• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I rate Pat.

But I can't see a spot for him in the Brumbies or the Wobs XV at this stage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
13 would be the spot. Taveta seems to be going ok. Not bad for a guy who couldn't make the Qld CSS squad a few years ago.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where exactly would you play him? Off the bench for Quirk? Even if he was fit, you'd want someone more versatile on the bench.

P

Paradox

It signals they want to go wide which is great. BUT Davies was out of position/made misreads on defence a couple of times last week, I hope that the Brumbies can't exploit that better than the Chiefs.

Yes noticed him rushing up a lot. Mogg to chime in and exploit hopefully :)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both camps have been involved in a PR skirmish today regarding the number of penalties they give away and the need for the other team to be watched closely on Saturday night - here's my article with the details http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/reds-and-brumbies-skirmishes-before-the-battle/
If I have correctly interpreted what you wrote in that article and your previous article about the number of penalties awarded by different referees, it doesn't really auger well for a clean game this week.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Cannot wait for this one.

Fairly even forward packs, in the three groups I'd give the brums a front row edge, reds the edge in the back and second rows. Can't wait to see Gill v Smith, but I'm also looking forward to seeing Lilo vs Tapuai in a less hyped matchup. One of those two should be wearing gold 12 in a few weeks time

I reckon whichever 9/10 combination has the better game pulls of the win. Genia/Cooper have the form but you never know which Quade will rock up, I think the game hinges alot on him.

McKenzie has the Reds running like a well oiled machine again, and I reckon this game has shades of 2011 about it, when the Reds lost big to the Tahs in Sydney before beating them in the return match at Suncorp in rd 10. Same scenario this time round.

Should be a cracker, don't think its too much of a reach to say whoever wins this game wins the title

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think this game will be won at the breakdown. The set piece will be even with the reds better lineout being countered by the brumbies better scrum. This sets up the breakdown (and it's interpretation) as the key to gaining ascendancy. It also sets up a key matchup in the lead up to the Lions tour Wallabies squad, Gill v *Smith. Gill has moved on from being shaded by Hooper as Pocock's deputy, to being the best Australian openside the next year, unless you count the slightly eligible George Smith and it's close. If I had to split them I would say Smith brings more because of his experience but then Gill has youth with it's advantages, it will be interesting to see how they both react to perhaps the biggest game of their seasons.

I'm most intrigued to see To'omua defend Quade Cooper. Both missed out on the "logistics squad" but are both a chance to play the lions. Equally I look forward to Tapui v Lealiifano, maybe a duel for the Wallaby 12 jumper.

Brums by 8.

Reds 'better lineout' ?

They got stuffed in that department in round 1...

Yet another title to be decided!

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Reds 'better lineout' ?

They got stuffed in that department in round 1.

Yet another title to be decided!
Yeah, there's not much in it, you have to respect the fact that Horwill is back and Moore's had a few bad throwing games recently. Things have changed since week 1.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah, there's not much in it, you have to respect the fact that Horwill is back and Moore's had a few bad throwing games recently. Things have changed since week 1.
Moore hasn't thrown badly he was good last week and against the Kings he was on the bench. But Horwill being back and Fardy being out makes a difference, Also Simmions seems to have stopped trying to throw his handbag around and is focusing on playing. So line out is Lets wait and see, remember Mowen is fantastic at the lineout.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
I hope Fardy is back, and I think you will see a front row of 1. Alexander 2.Moore 3.Palmer for the Brumbies. I think you got a bit of a reach to think Lance will ever play Test rugby.

Been a bit late on reading this thread. Not sure what your basing you comment of Jono never playing test rugby on, admittedly I've seen a lot more of Lance's play than most.... but I think it's pretty clear he has all the traits of a test level inside back. Great hands, very good kicking game, great reader of the game, exceptional defender, very good in contact, big heart.... the only thing letting him down is his top-end speed, in saying that he's got good footwork and acceleration. Throw in that he's only played 10 or so super games and he has never played in his preferred positions(10/12... I'm pretty sure he's only played 13 & 15 for reds) I think he's got a heap of potential, he's a very well rounded rugby player. He hasn't missed a beat this year after coming back from 9 months off with a broken ankle/leg. He's the kind of no nonsense bloke I'd like to see running around in Wallaby gold one day.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Been a bit late on reading this thread. Not sure what your basing you comment of Jono never playing test rugby on, admittedly I've seen a lot more of Lance's play than most.. but I think it's pretty clear he has all the traits of a test level inside back. Great hands, very good kicking game, great reader of the game, exceptional defender, very good in contact, big heart.. the only thing letting him down is his top-end speed, in saying that he's got good footwork and acceleration. Throw in that he's only played 10 or so super games and he has never played in his preferred positions(10/12. I'm pretty sure he's only played 13 & 15 for reds) I think he's got a heap of potential, he's a very well rounded rugby player. He hasn't missed a beat this year after coming back from 9 months off with a broken ankle/leg. He's the kind of no nonsense bloke I'd like to see running around in Wallaby gold one day.

Maybe I havent watched as much of Lance as I should have, I will say my comment is from the little I watched and seen I think from that I've probably judged a little quickly the other day. I will retract my comment for the moment and spend more time watching him play before I judge.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe I havent watched as much of Lance as I should have, I will say my comment is from the little I watched and seen I think from that I've probably judged a little quickly the other day. I will retract my comment for the moment and spend more time watching him play before I judge.

I would agree with you if you were saying he wont play test rugby this year.... because he wont. But he could be a very handy player in years to come.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
His role with the Reds is to do all the grunt work. Plays at 15 in attack and 10 in defence and isn't going to get too much ball to show all his skills. From memory he has a good pass both ways, a rare trait in a rugby player these days it seems. He never let's the team down and tackles like a demond. He bounced off a tackle last week and looked filthy with himself. That's the kind of trait you want in your players.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
"An underdog is a person or group in a competition, frequently in electoral politics, sports and creative works, who is popularly expected to lose.[1] The party, team or individual expected to win is called the favorite or top dog. In the case where an underdog wins, the outcome is an upset. These terms are commonly used in sports betting.[original research?] The use of the term is believed to have come from the blood-sport known as bear-baiting where the "top-dog" was trained to attack the bear's throat and head, and the "underdog" was trained to attack the bear's underside. The top-dog had a better chance of surviving and of beating the bear, whereas the underdog was more likely to die."

So the underdog is trained to attack the opponent's nuts. I wonder if teams would be so quick to claim to be the underdog if they knew what the title implied?

Status
Not open for further replies.