• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Canes. Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
with all due respect the Shaw (well, perhaps not), but you put this yellow card together with the two penalties (that lead to 6 points) against the Tahs and we can put a large chunk of our failure to make the 4 down to him.

Thanks Andy!

Cyril Towers (30)
Bit harsh, Noddy. I don't think you can blame the loss to the Canes on Shaw alone. He was a factor in both those games, but so were others. The real problem with the Reds this year is lack of depth, not problems with one individual. He is still very young for a S14 forward and has some talent. I wouldn't write him off yet.

C

chief

topo said:
Bit harsh, Noddy. I don't think you can blame the loss to the Canes on Shaw alone. He was a factor in both those games, but so were others. The real problem with the Reds this year is lack of depth, not problems with one individual. He is still very young for a S14 forward and has some talent. I wouldn't write him off yet.

He gets two cracks at it, and he screws it up. After Liam Gill's fine performance today, what a better way then to throw him on in preparation for next year.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It was almost like a microcosm of the season for me. A shaky start, then the Red blitz begins...then it all slips out of the fingers. The thing that makes me sad is the possibly of failing to make the finals overshadowing an otherwise amazing turnaround.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Oh, and Higgers looks the goods.

The best support player of all the oz teams at the moment. He kicked the ball back and went to ground at the turnover prior to his try. He was about the 5th closest to the ball prior to the ruck than Genia made the break from, but put himself in the right position to the be closest and best positioned player for Genia to pass to.

He still isn't making the hard yards in the middle, and sometimes has some butter fingers, but his support play is second to none. He would do well following the likes of TPN and Alexander for the Wallabies.

G

Geeves

A disappointing second half that illustrates despite how well the Reds have done this year they still need a couple of key recruits next year to bolster the side.

The backline play and attack when in motion is sublime. The 3 tries in 11 odd minutes was something that has to be revered but from then on they suffered the same problem they had against the Blues and Lions, they switched off and slipped the brain into neutral. When they bombed key opportunities (5m lineout in first half), stopped dominating the breakdown (Braid will be missed), the lack of solid set pieces, and loss of patience in attack played into the Hurricanes hands. There is still significant amount of work to be done but hell when they get it together they are a joy to watch.

Well done to the Hurricanes who turned around the game, got their shit together and played some great attacking rugby of their own. They made their opportunities and took them well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Geeves said:
A disappointing second half that illustrates despite how well the Reds have done this year they still need a couple of key recruits next year to bolster the side.

of which we don't have yet. Our only new players are teenagers.

G

Geeves

Noddy said:
Geeves said:

of which we don't have yet. Our only new players are teenagers.

After their transformation this year and great attacking form I will be surprised if they do not announce someone. At the very least if they are going with newbie recruits, especially in the no. 7 next year. I hope like hell someone gets Crofty down to training to have a solid yarn to the kids. As no matter how good they play in club land, the next level up is a huge step and there has been too many youngsters scarified on their club/school reputation.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well apparently they will sign Guy Shepherdson, which I like and possibly Sitaleki Timani.

Perhaps next year the likes of Higginbottham, Daley, both Faingaas, Davies and Chambers (Simmons would have) will be Wallabies, or at least toured with the Wallabies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Noddy said:
well apparently they will sign Guy Shepherdson, which I like and possibly Sitaleki Timani.

Perhaps next year the likes of Higginbottham, Daley, both Faingaas, Davies and Chambers (Simmons would have) will be Wallabies, or at least toured with the Wallabies.

Reckon he should be on the Tahs' shopping list as well?

Cyril Towers (30)
Nusadan said:
Noddy said:

After seeing a bit of Shep this year (and last), I think buying him is the act of a desperate franchise.

T

TOCC

topo said:
Nusadan said:
Noddy said:

After seeing a bit of Shep this year (and last), I think buying him is the act of a desperate franchise.

unfortunately props are a rare commodity, it takes years of professional development to physically reach the required level. Right now in Australia there just isnt enough, especially considering the thinning of talent with the advent of the Rebels.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, agreed. Shepherdson is one of the few Wallaby test THPs who have mixed it competitively with the opposition. he was 'dropped' from the Wallabies more because his form with the Brumbies rather than form with the Wallabies.

If there was any coach I'd back to get him back doing his business, then its link.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bring back Heenan & MMM :thumb.

I personally would love to see the Reds sign two players of International class I somehow don't think it will be these two for a couple of reasons but I don't think Ezra Taylor really offers a lot & with the loss of Byrnes I'd love to see the Reds pick up two classy lock/ blindside flankers next year along with a prop.

Is Mitch Chapman off contract with the Brumbies? If yes then we should bring him home.

T

tranquility

I don't think that Ezra Taylor is up to it as a Blindside and I certainly don't think he is up to it as a Lock.

The player QLD should be targeting and IS OFF contract, is Tom Hockings from the force. Big (roughly 2m, 110Kg)
physical, intelligent lock. He is studying medicine if I remember correctly and therefore has the mental capacity to run a pretty efficient line-out in the future. ha ha

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He's a bit of a pot plant though. Not great getting around the park.

There won't be a lot of good tall timber coming through recent Qld Schools teams either. Can't remember a decent one since Rob Simmons, except Nick Buchanan, who is playing cricket now.

Status
Not open for further replies.