down your spine do they?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Burke's journalism is world class comedy. News of the World, that is.

The "International Standard" standard is a bit of a crock, especially if you say players like Rocky didn't meet it. It is perhaps controversial as to whether he was ever the top player, or even in the top 2-3 players in his position. But then only one or two or three players are. If only 3 players meet that international standard for each position we can only scrape up three sides for internationals.

Fixed that for you.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah sorry, Burke was definitely an awesome player for a number of years, was a game changer, and undoubtably one to fear, but I thought he carried on at international level a bit too long - but this is of course just my memory (i.e. I can't remember specifics but thought he had a couple of shockers in Bledisloes towards the end but may be wrong). Probably a bad example really - Richard Brown maybe would be a better example - or I'd imagine the likes of say Antony Boric or Tom Donolly playing for the AB's - they don't really send a shiver down your spine do they?

Dick Brown at his best was a few classes below Burke at his worst. Unfortunately your Kiwi mate Dingo didn't agree with the rest of NZ/Aus/SA on a few players he has shown faith in over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.