• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Curious to see what happens with Schatz over the next few weeks.

He is one who has really failed to produce anything (amongst a host of others) during RG's reign and I reckon Connelly might be the spark that gets him going.

It would be great to have competition between him and Lolo for the 8 next year.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed - the crop of Schatz and Quirk (and to a lesser extent) Browning have been given a decent chance to prove that they are indispensable. I would not like to see any of those 3 kept at the expense of a Lolo, Gunn or Korcyk. They aforementioned are solid but are not proving to be anything more than honest toilers. Reds need a gamebreaker in the backrow.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't really say there is any indication yet that Korcyk is going to be better than Browning.

These are the sort of tough judgements that have to be made though.

T

Train Without a Station

Unfair to lump Browning in with Quirk and Schatz.

Quirk had 38 caps, Schatz even more and Browning 11. He hasn't even played a full season yet and has showed promise without ever being given a decent opportunity.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Obviously a fair bit of belief in Tuttle. The only rugby I've seen from him are from the recent oz U20 games. He's the deputy to Frisby it would seem. Needs work in his pass.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
2015 will be the Reds worst year ever in just about every measurable.

2016 is looking a lot worse. Signing a bunch of players who aren't in top 23s is not the way forward. Especially with a coach who can't win with more starting internationals than other Aussie sides.

We have re-signed Slipper, Simmons and Frisby plus 8 younger guys. Of those 8 only 1 is in our current best 23.

These may pay off in the long term, but it's going to be rough for a long time yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2015 will be the Reds worst year ever in just about every measurable.

2016 is looking a lot worse. Signing a bunch of players who aren't in top 23s is not the way forward. Especially with a coach who can't win with more starting internationals than other Aussie sides.

We have re-signed Slipper, Simmons and Frisby plus 8 younger guys. Of those 8 only 1 is in our current best 23.

These may pay off in the long term, but it's going to be rough for a long time yet.

gees, you can't win can you. Let the likes of Placid, Butler and Enever go and HQ gets blamed. Don't sign the likes of McMahon, PAO, Tomane, To'omua and they are crucified.

Sign some young future stars and it's still not the answer.

Slipper, Simmons and Frisby

and Hunt, Taulagi, Daley, JOC (James O'Connor) and Talakai.

That's just the ones we know. Not sure who of the remaining squad (who aren't 'younger guys' you want to keep? Holmes they'll be working on. We know they will throw everything at Cooper. Hanson and Gill for sure. Who else?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone keen to compile a list of players contracted for 2016?

as far as I know:
James Slipper - 2018
Sef Faagase - 2018
Michael Gunn - 2018
Adam Korczyk - 2018
Andrew Ready - 2018
James Tuttle - 2018
Karmichael Hunt - 2017
Rob Simmons - 2017
Sam Talakai - 2017
Nick Frisby - 2017
JJ Taulagi - 2017
Careyrn Neville - 2017
Chris Kuridrani - 2017
Ben Daley - 2016
James O'Connor - 2016
Duncan Paia-aua - 2016

Confirmed Leaving:

Will Genia (France)
James Horwill (England)

Un-signed (as far as we know):
James Hanson
Curtis Browning
Dave McDuling
Beau Robinson
Liam Gill
Hendrick Tui
Adam Thomson
Ben Tapuai
Jake Schatz
Quade Cooper
Anthony Fainga'a
Saia Fainga'a
Chris Feauai Sautia
Lachlan Turner
Ed O'Donaghue
Ed Quirk
Greg Holmes
Samu Kerevi
Campbell Magnay

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This is the best I could do quickly. Squad list off the Reds Rugby page so some players I know are missing. Have added Talakai and Tuttle as well.

Browning - off contract
Cooper - off contract
Daley - 2016
A Fainga'a - ???
S Fainga'a - ???
Fakaosilea - off contract
Feauai-Sautia - ???
Frisby - 2017
Genia - Gone
Gill - off contract
Hanson - off contract
Holmes - off contract
Horwill - Gone
Hunt - 2017
Kerevi - 2016
Kuridrani - 2017
Magnay - 2017
McDuling - ???
O'Connor - 2016
O'Donoghue - ???
Paia'aua - 2016
Quirk - ???
Ready - ???
Robinson - ???
Schatz - ???
Simmons - 2016
Slipper - 2016
Talakai - 2016
Tapuai - ???
Taulagi - 2016
Thomson - Gone
Tui - Gone
Turner - off contract
Tuttle - 2018

@RugbyReg, any chance we can get this post made into a sticky one that sits at the top of each page as it will probably be the basis of a lot of discussions moving forward. Keep everyone on the same page and hopefully we can update it as we go along.

EDIT: Or we can use your list too! ;)
EDIT #2: If I didn't know when they were contracted to, I just put 2016.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Out of the unsigned I get the feeling we won't be seeing EOD, Robinson, Quirk, the Faingaas, Turner, CFS and Tapuai in Red again.

T

Train Without a Station

I think it's highly likely a few of the following won't be pursued for 2016 for either injuries and how often they have been available or their form the last couple of seasons:

Dave McDuling
Beau Robinson
Hendrick Tui
Ben Tapuai
Jake Schatz
Anthony Fainga'a
Saia Fainga'a
Ed O'Donaghue
Ed Quirk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Your list is much better Reg. Can we get it on top of each page and try and keep it updated?

I note that Magnay signed on a 3 year deal so should be here until 2017. I also saw on a Reds Media release that Kerevi had been rewarded with his hard work in 2014 and given a 2 year deal with the Reds so I assume that covers 2016?

B

Bobby Sands

Obviously a fair bit of belief in Tuttle. The only rugby I've seen from him are from the recent oz U20 games. He's the deputy to Frisby it would seem. Needs work in his pass.

Good player, good signing. Now we just need to get his brother back from the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.