• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds V Hurricanes, Round 12, 14 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That came up fast. Will likely end up the highest capped Red at the end of his career.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hurricanes:
15. James Marshall
14. Jason Woodward
13. Matt Proctor
12. Vince Aso
11. Wes Goosen
10. Beauden Barrett
9. TJ Perenara (vc)
8. Blade Thomson
7. Callum Gibbins
6. Brad Shields
5. Michael Fatialofa
4. Vaea Fifita
3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
2. Dane Coles (c)
1. Reg Goodes.

Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Loni Uhila, Ben May, Mark Abbott, Tony Lamborn, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Ngani Laumape, Willis Halaholo

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So the players missing are:

Cory Jane
Julian Savea
Victor Vito
Ardie Savea
Chris Eves
Jamison Gibson-Park

Don't know of injury status on any of these guys (whether out through injury or suspension) but regardless, there is some seriously good players on that list. I think we needed more than 5 to go before we had a chance though sadly.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it if it was.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
No Saveas will definitely help, but I was hoping Barrett and Perenara were amongst the naughty boys. Although I didn't actually expect them to be, doesn't seem to be Barrett's style especially.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Will we keep the same midfield from last week? Stiles and O'Connor have shown a definite preference to maintain consistency in selections where ever possible so I would say yes. It's been widely reported that Goro will come in for Hunt. Hopefully Junior will slot in on the wing in place of CFS, who I would be happy to see drop out of the 23 and someone like Paia-aua come onto the bench. The rest will probably stay much the same you'd think?

EDIT: Mafi will come onto the bench for Saia obviously.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Hurricanes
7:35pm (local), Westpac Stadium, Wellington

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Ben Matwijow
5. Rob Simmons (100th Queensland/Super Rugby cap)
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Ayumu Goromaru

16. Matt Mafi
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Michael Gunn
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia’aua
23. Junior Laloifi

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's not even Greene, as I am happy for Duncan P to be there.

It's that CFS is still there and Beauden Barrett is going to just toy with that lazy lad. At least Junior shows some eagerness.

I hope Jnr plays v the Sunwolves next week. He could light up that game.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah sorry that probably didn't make sense without the context of what was happening inside my head. In my mind, CFS would drop out of the 23 for Duncan to come onto the bench and Junior to start so because Greene is the one that's fallen out of the 23, then CFS has been kept at the expense of Greene.

I'm really happy to see Duncan to get a crack too. Couldn't agree more about Barrett just toying with CFS. I'm really over him.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm disappointed they haven't gone with Laloifi too. Without him the Canes will look at that backline and see two players in Frisby and Nabuli that they will have to keep half an eye on, but none of the rest of the backline is going to waste much time in the game plan tactics discussions.

It's a shame because the back row is looking dangerous in the absence of A Savea and Vito. Tui, Gill and Browning - all have impressed this season.

Strong back row and strong set-piece should mean lots of possession, so I'm predicting we'll see a similar game to last week - 70% possession, no penetration in attack and a pantsing on the scoreboard.

They might as well try a few more of those chip-kicks that got Magnay his try last week, because opposition teams know they can rush us and shut down our attack. Start putting a few more of those chips in (particularly when we have penalty advantage, which is something we totally failed to do last week) and we might expose them behind. We have nothing to lose.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez I hope Magnay improves from last week

CFS is a mind fuck to me ATM and no Greene. Seems like the Reds have only McIntyre in the basket and Greene will surely be gone as soon as a reasonable offer comes up.

Maybe, just maybe this will be the week that McIntyre can shut everybody up. I live in hope

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
So I guess Greene's dropping means he's paying for his mistakes last week?

Duncan P on the bench with no Greene means he's our backup 10 this week as well as 12/13. Given McIntyre's propensity to cramp up there's a very real chance Duncan P will be our flyhalf. Great chance for him to show he's improved since last year.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Some good fortune here for the Reds.

Julian Savea, Ardie Savea, Corey Jane, Chris Eves and Corey Jane all stood down from this match for breaking team protocol.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jeez I hope Magnay improves from last week

That would be awesome because, other than dropping the ball from the kick-off and that misread in defense, he was close to our best.

He was our biggest meter gainer in attack (70 with Hunt's 49 the next).
He had the most metres per carry (10m per carry, with Hunt's 8.17 the next)
He was the only player, along with Gilly, who made a clean break (both did two).
He conceded one turnover but that was less than CFS, Ant, Eto and Pickle and the same as Jake.
He was the only back to win a turn over.

And broader than just stats, his enthusiasm and energy was eye catching especially compared with many of his more experienced team mates in the backline.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That would be awesome because, other than dropping the ball from the kick-off and that misread in defense, he was close to our best.

He was our biggest meter gainer in attack (70 with Hunt's 49 the next).
He had the most metres per carry (10m per carry, with Hunt's 8.17 the next)
He was the only player, along with Gilly, who made a clean break (both did two).
He conceded one turnover but that was less than CFS, Ant, Eto and Pickle and the same as Jake.
He was the only back to win a turn over.

And broader than just stats, his enthusiasm and energy was eye catching especially compared with many of his more experienced team mates in the backline.

One run was about 50.

I must of watched a different game.

I didn't realise he got the Reds MOM

Status
Not open for further replies.