• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Rebels, Sat May 17 @ 7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It is unbelievable for a team to constantly have so much ball in the opposition 22 and NOT get tries
Why is it unbelievable?
Who have the reds got this season that are genuine line breakers?
Who draws more than one defender because of their attacking ability?
Who's the go to guy when you need a try at the death....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Red card aside, Rebels deserved that win.

The Reds were still shithouse, and if Graham still has a job by the end of the season the QRU just lost one member.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure you understand the point of Internet forums. :)

Agree, and I know for a fact btw that many journos, rugby officials, players, club managers, and quite senior rugby executives and coaches read GAGR and other rugby blogs.

The quality, passion and knowledge to be found here at GAGR and say in the Roar comments threads far exceeds what can be found in Aus mainstream rugby journalism and on the likes of Rugby HQ.

So it's no wonder that rugby elites come here for a good bit of fan articulation, thinking and analysis.

When posters here start admonishing others for routinely highlighting the failures of various elite coaches or managers it typically means they don't want their blind loyalty and de facto deference to these sorts of elites challenged, so they have a crack at we critics and fault-finders as being parties that 'no one really takes any notice of', or 'it won't change anything', all up just a second-rate, patronising and lazy attempt at a put down whilst avoiding the painful issues being raised.

But, amusingly, these same posters keep making their same defences and team or leader-love comments just as repetitively as those they aim to silence or sideline. It's just not as repetitive if they say it.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
He was everywhere. Just a brilliant linking game - played tight as well, not just hanging out in the centres. Been waiting for this game from the day he signed. Very happy chappy tonight.
Its what us Brumbies fans know his good for .. I'm glad too see him playing

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why is it unbelievable?
Who have the reds got this season that are genuine line breakers?
Who draws more than one defender because of their attacking ability?
Who's the go to guy when you need a try at the death..
It's not the players. It is the way they are playing.

Not every team in the competition has a Digby, or Samo and yet they cope just fine with being able to get over the try line. FFS, against the reds you just need to run straight at the posts and seven tacklers will fail to stop you (just ask Burgess).

Only the reds seem to struggle so much to get over the line - and it is always a dropped ball, forward pass, poor execution in the ruck, not releasing etc etc etc. It is not the players - it is what the players are doing that is the problem.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Quite an entertaining match to watch, even with Walsh's bafling inconsistency of ruck interpretations on show.

Higgers' "headbut" can easily be argued away in the same way that Horwill's head stamp against the Lions was (we can be honest now that they've gone - he trollied the shit out of Wyn-Jones). I don't think there was any intention for EOD to eye gouge either, but even the hint of foul play gets picked up and this is no different.

Colby and Burgess were great, Genia was made to look pedestrian by the older bloke. Burgess' passing let off some well-built pressure twice, but two slices of meat to his name erases any issues with that.

Woodward is mercurial isn't he? He pulls off some astounding runs, but then crabs in front of six outside players and chip kicks into touch while red hot on attack. I want to throttle him, I want to hug him. There's no way he'll ever pull on the AB 15 if he keeps pulling those stunts.

Kev's petulance in the press conference was poor. He should have taken a cold shower and had a lie down before spouting off like that.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I find this bloody petty BS insufferable. This CONSTANT holding back of players during the game, the amount of annoying niggle, cheap shots and basic 'stupid stuff' is potentially ruining 1st and 2nd tier rugby. I'm glad the refs are cracking down on it!

Secondly, if you're going to be stupid enough to put your hands on a players face (why you would in the first place, baffles me) then you deserve the repercussions.

Finally, onto Big Kev; the dig at Walsh at the end was unnecessary, however I sympathise with Horwill, considering he gives it his all every game. He is the type of bloke to have in Qld Rugby, irrespective if he is talented or not and irrespective if he plays for the Red Heavies!

Overall, Rebels deserve the win.

Dick Graham = GAWN!!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The rebels were great! Really deserved the win with their exiting play. He reds tried to grind it out and came up
Short. Good call on the red card.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Cyclo I don't think there was enough evidence to call anything. But he did and we found a new way to lose. I'm sure we will see another week of Reds fan calling for the heads of everyone and a few "I told you so" post thrown in for good measure.

btw I said the Reds were crap in 2009. Yes you heard it here first!

Look! The sky is falling.

What Ed did is inexcusable. Stuff him for letting his team mates down.

What I am pissed off about is the delayed response from the TMO and the gutlessness of Walsh not to put him in his place. If you can't call the incident during that play, leave it to the citing commissioner. Walsh needed the balls to say move on and you missed your chance to have your imput. It is a big circus the way the officials have communicated this year.

I recon Higgers did headbutt but I am not interseted in any tit for tat bulldust.

Good on Kev for speaking out. Pass the hat around and raise the money for the pissy little sanction SANZAR will give him.

Good win Rebels.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Walsh watched what he had available to watch, saw nothing definitive prior to the "gouge", but conceded he saw head contact in the scuffle, which he could not be sure was a headbutt by either party, so went with the "gouge", about which the TMO was adamant, so there it lies.
You're adamant it was a headbutt, I'm not so sure.

This is what annoyed me.
Walsh had decided on a penalty to Reds and it wasn't until a replay was shown that the TMO picked up the Ed O offence so he intervened and went back to have a look at it. On the set of replays that ensued, I agree there was no indication of a head butt from higgers.
After Ed had been sent and Woodward was lining up his kick, a different replay was shown. This time it was plainly clear to see that Higgers gave Ed a very deliberate head butt. The fact that the TMO didn't intervention again but did for the other offence is what annoys me. It would've have no bearing on the game mind you but it's just frustrating when stuff like that happens.
Hopefully it will get picked up by the match reviewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I haven't seen the crowd numbers, but having been there a lot over the years and based on what it looked like, I would guess it was between 20k and 25k.

Does anyone know what it actually was?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bn1hNCdIUAArBBD.jpg

Got your nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I haven't seen the crowd numbers, but having been there a lot over the years and based on what it looked like, I would guess it was between 20k and 25k.

The AAP write up on stuff.co.nz says 23,820.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Looked like 3 men and a dog from the TV.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Jones yes Neville no :)

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Neville looks to have gained a starting spot and now he needs to focus on keeping it. I've noticed the scrum had been better over the last month with him starting. Now, like jones this year he needs to make the place his own. Also, some of his ruck work that led to turnovers (one of them started the first try) was really good.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
The Reds lost this game in the 75th minute when Horwill directed Harris to take the penalty kick for goal to tie it up 27-27. To me that reeked of a team trying not to lose, not a team trying to win. At that stage of the game all they needed to do was up the intensity and go for a try. The way the Rebels were defending showed they would give away further penalties defending their line. Thus even if after a period time they were not able to cross the line, there was most probably a good chance of getting a draw in the end from a further penalty as the 80 minute mark approached.

By taking the kick instead, all they did was let the pressure off and bring the ball back to the Red's half, taking the result out of their hands.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I didn't see the game. On the quick bit I have seen of the EdO gouge it looks bad and I am not unhappy with the decision to give him a red card.

On the other hand a lot of people seem to be judging Horwill harshly. He has given the Reds many years of excellent captaincy. One bad night does not undo this. To those saying that he should be less likely to make the Wallabies squad as a result is in my view, bizarre.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Reds lost this game in the 75th minute when Horwill directed Harris to take the penalty kick for goal to tie it up 27-27. To me that reeked of a team trying not to lose, not a team trying to win. At that stage of the game all they needed to do was up the intensity and go for a try. The way the Rebels were defending showed they would give away further penalties defending their line. Thus even if after a period time they were not able to cross the line, there was most probably a good chance of getting a draw in the end from a further penalty as the 80 minute mark approached.

By taking the kick instead, all they did was let the pressure off and bring the ball back to the Red's half, taking the result out of their hands.
yes i thought at the time if they took the line out option the Rebels would have a lot of difficulty defending it. was quite relieved that he took the 3 point option.

Status
Not open for further replies.