• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Waratahs Rd 18 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hard on the thrower to call the lineout - you need to be in the line to really observe what the opposition is doing and therefore where the space is to call to. Make it too simple and you'll get picked off by the opposition. Being in the line you can also change you pre-planned call if the opposition move into the space you were going to target.

I don't believe there was any issue with the calling last night. TPN knows where the ball is supposed to be delivered - it's not a calling issue.

Take the particular lineout we've been talking about - the call was good - opportunity was correctly identified, a nice fake at the front created indecision with the opposition, middle ball was easy to hit, lifters and jumpers got into position at the appropriate time in the appropriate position and TPN threw the ball at the right height to the right position so they all understood the call.

It was just he threw it way too early. Every other membe rof the Tahs lineout did their job correctly.

This is not an isolated issue - TPN makes the same mistakes over and over again and has been making the same mistakes in past seasons as well. You can see some of the same mistakes in this video I prepared after the Welsh series http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/who-should-be-the-wallabies-starting-hooker/2/

Good post. Plus no other international hookers call lineouts. That is left to the locks/loosies

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vickerman was never a loss because he didn't play and I predicted that when he was signed last year. He his couple of games last year his lineout work was poor and it was excused on lack of match fitness and combinations, so why was he selected? Along with Elsom perhaps the worst signing in Tahs history.

And in hindsight I now remember how poor the Wallaby lineout functioned last year when Vickerman took over from Sharpe.......

Rugbyrugbyrugby

Frank Row (1)
sorry, this is a rather harsh post and I thought I should return and clarify my thoughts. Firstly, Hart did indeed have some positives. I saw a couple of nice clearances, although he was inconsistent. And I liked his enthusiasm in always charging down the conversions - I reckon this had legitimate impact on Harris missing a few.

But I thought his option taking was terrible. Happy to put this down to nerves and inexperience and the fact he was playing against the world's best and had a rookie 10 outside him. But I maintain I didn't see much in him that would lead me to believe he is the Tahs answer. McKibbon would be closer to the man there.

I work for a Super Rugby side in NZ and have followed Hart's progress for a few years. What you have to realise is that he has had two starts at Super Rugby level, TWO starts. His previous 7 games were all 15-20 minutes appearances off the bench for my side, the Blues in 2009.

Does anyone recall Will Genia's play for the Reds in 2007-2008? He was very average. Decision making was sketchy and his kicking game wasn't noteworthy. Same goes for Aaron Smith during his first couple of Super Rugby seasons. It takes more than a hanful of starts for a scrum half to begin playing fluidly at Super Rugby level. Hart has shown enough in terms of his delivery, physicality and defense to think that with a full preseason behind him and a settled team around him, he could be the Tahs' scrum half of the future. Hence why they've tried him out and invested in him for another year. You don't keep a player like Aaron Smith on the bench for the NZ Colts world cup campaign without having a high level of rugby ability.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
There are tin foil murmurings at LU that the Tahs threw the match because it's worth more to the ARU for the Reds to be in the finals with a home game at a packed Suncorp Stadium than a scraggle in the ACT. Points to the lack of discussion about a Brumbies team making the finals for the first time in 10 years cf all of the talk and speculation about the Reds chances of getting there as support for the theory.

W

What2040

There are tin foil murmurings at LU that the Tahs threw the match because it's worth more to the ARU for the Reds to be in the finals with a home game at a packed Suncorp Stadium than a scraggle in the ACT. Points to the lack of discussion about a Brumbies team making the finals for the first time in 10 years cf all of the talk and speculation about the Reds chances of getting there as support for the theory.

grassy knoll theory comes to life AGAIN. Whilst the Tahs were poor this year there is no way they would intentionally lose to the enemy. To even think that is disrespectful to the Tahs players.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Harris is playing better and better each week and is starting to look like he could become a real international player (rather than just a fill in one). Reckon he outplayed Barnes last night.
Given that Barnes was playing on one leg it's not saying much.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There are tin foil murmurings at LU that the Tahs threw the match

Having watched every Tahs match in Australia this year bar two I can inform LU they tried as hard on Saturday as they ever have and played exactly the same way as in their wins and losses.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Now he's learned to run onto Coopers pass he looks good yeah.

He is starting to use his size more effectively. Making it over the gain line on crash ball, with ability to also distribute when required (not to mention kick as well). I always thought he was going to be a limited player, but he is showing a lot more in the last few matches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Looks like the time with the Wallabies has really helped his development. Taps is going to find it hard to get back into the side if he keeps improving and playing as he has these last few weeks.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

I'm amazed the combined efforts of the posters at LU were able to come up with that tin foil hat rumor.

My family is pre-dominantly loig - I can say it ;).

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
League Unlimited (website for all things Loig).

(I'll have a right good laugh if it turns out to be something completely different).

Status
Not open for further replies.