• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Waratahs Rd 18 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That Slipper try wasn't a poor throw from TPN. It looked spot on, Mumm got a poor lift and didn't get high enough, he was off balance and didn't get his body upright to get the required height.
Except why are they throwing it back there: TPN is a noted poor thrower and the further he is asked to throw it the more opportunity for problems.
Its little things like this that make me mad: this a team with a justifiable lack of self confidence - why dont they go all the way back to the basics ad throw to 2 on their own line so nothing bad happens?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Except why are they throwing it back there: TPN is a noted poor thrower and the further he is asked to throw it the more opportunity for problems.
Its little things like this that make me mad: this a team with a justifiable lack of self confidence - why dont they go all the way back to the basics ad throw to 2 on their own line so nothing bad happens?

Because if it's so obvious they're going to throw to the first pod then the Reds will attack there.. duh. Mumm was unchallenged. It was poor execution all round but I don't think it's TPN's fault.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Because if it's so obvious they're going to throw to the first pod then the Reds will attack there.. duh. Mumm was unchallenged. It was poor execution all round but I don't think it's TPN's fault.

Is this an admission that the Tahs are incapable of disguising where the ball is going? if not it makes no sense and if so then its beyond redemption.
Nothing in my comment suggested is should be "so obvious", by the way.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Tahs' lineout certainly wasn't as good this year as it has been in previous years.......

No doubt the loss of Vickerman and Mowen have contributed there.......

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
That Slipper try wasn't a poor throw from TPN. It looked spot on, Mumm got a poor lift and didn't get high enough, he was off balance and didn't get his body upright to get the required height.

The height of the throw from TPN was not the problem.

The lifters got Mumm to full extension but after the ball had passed over him. Mumm leaned back to try and rescue the overthrow. Problem wasn't the lifters or jumpers.

The problem was the timing - the call was clearly to the middle of the lineout so the trigger for TPN to throw would have been as Mumm left the ground but as you can see in the shot below TPN has already thrown when Mumm is on the ground and his lifters haven't arrived yet so there is no possibility that Mumm can ever get into position to catch that ball.

This is a recurring problem for TPN and one of the reasons he overthrows so much.

TPN Timing.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with Scott and that analysis makes complete sense. The problen TPN has faced this year is consistancy in selection. How many differnt callers did they use? They kept changing their locking combination during the year which had Mumm never being consistantly selected. Surely it plausable they had trouble forming combination.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Were you watching the same game? Yes Hart's kicking was off but his delivery was a massive upgrade on Mckibbin and Pretorius. Put his runners in good position with time to hit the line. I don't think you have any great understanding of scrum half play or backline play in general. Hart is an upgrade on the two guys who have delivered such great results for the Tahs throughout the season.

yeah I was at the game. With a handful of highly credentialed (and accredited) rugby types. We all agreed - Hart was shite.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I was at the game. With a handful of highly credentialed (and accredited) rugby types. We all agreed - Hart was shite.

sorry, this is a rather harsh post and I thought I should return and clarify my thoughts. Firstly, Hart did indeed have some positives. I saw a couple of nice clearances, although he was inconsistent. And I liked his enthusiasm in always charging down the conversions - I reckon this had legitimate impact on Harris missing a few.

But I thought his option taking was terrible. Happy to put this down to nerves and inexperience and the fact he was playing against the world's best and had a rookie 10 outside him. But I maintain I didn't see much in him that would lead me to believe he is the Tahs answer. McKibbon would be closer to the man there.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree with Scott and that analysis makes complete sense. The problen TPN has faced this year is consistancy in selection. How many differnt callers did they use? They kept changing their locking combination during the year which had Mumm never being consistantly selected. Surely it plausable they had trouble forming combination.
Why cant TPN call the lineout, and say where he will be putting the ball? Make it schoolboy stuff, either 2,4,6 or the long ball to 8. Keep it simple and let the forwards worry about being where the ball is going

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs' lineout certainly wasn't as good this year as it has been in previous years...

No doubt the loss of Vickerman and Mowen have contributed there...

Vickerman was never a loss because he didn't play and I predicted that when he was signed last year. He his couple of games last year his lineout work was poor and it was excused on lack of match fitness and combinations, so why was he selected? Along with Elsom perhaps the worst signing in Tahs history.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Harris is playing better and better each week and is starting to look like he could become a real international player (rather than just a fill in one). Reckon he outplayed Barnes last night.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Harris is playing better and better each week and is starting to look like he could become a real international player (rather than just a fill in one). Reckon he outplayed Barnes last night.
Big call. I will say he looks better and better each game.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Why cant TPN call the lineout, and say where he will be putting the ball? Make it schoolboy stuff, either 2,4,6 or the long ball to 8. Keep it simple and let the forwards worry about being where the ball is going

Hard on the thrower to call the lineout - you need to be in the line to really observe what the opposition is doing and therefore where the space is to call to. Make it too simple and you'll get picked off by the opposition. Being in the line you can also change you pre-planned call if the opposition move into the space you were going to target.

I don't believe there was any issue with the calling last night. TPN knows where the ball is supposed to be delivered - it's not a calling issue.

Take the particular lineout we've been talking about - the call was good - opportunity was correctly identified, a nice fake at the front created indecision with the opposition, middle ball was easy to hit, lifters and jumpers got into position at the appropriate time in the appropriate position and TPN threw the ball at the right height to the right position so they all understood the call.

It was just he threw it way too early. Every other membe rof the Tahs lineout did their job correctly.

This is not an isolated issue - TPN makes the same mistakes over and over again and has been making the same mistakes in past seasons as well. You can see some of the same mistakes in this video I prepared after the Welsh series http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/who-should-be-the-wallabies-starting-hooker/2/

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)

Now he's learned to run onto Coopers pass he looks good yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.