• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Refereeing decisions

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
There is no offside until the moment someone takes possession of the ball. The players are allowed to retreat in any direction they want and at any speed provided they don't impede any other player from also competing for possession.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
provided they don't aren't judged to impede any other player from also competing for possession.

giphy.gif

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Obstruction. Has the same effect of a ball runner running behind one or more of his own teammates and effectively stops the opposition from contesting the ball.
Something have the same effect as another thing doesn't make those two things the same.
Forming a wall…
So they aren't allowed to run towards where the kick wil land?

How would you change the rules? Players are not allowed to turn around and chase a kick?

Players turn and chase kicks for more than just 'forming a wall' that protects the guy jumping to receive it. If there is a good chase from the attacking team, you need players there to do things like counter-attack or protect and secure possession if the catcher is tackled.

That means players have to run towards where the kick....

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Would everyone really be happy if Wilson was penalised in the first kick of the game here?
I agree with the point you're making.

My tongue-in-cheek response is, it looks like Wilson is pulling up so he doesn't collide with Noah. Sevu missed where the gap would be and has diverted his line rather than Wilson ;)

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I get your point Strewth, but Wilson is one player and arguably could have been in that position before the ball was kicked. The likelihood of a wall of four being coincidentally in that position prior to a box kick is a little harder to believe.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I get your point Strewth, but Wilson is one player and arguably could have been in that position before the ball was kicked. The likelihood of a wall of four being coincidentally in that position prior to a box kick is a little harder to believe.
Wilson was 20m upfield when it was kicked. He turned around and ran back to that spot, tracking the ball. If it's legal for one to do it, why do you think it's illegal for 4 to do it?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Frost, White, Koroibete and McReight are all running towards the kick catcher - Lolesio.

Where else would you have them run?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not really the same thing though. The players in front of the ball career are offside and aren't allowed to impact play.

Players running back to where a kick will land are onside, and may play the ball - we just don't know if they will yet.
Nah. Players in front of the catcher are offside the moment he touches the ball. If they or one of them hinder a chaser as they invariably do then it is clearly obstruction.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nah. Players in front of the catcher are offside the moment he touches the ball. If they or one of them hinder a chaser as they invariably do then it is clearly obstruction.
Same thing happens to every player in a maul or a ruck, as soon as the half takes it out. Or if you pass it directly behind you to a player running around. You would expect a ref to penalise any of them though

The game isn't reffed like that

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Nah. Players in front of the catcher are offside the moment he touches the ball. If they or one of them hinder a chaser as they invariably do then it is clearly
Actually, they have to intentionally obstruct a defender. Which is why there is no call if they do not change their line to block the opposition.

Again, are you going to penalise players for running towards the ball?

As Cyclopath said...this is silly.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Actually, they have to intentionally obstruct a defender. Which is why there is no call if they do not change their line to block the opposition.

Again, are you going to penalise players for running towards the ball?

As Cyclopath said...this is silly.
It passed silly a while back, and is careering towards...itself, in circles.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You may think it's silly, mine was a genuine question. And I would argue that the players are running to these positions to deliberately obstruct a defender. As, quite possibly was Wilson in the still you showed, however you would need a video clip to see whether he was already there or ran to that position to deliberately obstruct. Like so many things, it comes down to a ref's interpretation as to whether a player/s got into that position in order to deliberaltely obstruct.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You may think it's silly, mine was a genuine question. And I would argue that the players are running to these positions to deliberately obstruct a defender. As, quite possibly was Wilson in the still you showed, however you would need a video clip to see whether he was already there or ran to that position to deliberately obstruct. Like so many things, it comes down to a ref's interpretation as to whether a player/s got into that position in order to deliberaltely obstruct.
Your original question was not at all silly, it was a good point to raise. Some of the latter stuff is the silly part.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
They players know what they are doing is blocking. Otherwise they would run back behind the player to be able to support the next phase. The game / referees could get rid of this with a couple of penalties. If players were penalised as part of a 4 man wall, they wouldn't complain. They would be happy that they got away with it for so long.