• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Brumbies Rnd 16 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Despite the close score line the Brumbies just seemed in control and didn't look like losing.... and then all of a sudden they hit the off switch.

I don't know what Cubelli and Kuridrani were thinking with the unnecessary quick lineout and following no look cut out pass.

Reds deserved that in the end.

I just wish they'd played Moore for the full 80....

Who ended up playing in the centres when Godwin went off? That reinvigorated our attach out wide, at least through that channel it seemed. Smart play and it paid off.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who ended up playing in the centres when Godwin went off? That reinvigorated our attach out wide, at least through that channel it seemed. Smart play and it paid off.

They must have had Alcock out there?

To be fair, better ball skillls than some of our backs...........

Some strange substitutions from the Brumbies too....... A Smith onto the wing for Toua early on.

Sabuulia

Frank Row (1)
The brumbies game management is rubbish - that is the sixth or seventh game lost by seven or less points.

We bombed a try, and a couple of key calls didn't go our way - Tuttle goes dead in goal with his knee before grounding the ball in about the 65th min, should have been a five metre scrum, and the final penalty - no ruck formed therefore tackler is not offside.

All credit to the reds for playing out the game though

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Reg, you have just identified one of the turning points in the game. Butler went into the centres and as would be expected was a fish out of water. His defensive nous was about zero, which is fair given that he has probably never even trained in the backline to learn the patterns etc.

However, the real turning point which forced the situation where Butler had to play out wide was the replacement, for no obvious reason, of Henry Speight. That used up the available backs on the bench so the later injury to Godwin couldn't be adequately covered.

From that moment, Quade absolutely ruled the field and his long, accurate passing game was responsible for good ground gains by the Reds and a few telling line breaks.

Whoever called for Speight's replacement turned an unimpressive win into a last minute loss. Congrats Reds.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sad to say but Bernie Larkham is well on track to be the Aussie version of Sir John Kirwin. A playing legend who was not a coach. The results are diminishing the reputation rapidly.

Time to take a leaf out of Lord Laurie's book and go hang with Cheika.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Brumbies now level on points with Stormers who have a game in hand:

Rd 16 Stormers v Sunwolves (Cape Town)
Rd 17: Brumbies v Chiefs (Hamilton), Stormers v Bulls (Pretoria)

Looks like a Brumbies v Chiefs QF to me (& 'canes travelling to SA which means even if they win there they go out as soon as they get back to Australasia).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am so excited for DP in the future, he was best on park tonight for mine.

I actually think he has one of the best passes since QC (Quade Cooper) was in his prime, he can tackle, he can kick. I think he will be a great 10 when QC (Quade Cooper) eventually leaves.

Perese is an exciting prospect, skills to backup his self belief, I am just worried that his obvious natural skills will be nullified by not having exposure to good coaching, he could be anything in a few years with the right guidance

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We bombed a try, and a couple of key calls didn't go our way - Tuttle goes dead in goal with his knee before grounding the ball in about the 65th min, should have been a five metre scrum,

All credit to the reds for playing out the game though

That is incorrect. Tuttle didn't take the ball into the in goal so his foot going touch in goal is the same result as him grounding it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This year has been the Reds best year since 2014 ;)

This has been your positive (or depressing) Reds fact for the week :)

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night. Interesting conditions - not seen that before at Suncorp

Facebook or Flickr

35785322655_bc85af9e59_z_d.jpg

35744531986_8882c05ecd_z_d.jpg

34975271123_54ea4ba4df_z_d.jpg

35615923902_b68ab20da8_z_d.jpg

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Douglas, Rodda and Simmons were more evident in their influence on the game than Carter and Fardy. Douglas and Rodda were a hugely aggressive combo and Simmons to me had a far higher then usual workrate.
Nothing flash but it wasn't in that department that the Reds struggled. Set piece questionable in parts but those guys were more then holding their own in the carry and in defence keeping the brumbies back.

Arnold was performing highly as usual until subbed.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
He won Reds Man of the Match which might have been a sentimental vote but he was very good. A couple of ropey things in the 3rd quarter I think, but it's the best I've seen him play for a while.

I remember him doing pretty well there for the Wallabies a while back. Wonder why he's never really been used there more.

Status
Not open for further replies.