• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Rebels, Sat May 17 @ 7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
In non-ref related stuff, that was, by a distance, the best game Colby has ever played for the Rebels. He was almost as good as his stubble looked.

To the credit of T McGahan, there are a good number of Rebels players that are steadily improving their skills and self-confidence and on field commitment this year. Sadly, that cannot be convincingly said of the 2014 Reds.

That type of improvement in numerous players, almost independent of short term w-l outcomes, is but one proxy or marker of competent rugby coaching, and, without it, there will be no ultimate improvement in w-l outcomes over a longer period.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I going to put my head on the choping block here and say, I agree with the Red card. At very look in real time I didn't give much attention but when looking at it later you can see EOD acually curls his fingers up around Higginbothams eyes and keeps them there. All he didn't do was break the skin.

I would like to say that I'm not exonerating Higginbotham either. I believe he did use his head leading into the gouge. There was a good angle looking toward the Reds goal line where I am certain you see Higginbotham drive his head into EOD.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
In non-ref related stuff, that was, by a distance, the best game Colby has ever played for the Rebels. He was almost as good as his stubble looked.

Aside form that silly penalty, he was excellent. Close to his best game for the rebels? I think at least 4 offloads, 11 runs for 70m. Can't remember tackle count. And he has bragging rights over his brothers :)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think it does matter. If a player clearly headbutted, it is relevant. If a player headbutted in retaliation, it is also relevant. If he cannot be sure anyone actually headbutted, and the TMO says it was a clear RC for gouging, the course of action is set. I'm not sure a headbutt by either player was clearly seen on the views I saw. I have not watched a replay yet.

Suggest you watch the repaly.
It was very clearly a headbutt.
But a headbutt as defined in the modern game i.e., I'm pissed but the cameras are watching so i'm going to subtly push your head hard with mine to show my dicks bigger than yours.
Ranked right up there with the - I'm going to swing a punch but if I hold your jersey and don't let go while I do it it wont look so bad and I wont get reported/carded.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I going to put my head on the choping block here and say, I agree with the Red card. At very look in real time I didn't give much attention but when looking at it later you can see EOD acually curls his fingers up around Higginbothams eyes and keeps them there. All he didn't do was break the skin.

I would like to say that I'm not exonerating Higginbotham either. I believe he did use his head leading into the gouge. There was a good angle looking toward the Reds goal line where I am certain you see Higginbotham drive his head into EOD.

^
||
This.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

For mine the bottom line is if you're going to put your hands on another players' face like that you are the one opening yourself up to claims of eye-gouging.

You just don't do it, "heat of the moment" or not. It was dumb and he deserved whatever interpretation came his way after it.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I think its wonderful queenslanders might finally see why other supporters see higgers for the grub he really is during his time with the reds.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
To the credit of T McGahan, there are a good number of Rebels players that are steadily improving their skills and self-confidence and on field commitment this year. Sadly, that cannot be convincingly said of the 2014 Reds.

That type of improvement in numerous players, almost independent of short term w-l outcomes, is but one proxy or marker of competent rugby coaching, and, without it, there will be no ultimate improvement in w-l outcomes over a longer period.

I'd agree with that. There are many, many, players who have taken big steps this year - mostly in the forwards as well. McMahon, Colby, Jones, PAE, CAN Horie, Hegarty, Inman etc. etc. have all come on in leaps and bounds.

The criticism laid against McGahan from Rebels supporters has been gameplan based. Mostly anyway. The kicking, territory based game, just doesn't suit the players we have at all. It's a team of ball-carriers, who all look like they're having the time of their lives when they're actually allowed to run with the pill like they were tonight. Hopefully what he saw tonight will persuade him that sometimes running isn't the worst thing in the world.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I have to say, I'd have been happier losing so often if we played like we did tonight.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Suggest you watch the repaly.
It was very clearly a headbutt.
But a headbutt as defined in the modern game i.e., I'm pissed but the cameras are watching so i'm going to subtly push your head hard with mine to show my dicks bigger than yours.
Ranked right up there with the - I'm going to swing a punch but if I hold your jersey and don't let go while I do it it wont look so bad and I wont get reported/carded.
Yeah, nah. Once was enough. I saw the replays that Walsh saw at the time and I'm not that invested in it to go over it again. I'm more looking at the process that was actually followed.
Walsh watched what he had available to watch, saw nothing definitive prior to the "gouge", but conceded he saw head contact in the scuffle, which he could not be sure was a headbutt by either party, so went with the "gouge", about which the TMO was adamant, so there it lies.
You're adamant it was a headbutt, I'm not so sure.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'd agree with that. There are many, many, players who have taken big steps this year - mostly in the forwards as well. McMahon, Colby, Jones, PAE, CAN Horie, Hegarty, Inman etc. etc. have all come on in leaps and bounds.

The criticism laid against McGahan from Rebels supporters has been gameplan based. Mostly anyway. The kicking, territory based game, just doesn't suit the players we have at all. It's a team of ball-carriers, who all look like they're having the time of their lives when they're actually allowed to run with the pill like they were tonight. Hopefully what he saw tonight will persuade him that sometimes running isn't the worst thing in the world.

Yep.
Not sure I'd argue with the rebels 4/5 in green and gold...

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Aside form that silly penalty, he was excellent. Close to his best game for the rebels? I think at least 4 offloads, 11 runs for 70m. Can't remember tackle count. And he has bragging rights over his brothers :)

He was everywhere. Just a brilliant linking game - played tight as well, not just hanging out in the centres. Been waiting for this game from the day he signed. Very happy chappy tonight.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep.
Not sure I'd argue with the rebels 4/5 in green and gold.

Ha, I would to be honest. Neville still isn't there for me. Against the top teams, against genuinely ruthless forward packs, he'd get exposed IMO. Don't think Jones had his best game tonight - but still outplayed Simmons and Horwill. He's done enough to deserve a shot for mine, the question is who does he get paired with. I'd probably go with Simmons for his defensive workrate and lineout ability.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
From a neutral point of view I thought the Rebels clearly outplayed the Reds. But.. the score was just too close. I expected the game to finish as a draw until the TMO callback and you have to ask why, if the teams were that close on the scoreboard do I and many others on the thread think the Reds were totally outplayed. Either we are all watching with blue tinted glasses and the teams were even or there has to be a reason for the score being so close.

I haven't got an answer to my own question other than maybe they got the rub of the green from Walsh. But I think its a very important question to answer from both teams point of view. If the Rebels were dominant why weren't they up on the scoreboard? If the Reds were crap, how come they got so close?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I agree Cyclo I don't think there was enough evidence to call anything. But he did and we found a new way to lose. I'm sure we will see another week of Reds fan calling for the heads of everyone and a few "I told you so" post thrown in for good measure.

btw I said the Reds were crap in 2009. Yes you heard it here first!

Look! The sky is falling.

You mock the Reds supporters who would point out the failings of the current Reds team as chicken little alarmists, But sticking your head in the stand and steadfastly denying anything is amiss is just as damaging.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Ha, I would to be honest. Neville still isn't there for me. Against the top teams, against genuinely ruthless forward packs, he'd get exposed IMO. Don't think Jones had his best game tonight - but still outplayed Simmons and Horwill. He's done enough to deserve a shot for mine, the question is who does he get paired with. I'd probably go with Simmons for his defensive workrate and lineout ability.

Didn't say starting 4/5 - just in green and gold (squad)
Agree Jones was the pick of the locks tonight..

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You mock the Reds supporters who would point out the failings of the current Reds team as chicken little alarmists, But sticking your head in the stand and steadfastly denying anything is amiss is just as damaging.
Of Course there is something wrong but posting the same thing over and over on a internet forum isn't going to fix it.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Being at the game, I haven't had an opportunity to see whether it was a deliberate eye gouge or not, but EoD was retarded to put his hands all over the face of Higgers and deserved to draw the penalty and get carded.

That stuff is really irrelevant though.

What is relevant is that Horwill and Graham have latched onto this as a reason they lost the match. The match was lost well before that point.

It is unbelievable for a team to constantly have so much ball in the opposition 22 and NOT get tries. Not just in this match, but in most matches this season. Other teams have infringements and get the penalty advantage and still get tries. The reds simply can't. They are utterly devoid of any ability to execute even the most basic of attacking moves it would seem.

Confidence? Skill sets? Genetics? Lack of practice? Mental block? I have no idea what the deficiency is, but it is a major impediment.

Defence: It is unbelievable to see the holes appear in front of the attack with monotonous regularity. I can't imagine how the training must go, but the little bit the reds had in one of their youtubes earlier this week showed the blue team (reserves) being able to skirt the red team (run on team) in defence just by passing it wide.

If the coaches and leadership think that rough decisions are costing them games, they are deluding themselves.

The team has some major problems that are the real reason they are losing and they need to front up to those deficiencies before they can expect anything starts to get better.

If Richard is still to be the coach, then he probably needs some real assistance in gaining the support of the team. He may be a nice guy and all, but he is not a leader (manager, coach or anything else you might want to call it), and he will always struggle to gain the respect of people that know that they are infinitely better than he is. Some people seem to be able to lead even though everyone knows they are not as good as the other players - but RG is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.