• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe a 5/2 split with no outside back reserve. Volavola could cover.

well you were right

16. Ulugia
17. Robinson
18. Ryan
19. Chapman
20. Timani
21. Lucas
22. Volavola

Guessing they're going to really attack the Reds scrum. Glad to see Lucas there but I don't think he played much in the trials? Wasn't impressed by Hart.

P

Paradox

FatCat to the bench? Been living on reputation for a while now. Oz needs him back to his best form of a few years ago so hopefully this is a well timed kick in the bum :)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
big statement about how the Tahs are going to approach this one.

Question for the Reds guys, how do you see the Reds approaching this one now given that it looks like the Tahs are going to smash you upfront? Are you confident that once the Tahs bring on a fresh front row will the Reds be able to cope in the tight exchanges?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shit, a fresh front row of

Robinson, Ulugia & Ryan

for the last 30 minutes in the wet

The Reds will be wanting to move it around and not knock it on

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
FatCat to the bench? Been living on reputation for a while now. Oz needs him back to his best form of a few years ago so hopefully this is a well timed kick in the bum :)
He was off form for a while, but he came into his own later last year and was scrummaging and playing well. He is a slow starter to every season (I mean, FFS, it's no fucken mystery when the season starts!!!) but I think he will be be an important part of Aus rugby this year, as long as injuries don't intervene.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey guys,
Here is a gem of a question asked from the genius Brendan Cannon on tonights RugbyHQ to Michael Chieka and Ewan McKensie.....
"Ewan, what do you think Michael Chieka is going to bring to the game on Saturday night for both of you in terms of having played with them, now that they're coaching both sides whats going to be the personal influences you are both going to bring?"

This guys needs his own show!!!o_O

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
big statement about how the Tahs are going to approach this one.

Question for the Reds guys, how do you see the Reds approaching this one now given that it looks like the Tahs are going to smash you upfront? Are you confident that once the Tahs bring on a fresh front row will the Reds be able to cope in the tight exchanges?

Reds won't have a problem in tight. Their front row does loads of work around the park. One of the reasons they won in 2011 and went ok in 2012. Slipper and Daley are workhorses and Holmes is no slouch. All will do more work grunt work than, say, Kepu in a game normally. Yes, I know Daley is out.

The only given to this Reds supporter is shallow analysis from one eyed fans (on both sides). If selecting an extra prop was a magic bullet to smashing teams in the tight then more sides would do it. Generally the extra prop is a risky play as the coverage for injuries is severely lessened to get some scrum dominance (or improved competitiveness) late in the game. If you want to smash people in the tight late in the game then take another hulking backrower, or Bakkies style second rower.

Now, scrummaging is another matter. As fatprop (edit: and qwerty) said, the Reds scrum will likely be under massive pressure late in the game with a fresh Robinson and Ryan on the park.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
sorry to break it to you nsw blokes but the forecast is for a dry Saturday.. That changes the situation to 45000 queensland fans roaring their team home in the last ten minutes

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My match ups:

Slipper 1/3 Kepu
Fainga'a 2 TPN
Holmes 3/1 Tilse
O’Donoghue 4/5 Douglas
Simmons 5/4 Timani
Quirk 6 Dennis
Gill 7 Hooper
Schatz 8 Palu
Lucas 9 McKibbin
Cooper 10 Foley
Ioane 11/14 Mitchell
Tapuai 12 Carter
Feauai-Sautia 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Shipperley 14/11 Kingston
Harris 15 Folau

Hanson 16 Ulugia
Anae 17 Robinson
Wallace-Harrison 18 Ryan
Butler 19 Chapman
Frisby 20 Timani
Lance 21 Lucas
Morahan 22 Volavola

The reserve 18s and 21s aren't exact matches, no point in choosing sides there. Halfbacks? Haven't seen enough of either to make a choice.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking at the tahs line-up its clear they're going to try to outmuscle the Reds. The tahs will have Robinson and Ryan on in the second half and theyll dominate Slipper/Anae at scrum time. The Reds need to play an expansive style and really try to run the Tahs pack ragged, kick for the corners and attack the lineout. With no Samo/Horwill/Genia/Fainga'a/Robinson not sure they can do it. the saving grace is the backline. we definitely has the ability to score some tries. If the forwards can ride the suncorp crowd and achieve parity, we can win this game. If we play like we did last week we're boned.

This is a great match for Cooper to show us what he can do. He can turn this game on its head.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
so they prefer a dry track and a wet one

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Well no I don't think they prefer a wet track, all the talk is the expansive way they want to play and their back 3 will want the ball.

I wonder if McKibbin or Foley will kick for the Tahs. That could be an issue, goal kicking.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The tahs will have Robinson and Ryan on in the second half and theyll dominate Slipper/Anae at scrum time.

I'll give you the tip - Anae will come out comfortably on top of Ryan, as long as Slipper can find a way to hold Robinson.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its a 5:2 bench, but if one of our outside backs go down then it will require massive rearrangements with the backline. I don't see Volavola as a wing or outside centre.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs: Israel Folau, Tom Kingston, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tom Carter, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Brendan McKibbin, Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper, Dave Dennis (c), Kane Douglas, Sitaleki Timani, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Jeremy Tilse. Reserves: John Ulugia, Benn Robinson, Mitchell Chapman, Lopeti Timani, David Hickey, Grayson Hart, Ben Volavola.

The SMH has a different bench that would mean a back 5 potentially of

4 Chapman
5 Dennis
6 Hooper
7 Hickey
8 L Timani

and that is a rather mobile set

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well no I don't think they prefer a wet track, all the talk is the expansive way they want to play and their back 3 will want the ball.....
Actions speak louder than words.They have picked a bench for an arm wrestle.Most people think the Tahs have an edge in the pigs,and the Reds in the backs.
It makes sense therefore for the Tahs to want to play 10 man Rugby this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.