• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

Yeah, that was the difference in the scrums...
Reality was though, that the Tahs ought to have won with all that pressure.
Personally, I thought the ref allowed too much fucking around with the scrums which dragged it all out. I think Phil should have taken the 3 early - when there was 20 mins or more to go, to be 1 point down would have been a good position, given that the Tahs were getting some ascendancy up front. The pigheadedness to keep bashing the same point home stuffed them, in every way.

Didn't say it was the difference in scrums. Tahs lucky not to get s few free kicks against them though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Very pyshical game, But was slowed down by so many scrums. Tahs scrum still looks the goods, Kepu for Wallabies!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
One good feature about the Tahs is their lineout throwing...I didn't see any crooked ones from both Taf or Uligia....

T

TOCC

NSW put in a good performance, and against most other teams the comp they would have come away with a win..

R

Richard D. James

It says a lot to me about the mindset of the tahs. Waugh's post match interview and he says "we didn't get the points we deserved".

Deserved?

They didn't deserve anything.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Feel for the Tahs, they certainly upped the effort and really gave it a shake tonight. Their inability or even disinterest in scoring by other avenues (penalties, some sort of backline participation) cost them.

Cooper, as mentioned, cruelled the Reds forwards by continuously pushing their fucking noses back to the grindstone with the sublime crapulence of his kicking.

I wonder if McKenzie wanted the reds to play that (kicking/field position) game? I'll bet he didn't want Cooper to be quite as mercurial......Took a superb effort from the Reds forwards in particular to hold the Tahs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
On a side note, Cannon was a royal goose of the highest order in the box tonight with some of his blathering. Made Marto look like Solomon. Can they get him just to run the water, or something?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
A win is a win, but it was very ugly.

A few observations that I made that are most likely incorrect. Samo seemed to pack with his shoulder almost sitting on top of the props bum, I would imagine if he had his shoulder under the bum and more on the thight then the Reds scrum would have looked a lot better as he would have been able to help with the push. Higginbotham packed poorly this week too, he never joined in on engage and pushed with his arms and then stuck his head in. I dont think the change in hooker to Hanson was the turning point, I think AWH coming on for Samo had a bigger impact.

On the engage I assumed that your head could not be below the waist, for the 20 odd minutes where the tahs dominated the scrum inside the Reds own 20 in the second half I am sure that Kepu was always driving down in the scrum, at no time was his head above his waist.

I am glad for the qld win, and glad to hear QC (Quade Cooper) just say they should put the try celebrations on hold as they played worse afterwards.

Good Luck to the Tahs to catch up to 1st in the Aussie conference, The Tahs now need to win twice in SA to keep up.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Still unconvinced by the Reds....they are fortunate that they haven't even played a NZ team yet.....Mitchell going down and then TPN spelled the loss of the game - especially with Beale going to FB and Halanghu coming in...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It says a lot to me about the mindset of the tahs. Waugh's post match interview and he says "we didn't get the points we deserved".

Deserved?

They didn't deserve anything.

I don't know, they played a pretty brutal second half, and went damn close to scoring a few times, but were undone by some very good defence, and their own shortcomings. If they had won that game, I would be surprised if an impartial observer could really say they didn't deserve it.
Just as the Reds were deserving winners - a game that close can go either way quite easily.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Initial Thoughts -

Tahs :-
1. They have nothing in attack. No backline structure at all. Burgess is so slow at the back of the ruck because nobody knows what is going to happen and not in a good way.
2. I am sick to death of aimless kicks. The Tahs do it continually because they have nothing else. One or two phases regardless of position on the field is then kick, be it chip, grubber or stupid centre field bomb. It is just such a lower percentage play. The only time the Tahs went more than two phases is when the backs didn't touch the ball.

Reds:-
1. Extremely lucky not to hav conceded a penalty try for continually collapsing the scrum. Note how much improved the scrum performance was when Finger was subbed. He is a very poor scrummaging Hooker.
2. Cooper had a very off night but I expect him to get back to his best.
3. Very good defensive structure, against a very limitted oposition but a very strong forward pack.

Referee:-
Walsh was crap on the breakdown in the first half. Nobody rolled away from either side.

Smith in the second half was better on the breakdown but forgot that the ball had to be thrown straight at the lineout.

I also have to say how the hell can an attacking team get awarded a scrum against them when the maul is held up so close to the line that he has to call for the TMO to rule a try or no try. In every case I can think of the attacking team will get the ball in the scrum as they were on attack when the play was stopped by the ref to get a ruling on the try.

All in all a predictable result and another year where the Tahs are shown up as having no real game plan. IMO the Tahs will miss the finals altogether.

G

GC

Only if you don't like rugby.

A truly compelling physical battle, huge hits, players run to a standstill. Not one for the barbecue, but one for the battlefield.

Yes, that's it, I don't like rugby.

Poor decision making and poor skills don't make for a great match, even if the forwards are putting in some epic hits. There's much more to a game than that.

I was, however, a winger when playing ;)

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Still unconvinced by the Reds....they are fortunate that they haven't even played a NZ team yet.....Mitchell going down and then TPN spelled the loss of the game - especially with Beale going to FB and Halanghu coming in...

Still unconvinced by the NZ teams. They are fortunate they still haven't played the reds yet.

Or maybe thats the Hoegaarden talking...... But if they have a bogie team, its the Tahs.

Now, where's the rest of that carton?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, that's it, I don't like rugby.

Poor decision making and poor skills don't make for a great match, even if the forwards are putting in some epic hits. There's much more to a game than that.

I was, however, a winger when playing ;)

So you think this was a worse game than the Tahs vs. the Cheetahs, which featured far worse skill levels and no intensity? :fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.