• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trouble with the Smith boys is that they have been around for a fair while now and at a few clubs.

I think neither have ever consistently locked down a starting spot at those clubs ?

I stand to be corrected if wrong !

I do feel a bit for Sef. Most other franchises he would be a starter
and ALL players want to start.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Ben Lucas isn't a halfback, he played a handful of games years ago before Genia came on the scene, that was the last time.

I don't disagree but he was apparently playing 9 at some club game a couple of weeks ago... I was attacked for saying he's not very good.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Some players (Tupo for example) would rather play for another club (not the Waratahs) to play for their team (the Reds).

Mate his preference is at the Reds.

But I'd bet you pounds to peanuts if the choice was starting each week somewhere else or riding the pine at the Reds for a number of years I know which one he (and most others) would take

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Trouble with the Smith boys is that they have been around for a fair while now and at a few clubs.

I think neither have ever consistently locked down a starting spot at those clubs ?

Ruan was in the Wallabies conversation based on form just prior to him leaving the Brumbies. He was playing really well. Scrummaging strong and general play really good. Was getting starts finally.

A lot of Brumbies supporters were unimpressed when the kept Benny A and offered him a fairly poor deal and he walked. Big loss at the time.

T

TOCC

I don't disagree but he was apparently playing 9 at some club game a couple of weeks ago. I was attacked for saying he's not very good.

He might have been, but he isn't a halfback at Super Rugby level, last time he played there in Super Rugby was 2010. So back to your comment, it's not a debate about Lucas over Sorovi or McDermott. Ben Lucas has been added to the squad for depth at 10 and 15.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Suck behind Sio, Alexander and AAA at the Brumbies.. Pretty hard too take the start off them although I'd have Ruan over Alexander these days

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

remember back up THP is the second most important spot so not being a starter is not necessarily bad

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
He may not be the most articulate but I'm finding myself pretty impressed by Thorn in the press conferences, he's clearly relishing the role and looks really intent on improving the team and as a coach himself. Also love having Slipper there so they can dive deep on scrum talk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BR - it is my impression JP seems a much improved player now then when he was at the Brums. Would be interested on your view?

Haven't been able to see any games at all this year while traveling through the Great Black Hole state of Victoria, so unfortunately can't comment. From match reports, though, it seems like he is having a terrific impact off the bench, some say adding to the scrum dominance, and is working like a 7 over the ball. IMO they are both extremely handy footballers.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Ruan started a lot with the Brumbies. Was in competition mostly iirc with Raudhri Murphy for the starting spot. He plays a lot like Scott Sio in the open, and commentators often mixed them up in their commentary.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But he made his mark initially in the ARC playing half back.

for what it's worth he made his mark playing 10 for Sunnybank and scoring 35 points in the GF in steering his team to an 80-odd point win. Wallaby coach John Connolly came very close to picking him in the Wallaby squad for the RWC but, in the end, opted for Berrick Barnes instead.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So what’s the next 2 weeks entail for the Contracted Reds who weren’t selected for the South Africa/Argentina tour?

Is there a Reds coach who stays back at Herston and conducts training sessions or do the players just basically do weights sessions & turn out for their respected local clubs?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Reg, I don't doubt that for a moment. Probably, what I meant to convey would have been better expressed as coming to notice of fans outside of Brisbane.

T

TOCC

So what’s the next 2 weeks entail for the Contracted Reds who weren’t selected for the South Africa/Argentina tour?

Is there a Reds coach who stays back at Herston and conducts training sessions or do the players just basically do weights sessions & turn out for their respected local clubs?

Yes there are certainly training programs for those remaining behind, usually run by someone like Jason Gilmore, they also have U20s and WTS players training at Ballymore so there is still a bit going on.

Some may play club rugby, depending on injury status.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ruan was in the Wallabies conversation based on form just prior to him leaving the Brumbies. He was playing really well. Scrummaging strong and general play really good. Was getting starts finally.

A lot of Brumbies supporters were unimpressed when the kept Benny A and offered him a fairly poor deal and he walked. Big loss at the time.

From 2012 (Force) to 2016 (Brumbies ) in Super rugby Ruan got 6 starts only.

He then went to Japan.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
From 2012 (Force) to 2016 (Brumbies ) in Super rugby Ruan got 6 starts only.

He then went to Japan.

Yep. Your correct. He was playing the house down but its the standard Brumbies / Larkham selection policy where performance is less a bearing on selection than having a name / reputation and being over 25yrs old (in Aussie rugby apparently according to Larkham, Kafer and Co until your 25 your too inexperienced - like the whole Reds team atm! :rolleyes:). So towards the end of the season he got a few starts and proved the point but as per the selection policy they went with the name and he walked. Really depleted our stocks and was very very unpopular move (the poor offer and keeping the old surprised a lot of people) as he was seen as the new starter. Same year Lomax left as well.

I hope he gets his chance at the Reds as he served his time at the Brumbies and was genuine starter until he was shafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.