• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
[T]he Reds locking in Smith x 2 + Thor and Slipper looking likely to re sign, Faagase could well be in trouble to remain at Ballymore after the seasons end.

Yeah, I don't know how good the other Smith is, but I really rate Fa'agase he could start at a number of other Super Clubs -- he plays either side of the scrum, he's definitely a guy you would like to have around even if he's a 5th option. One injury and he's got you covered.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
That seems to me to be the thing though - Fa’agase is a good quality prop who should be looking for an opportunity to start. If he is behind Slipper & Thor he will still be getting regular game time and have the opportunity to press for a start. But if he starts getting rotated out of the squad I can understand him looking further afield.

Edit: although while Fa’agase can play both sides I think JP has earned first crack on the LH side if anything happens to Slipper. He has been very good.

T

TOCC

Of note, Ruan Smith and Ben Lucas included in the squad, Luckhan Tui overlooked, he is banned for one more game like Higginbotham, however Higgers was included.

St.George Queensland Reds tour squad
Props
Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland
James Slipper – Bond University
JP Smith - GPS
Ruan Smith - GPS
Taniela Tupou - Brothers

Hookers
Alex Mafi – Bond University
Brandon Paenga-Amosa - Sunnybank
Andrew Ready - Easts

Locks
Kane Douglas - Norths
Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
Izack Rodda - Easts

Back row
Scott Higginbotham - Wests
Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
Caleb Timu - Souths
Liam Wright - Easts

Scrumhalves
Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
James Tuttle - GPS

Flyhalves
Jono Lance – University of Queensland
Hamish Stewart – Bond University

Centres
Chris Feauai-Sautia - Souths
Samu Kerevi - Souths
Duncan Paia’aua - Norths

Outside backs
Filipo Daugunu - Wests
Ben Lucas - Sunnybank
Eto Nabuli - GPS
Aidan Toua – Easts

T

TOCC

That seems to me to be the thing though - Fa’agase is a good quality prop who should be looking for an opportunity to start. If he is behind Slipper & Thor he will still be getting regular game time and have the opportunity to press for a start. But if he starts getting rotated out of the squad I can understand him looking further afield.

Edit: although while Fa’agase can play both sides I think JP has earned first crack on the LH side if anything happens to Slipper. He has been very good.

I feel sorry for Fa'agase, I rate him quite highly as a LHP, but due to his own versatility and the Reds lack of depth at THP, he was chosen to swap sides and play as the reserve THP. He has played THP in the past, but he is a better LHP..

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I feel sorry for Fa'agase, I rate him quite highly as a LHP, but due to his own versatility and the Reds lack of depth at THP, he was chosen to swap sides and play as the reserve LHP. He has played THP in the past, but he is a better LHP..
Yeah - agree. And I am not actually sure the Ruan Smith will jump him in the pecking order anytime soon. Fa’agase has been a very consistent performer.

You never know what is around the corner. 1 injury and he might be back starting.

T

TOCC

I think we will see Ruan onto the bench next weekend, Thorn will want to test his scrummaging in case of an injury to Tupou. At the Brumbies he was the better scrummager of the two twins, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform coming off the bench together.

JP has cemented that reserve LHP position, he has been a fantastic signing.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah - agree. And I am not actually sure the Ruan Smith will jump him in the pecking order anytime soon. Fa’agase has been a very consistent performer.

You never know what is around the corner. 1 injury and he might be back starting.

I think we will see Ruan onto the bench next weekend, Thorn will want to test his scrummaging in case of an injury to Tupou. At the Tahs he was the better scrummager of the two twins, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform coming off the bench together.

I do agree from the sounds of it, Ruan might usurp Fa'agase but I really rate him hopefully the Reds will make it clear they do too, he's an outstanding reserve prop -- could start at more than a few sides, he looks like he's committed to Queensland if they'll keep him, I hope we see Queensland keep him around; if he can hang on a year or two, both Smiths and Slipper are all 28 and will likely be slipping down that list as they get on the wrong side of 30. If Fa'agase wants to look elsewhere and is to get a start somewhere else I'd never begrudge him but he's a very good front rower and honestly would be better for those Wallabies bench spots than fucking Tom Robinson (although I do love that kid).

As for JP he's pushing Slips along for that starting position too, I'm not sure how effective JP would be over the 50-70 minutes.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What is the go with Moses Sorovi? Hasn't been sighted since the trials - I thought he looked pretty useful there and is very quick. Is McDermott that much better?

Also, not sure about our depth in the outside backs while Perese is injured - Nabuli seems to be selected due to the lack of decent options. His lack of urgency off the ball is not good - didn't seem interested in chasing hard the Bulls player last night who broke through right next to him - more like what you would expect from a prop who knows they can't catch the player, but a winger should have been there. Looking at the squad though it appears our other fit outside back options (ignoring Hunt) are Maranta and that is it. What happened to Jooste? He looked pretty good in the trials. I hope that we're not just going for the 'big winger' syndrome where size is preferred over skill and attitude.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think we will see Ruan onto the bench next weekend, Thorn will want to test his scrummaging in case of an injury to Tupou. At the Tahs he was the better scrummager of the two twins, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform coming off the bench together.

Just one comment TOCC. The Smiths were at the Brumbies, not the Tahs. But otherwise, I agree with your assessments.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Just one comment TOCC. The Smiths were at the Brumbies, not the Tahs. But otherwise, I agree with your assessments.
BR - it is my impression JP seems a much improved player now then when he was at the Brums. Would be interested on your view?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
What is the go with Moses Sorovi? Hasn't been sighted since the trials - I thought he looked pretty useful there and is very quick. Is McDermott that much better?
I was a bit surprised that McDermott got the back up role as well, but now that he has I’m happy enough for Thorn to give him a decent crack at it. I figure there is plenty of time for squad rotation over the course of the season, and that is before allowing for injuries. Maybe there is more to it, but I doubt there is much to the continued omission of Sorevi at this time other than that McDermott has the advantage of incumbency at the moment.

Gee our tight 5 stocks are impressive a lot the moment. And, unlike in previous years they are getting the job done around the field as well. Douglas seems to have found his mojo again & Rodda is really stepping up from last year IMO.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

You mean the Brumbies... And Ruan was much better then JP in the scrummaging department and around the ground. JP use too not get much game time or get dished up a fair bit. Both will be fantastic for the Reds

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I was a bit surprised that McDermott got the back up role as well, but now that he has I’m happy enough for Thorn to give him a decent crack at it. I figure there is plenty of time for squad rotation over the course of the season, and that is before allowing for injuries. Maybe there is more to it, but I doubt there is much to the continued omission of Sorevi at this time other than that McDermott has the advantage of incumbency at the moment.

Yeah, I too was surprised to see McDermott starting on the bench. I do think there isn't too much between Sorovi and McDermott. I'd love to be surprised/proven wrong but I'm yet to see any proof that Lucas is any better than either of them (although he's a good deal older).

Gee our tight 5 stocks are impressive a lot the moment. And, unlike in previous years they are getting the job done around the field as well. Douglas seems to have found his mojo again & Rodda is really stepping up from last year IMO.

Mate, I'm surprised we didn't see Angus Blyth taken on tour too, he had moments where he was better than Hockings in the trials. But even beyond that we have Hewat and Gunn both in the back row who have the potential to be quite good too.

T

TOCC

Yeah, I too was surprised to see McDermott starting on the bench. I do think there isn't too much between Sorovi and McDermott. I'd love to be surprised/proven wrong but I'm yet to see any proof that Lucas is any better than either of them (although he's a good deal older).

Ben Lucas isn't a halfback, he played a handful of games years ago before Genia came on the scene, that was the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.