• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Wales, Suncorp Stadium - 19/7

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Hey so for people who know wtf is going on in a maul I have a question.

You aren't allowed to change your 'bind' in a maul, I believe. But you are allowed to 'come through the middle' and tackle the ball carrier. How is is this possible without changing your bind?
I’m not a ref but my interpretation is that when they say you can’t change your bind they are talking about the guys on the edge who are trying to swim around the outside. So, by changing their bind, they are being deemed to detach from the maul and therefore would be offside if they attach again. Or they are talking about the ball carrier who - again - by repositioning are creating an illegal obstruction (this one actually happens all the time and is let go most times).

If you come through the middle you are always part of the maul.

Edit: I will say that having been part of rugby for 35 yrs now, coaching and doing some refereeing I admit I am far from confident my answer above is correct :)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought he played well, but I don't think it was as much as a 7 as it was as a generic backrow, or that he's a realistic option at 7 in test matches. At least i wouldn't be running him (or T.Hooper/Gleeson) there without significant changes to our gameplan.

I do think we're about to see out and out fetcher 7s have a period of prominence again, particularly those who with pace and excellent timing - the banning of the crocodile roll (and the resultant increased focus on the already illegal neck roll) makes it much harder to shift players that win the race to the ball without giving away a penalty. I'd be making sure to run someone who fits that bill (ideally at 7) in every game, at least while there is a season or two adjustment period and easy penalties to be won. That said, I was very much an on ball backrower in my playing days, and I definitely have some bias for the role as a result.
So, if Wright is out for a while and McReight goes down with injury/illness or just needs a rest, who would you play at 7? Would be between Wilkin and Reimer in my book, but others also have good things to say about Tizzano and Gamble.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Hey so for people who know wtf is going on in a maul I have a question.

You aren't allowed to change your 'bind' in a maul, I believe. But you are allowed to 'come through the middle' and tackle the ball carrier. How is is this possible without changing your bind?
The law says.....

All players in a maul must be caught in or bound to it and not just alongside it. A player in possession of the ball must not slide or move backwards in the maul.

So come though the middle, you are deemed to be "caught in"

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So, if Wright is out for a while and McReight goes down with injury/illness or just needs a rest, who would you play at 7? Would be between Wilkin and Reimer in my book, but others also have good things to say about Tizzano and Gamble.
Wilkin is probably the first one I'd call into the squad as actual cover. For mine he's more complete and "test ready" than the rest, and is good enough in the lineout he could probably play at 6 off the bench (though wouldn't be my first choice there).

After that it's a bit of a flat list of Tizzano, Reimer and Scott. They've all got their strengths and weaknesses and are probably a year or so off being quite ready, but would probably do the job you asked of them (which would be slightly different for each). There is an argument for bringing one of these guys into the squad over Wilkin if you're confident Wright is only out for a little while and you don't think you'll really use them. They've all 3-4 years younger than Wilkin and might trump him as long term projects as a result.

I don't really rate Gamble, I think his ceiling is lower and he's less consistent than the rest, particularly off recent form.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was sitting near the Reds tryline in the 2nd half and Werchon was very active in defence, made some good tackles on big guys

It was a good crowd Dan, and a real buzz going into the ground with a lot of young kids in the crowd. Well played by both teams - no shots at goal for penalties, so lots of ball in hand play. I hadn't been to a Reds game for years (Brad era) and really enjoyed it so family talking about going more often next season.
So pleased to hear that LC, it's what we need every now and then, just a good enjoyable game of rugby to get family into it. The fact your family enjoyed it is great!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fantastic game of footy I thought. Real exciting, especially in the second half and that try from the Reds to go length of the field was magnificent.

THIS is the kind of stuff that will bring punters back to the game here. Good crowd too.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
only caught the second half, but geez what a showing by the reds. suspect with another year under kiss they will be pushing for semi's next season.

and maybe even the finals?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fantastic game of footy I thought. Real exciting, especially in the second half and that try from the Reds to go length of the field was magnificent.

THIS is the kind of stuff that will bring punters back to the game here. Good crowd too.
The length of the field try is in my top few tries by the Reds ever, right up there with Quade kicking across the in goal to Digby against the force many years ago. Higgers also scored a long rang try from a kick that would he on my list.

Awesome game and such a shame a lot of people wont have seen how good Rugby can be. It was probably my favourite game for a few years. in any type of rugby.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
My one beef with that brilliant length of the field try: I got caught watching on the screen instead of live, even with Grealy scoring it right in the corner where I was sitting!