• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard D. James

I don't know, they played a pretty brutal second half, and went damn close to scoring a few times, but were undone by some very good defence, and their own shortcomings. If they had won that game, I would be surprised if an impartial observer could really say they didn't deserve it.
Just as the Reds were deserving winners - a game that close can go either way quite easily.

yep, fair enough. I'm just not a huge fan of repeatedly going for the penalty try from a 5 metre scrum.

It's such a low percentage play.

T

TOCC

On a side note, Cannon was a royal goose of the highest order in the box tonight with some of his blathering. Made Marto look like Solomon. Can they get him just to run the water, or something?

If i had the option to mute Cannon i would have, 95% of the time i like Canno's commentating. .but tonight he was a absolute twat

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Hopefully we don't take S.Fainga'a as the 3rd Hooker for the Wallabies.

Hopefully Slipper can help improve the Reds scrum over the coming weeks. Daley wasn't much tonight.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Still unconvinced by the NZ teams. They are fortunate they still haven't played the reds yet.

Or maybe thats the Hoegaarden talking...... But if they have a bogie team, its the Tahs.

Now, where's the rest of that carton?

Yeah - 3 NZ teams in the Top 6 I think....lucky NZ...

QC (Quade Cooper) looks shaky under real pressure when the game gets tight.....if the Tahs had someone with some attacking ability outside Beale, they would have taken that game....wtf will they do in 2012??

R

Richard D. James

I think the reds got the ball from that maul because they had pushed the tahs back into the field of play.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
yep, fair enough. I'm just not a huge fan of repeatedly going for the penalty try from a 5 metre scrum.

It's such a low percentage play.

Neither am I, but I enjoyed the theatre of it, in a way. Maybe Phil realised the backs had nothing to offer, although you'd have to think even Tommy Carter trucking it up from 5m must be a pretty good chance of getting over the gain line.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What did he say? Missed the post-game interview.

I'd be paraphrasing, but he basically said the Tahs deserved some points from it and the only difference between the two teams was one piece of individual brilliance from Quade Cooper.

He isn't far from the truth, but it's the way he said it more tha what he said. Pretty dismissive of the reds as a whole.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think the reds got the ball from that maul because they had pushed the tahs back into the field of play.

Actually, the ref called that it was because they took it into the maul which collapsed and was then unplayable....which was incorrect. It wasn't 'unplayable'...they just thought they scored a try....should have been 5m scrum to the Tahs

R

Richard D. James

I dunno. I've gotta say, I think tonight it was a high percentage play. The Waratahs scrum was extremely dominant.

One early engage, one hand on the ground, one incorrect bind and you're done.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Lack of composure by reds backs almost handed it to tahs after incredible defence by the forwards. Surely the tahs have someone with a bit of attacking flair to break up an opposing defensive lineup. With all that ball, it was extremely disappointing not to see Kingston touch the ball once. Cross can do a good swinging arm but put an attacking player at 13. And I don't care what Carter offers in defence he offers crap in attack. The tahs went in with a boring plan to offer a defensive backline and so good was that defence Quade could slip through it. The tahs game plan for decades matches the mind set of the captain. Stodgy, predictable shit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

QC (Quade Cooper) looks shaky under real pressure when the game gets tight.....if the Tahs had someone with some attacking ability outside Beale, they would have taken that game....wtf will they do in 2010??

Hickey has a time machine?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

QC (Quade Cooper) looks shaky under real pressure when the game gets tight.....if the Tahs had someone with some attacking ability outside Beale, they would have taken that game....wtf will they do in 2010??

Mate, the reds can't do anything about the tahs, bulls, rebels, cheetahs and brumbies throwing games against kiwi teams!

But seriously, QC (Quade Cooper) was hopeless, he gave the tahs a smorgasboard of possession and territory off the boot.. He has previously brought the same lack of composure to games against the NZ teams, I guess he sees them at high stakes. Hopefully this year that game was his everest.

R

Richard D. James

If the player was pushed back into the field of play why didn't the follow scenario ensue then :

A) Play allowed to continue
B) Reds players have to roll away/release.

Yeah, not saying I agree with the call, that's just what I thought it was. Ball was unplayable and the Reds were going forward having just pushed the tahs back into the field of play.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The second half ref was utter crap. Real shame as Walsh was having a good game in the first half. Good courage from the Reds and a great performance from the crowd. They came through on the TV as very vocal. If I was a Tahs fan I would be pretty pissed off at Phil Waugh.

Sad to see that injury to Drew. It looked terrible.

Go the Reds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Actually, the ref called that it was because they took it into the maul which collapsed and was then unplayable....which was incorrect. It wasn't 'unplayable'...they just thought they scored a try....should have been 5m scrum to the Tahs

He ruled it hadn't definitely crossed the line, was a maul held up therefore turnover. The reasoning seems logical, if the interpretation of the actual situation seems completely wrong - I mean 5 or 6 Tahs players were over the line. I agree 5m scrum to Tahs, but the way he explained it, it was correct, if you see what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.