• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Canes. Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
unfortunately, i was sitting by the computer, waiting to watch the rugby and talk on the feed, then fell asleep after a big week. so i don't know what went on with the game, but im wary of people calling refs bias, considering it happens every week, but i can still understand.

i think a befitting statement on the reds season

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper

though terribly cliched

C

chief

I don't believe for a second that it was a deliberately woeful performance by Lawrence. I think he's plain incompetent.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
reds fans have every right to feel fucked over by this one. the first ten min of the second half was shocking from the ref.

Also their defending was awful at times. Still best attack in the comp and the best time by far in Australia right now. hold your head up high boys

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am very gutted. At first I was angry with Lawrence's bias, now I am just disappointed with the Reds performance, and there inability to score a bonus point try (that still could have given them a shot at the 4).

There was 4-5 crucial moments in the game IMO:

1. Reds letting the Canes score just on half time after looking like scoring themselves. I think if we had gone into the break at 14 points up it would have been a very different second half.

2. Lawrence letting Gear play the ball without releasing the tackler just after half time, and then producing a very very soft (read biased) yellow card. This was a momentum swinging decision.

3. Penalising Ioane for a high tackle that was a complete joke, just after the above instances. It was clear to the Reds from there that the referee was favouring the team from his country.

4. Va'aulu not being able to stop Gear from scoring, despite Gear having to run sideways to pick up the ball. This was inexcusable defense.

5. How on earth does the touch judge miss Higginbotham being held in the scrum, when it was right in front of him?

Overall there were three things that lost this game for us - inability to hold onto the ball (when we did we made breaks almost at will), soft right side defense and incompetant/biased refereeing. I would rate all three of equal importance. Even if we fixed two of the three we would have won that game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PS Va'aulu and Shaw should not get contracts next year. They have been very poor at every opportunity they've got.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In a fantasy world they can still make the finals.

Reds have to get a 5 point win vs the Highlanders

Brumbies have to lose this week, and beat the Saders next week, Tahs have to lose either this week or next week.

Or

Tahs have to lose this week and win next week, while Brumbies win only one or none.

Is it bad form for me to support the Chiefs and Clan today?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scotty said:
PS Va'aulu and Shaw should not get contracts next year. They have been very poor at every opportunity they've got.

Definetly agree about Va'aulu. He's timid as in attack, doesnt seem to have any toe, and while people have said he makes up for it with his defensive game he must've forgotten to pack it.

The real shame was that Davies went off injured. Looked extremely dangerous. Any news about his injury?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Shaw has the same poor discipline as his old man had.

As for the ref: the Canes would have won with any ref. Their 2nd half performance dominated the Reds who couldn't put on the same defensive display as they did against the Stormers.

The Tahs had a similar problem against the Clan, especially in the forwards, and they are a mature team; so we shouldn't be too hard on the young Reds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lee Grant said:
Shaw has the same poor discipline as his old man had.

As for the ref: the Canes would have won with any ref. Their 2nd half performance dominated the Reds who couldn't put on the same defensive display as they did against the Stormers.

The Tahs had a similar problem against the Clan, especially in the forwards, and they are a mature team; so we shouldn't be too hard on the young Reds.

The Canes would have won with any ref, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for his own performance. What happens if he does this in a close fought semi final?

George

Frank Nicholson (4)
:'( Absolutely gutted. Thought it was just my completely Reds bias about the efforts of the ref, glad this forum here to see that the ref was just shit and/or that there are still many true Reds supporters out there. Will believe the latter cos it helps the pain!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watching the game last night, it didn't strike me that the Reds lost in any way due to the reffing. Not that it helped them I'll agree, but I think that the difference between the teams in the second half was so vast, it didn't matter. For me, the warning bell rang when the Reds let the Canes in after the half time siren. They needed to shut that half down.
The yellow card call was harsh, since all the warnings had been against the Canes, and Shaw realised half-way through what was happening and let him down reasonably easily. But very bloody stupid from Shaw to even get in that position - it doesn't happen by accident. The knock on against Hynes was laughable. Even if Sam Scott-Young had reffed the game, the Reds would have lost, unfortunately. I was pissed off - I have really enjoyed watching the Reds this season, and after the first 30 minutes I thought the golden run would continue. I just hope some of their spark carries over to the Wallabies.
Oh, and Higgers looks the goods. :thumb

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
George said:
:'( Absolutely gutted. Thought it was just my completely Reds bias about the efforts of the ref, glad this forum here to see that the ref was just shit and/or that there are still many true Reds supporters out there. Will believe the latter cos it helps the pain!!

All real Aussie rugby fans admire the Reds' performance this season, they have been an absolute revelation. It ain't over yet.

What might have been..............if Horwill had not been injured, and if they had beaten the Tahs. :'(

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
chief said:
Firstly, I would like to address the question of Andrew Shaw being included, he does not deserve a spot in that team. Thanks.

Now to the real bits, my prejudice for Bryce Lawrence may have impacted this match, but something really wasn't right. It was like he was pandering to the Wellington crowd, hopefully Link addresses this.

Despite the probability that the Reds won't make the finals, I was ready for it throughout the season, and a fairly shit draw didn't play to our part either. Let's face it the Reds have played beyond everybody's expectations and they can do themselves proud, and could potentially win it come next year. Reds fans like myself, we have to remember, that we have benefitted Australian Rugby here, and I would label ourselves serious contenders for the Tri-Nations now. Having 3 teams in top half of the Super 14, with the Force having a good end to the season.

So, for us Reds fans, let's look at the positives, and realize, that the Reds have bought Rugby back in QLD, and marvel at the fact, that the Wallabies are true fucking contenders in the Tri-Nations. Here's to next fucken year. And lastly well done to Ewen McKenzie and also Phil Mooney, you selected a team that has the possibility of making the Super 14 next year.

If the Reds players were as sad as their fans then they would not have got as far this year. The Reds are still very mathematical for the finals, even if their fate isn't in their hands. Most importantly, they need to win next week and have the Tahs win as well. The Tahs are in Sydney so that is not far fetched. Of course, the Brumbies and Tahs winning two out of two will scupper them, but that seems unlikely. If I was a Reds fan I'd still be barracking for my team, not talking morosely about next year already.

T

tranquility

Tomiki offered absolutely nothing when he came on. I would rather keep Shaw than him.

On the Hurricanes side, how good is Aaron Cruden? he is the perfect first five for that side.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think we should quit our bitching. Yes we lost, yes I'm gutted and I also thought we didn't get the 50/50 decisions but and it's a huge BUT Look where our side is coming from! we have one game left and it's at home and if we put on enough points and smash the highlanders back to where they come from maybe just maybe our season isn't over yet. We need to turn Lang park into our fortress! And let our players know we are behind them! Just like we did against The Bulls and The Stormers! And no hillbilly Mullet wearing mountain boy is going to stop us!

George

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agreed Sully, wholeheartedly. The flights are booked for next weekend, will be there in Red, loud and proud!! :yay

Thoughts of a huge win over the 'hillbilly Mullet wearing mountain boys' as you so eloquently stated, will pull me out of the disappointment of last night and set forth positive vibes for an awesome week for the boys in Red. and hoping for all other results to fall our way in the meantime ::)

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pencil me into the gutted camp as well. Thought we had the canes on toast at about 38 minutes in. As much as anything the turnovers fucked us in the second half, there was some good go forward then next ruck it would pop out on the canes side.

Have to hope the results go our way, but am a bit pessimistic about that.

Anyhow, its been a bloody good year to be a reds supporter, after the long lean times, wherever they finish. :thumb

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sunnybank 46 (L Gill 3, O Avei 2, D Edwards, S Seiuli R Setu tries, R Kingi 2 cons, L Gill con) d GPS 21 (J Caldeira-Santos, M Garland, B Sexton tries E Tuqiri 2 pens) (Sunnybank retain Caxton Cup)

bugger it. Pick him.

C

chief

Noddy said:
Sunnybank 46 (L Gill 3, O Avei 2, D Edwards, S Seiuli R Setu tries, R Kingi 2 cons, L Gill con) d GPS 21 (J Caldeira-Santos, M Garland, B Sexton tries E Tuqiri 2 pens) (Sunnybank retain Caxton Cup)

bugger it. Pick him.

I went to that game, what a game he had. Fan-fucking tastic. I think Link should pick him for Highlanders game on the Bench. Shaw may as well find his career, and give up on his rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.