• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Curtis Browning is far to short to play lock..Reds need another lock in the event of injuries to Neville or Simmons.

Look. I put my hat in the ring to play 10 last year when the Reds were struggling to fill that spot.

I could possibly play 10 at a pinch Sully. I'm a bit slow and a pretty poor defender but so long as we only play right to left my pass shouldn't be a drama.

Now maybe I wasn't being totally serious but this time I am. The Reds need another lock? Well, I'm available is all I'm saying. I'm tall enough, I'm heavy enough and I can sit on the bench like no one's business. Sure, if I'm required to play more than about 5 minutes then there may be a few 'issues' but beggars can't be choosers.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Browning
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. Nabuli
12. Fainga'a
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Paraka
18. Talakai
19. ?
20. Fakaosilea
21. Tuttle
22. Paaiaua
23. Magnay

Injured:
- Slipper
- Douglas
- F'Sautia
- Taulagi

Absent:
- Tui
- Goromaru

Squad:
- Faagase
- Tupou
- Mafi
- Korzyck
- Tui

That bench has next to no experience at all, it's not looking very good

T

TOCC

Yep bench looks inexperienced, which isn't the worst thing in the world. The issue will be when starting players get injured and those inexperienced bench players become inexperienced starting players.

Forward pack looks a little too workmanlike without anyone to get over the advantage line or make dominant tackles.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Strange. Just focussing on the pack, it's only two injuries, but seems to have taken expectations from high to dodgy.

Backs kind of as expected, though Goramaru could add zing.

We still could use an international 10. Add a Super lock. Two key slots.

Reckon we trust our squad for the front row, loosies and backs.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
In past seasons I've been a bit critical about the Reds lack of a blockbusting ball runner in the forward pack and specifically whether Schatz deserves his spot in the starting team due to his overly workmanlike attitude.

I've decided to let that go this season though as I'm pretty confident that the forwards in the squad and their mostly workmanlike attitude on the field should mix well with the back line this year. Its fairly obvious this season, more than others in recent memory, that the Reds are valuing ability to score tries in the backs over a dominant forward pack. They seem to have assembled a team which is capable of doing this.

If the forwards are able to retain quality ball, and on paper at least most of them look to be the type of players who are valued in that area, then I think the backs have a enough spark to wear down an opposition defense or preferably, score some long range trys through Kerevi, Nabuli and Laloifi. It also makes sense for them to sign a high quality goal kicker in the irk of Goromaru as the longer the forwards can keep position there is probably a higher likely hood of getting a kickable penalty.

dru

David Wilson (68)
In past seasons I've been a bit critical about the Reds lack of a blockbusting ball runner in the forward pack and specifically whether Schatz deserves his spot in the starting team due to his overly workmanlike attitude.

I've decided to let that go this season though as I'm pretty confident that the forwards in the squad and their mostly workmanlike attitude on the field should mix well with the back line this year. Its fairly obvious this season, more than others in recent memory, that the Reds are valuing ability to score tries in the backs over a dominant forward pack. They seem to have assembled a team which is capable of doing this.

If the forwards are able to retain quality ball, and on paper at least most of them look to be the type of players who are valued in that area, then I think the backs have a enough spark to wear down an opposition defense or preferably, score some long range trys through Kerevi, Nabuli and Laloifi. It also makes sense for them to sign a high quality goal kicker in the idrk of Goromaru as the longer the forwards can keep position there is probably a higher likely hood of getting a kickable penalty.

Hope you are right. My assessment sees something else. Though long range tries on the counter seems possible. I'm still hoping for a proven 10 although expectations are waning.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I thought the same last year... and we had a Wallaby 9 and 10, Marquee 6, Horwill we now no longer have (not to mention KD and Slipper's injuries)

This year I'm adopting the Mantra - expect the worst hope for the best.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This year I'm adopting the Mantra - expect the worst hope for the best.

It has to be better in 2016, they can't fuck it up again and expect to keep their jobs or not go bankrupt.

I can only think the membership numbers are dire, they are not posting them like they have the last 4 or so years.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It has to be better in 2016, they can't fuck it up again and expect to keep their jobs or not go bankrupt.

I can only think the membership numbers are dire, they are not posting them like they have the last 4 or so years.
Agree to the first part with the exception that it could actually be worse - 0 wins in a season is a record Richard has yet to break so far in his "reign of error".

Regarding the memberships, I don't think any of the franchises are publishing their memberships on their websites at the moment. It may just be a rugby.com.au thing, or it may be a unified directive, or it may be coincidental.

It's a bit of a shame because it's a pretty interesting thing to watch during the off season and I really liked that thread on here that was summarising the numbers year after year. This offseason though, it might seem (for me) a little bit like a perverse curiosity to monitor the figures. I sorta don't want to know how bad it is.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the Rebels are apparently ahead of where they were this time last season, more than 4000 members. probably because of the Aus v Eng test match and access to seats

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

That's their fault by keep RG on charge

the Rebels are apparently ahead of where they were this time last season, more than 4000 members. probably because of the Aus v Eng test match and access to seats

If that's the reason. England must tour Australia every year :p

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So Slips goes under the knife today, so you can start your 6 month countdown. But, I'd imagine if the Reds are tanking he won't be rushing the recovery any time soon!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A key point this year for the Reds is who is the defensive coach? The Reds were pretty easily opened up last year and the year before. If Graham is still in charge of that aspect it'll be a good bet to have them placed in the bottom 3 of the table again.

I think McIntyre has huge potential and will do well if the pack gives him decent ball along with the team as a whole providing options. That is the key in terms of attack, bare the Reds going to provide those options, they certainly haven't over the last few years and when Quade was fit is was all too often a matter of chuck it to Quade he'll do something.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
A key point this year for the Reds is who is the defensive coach? The Reds were pretty easily opened up last year and the year before. If Graham is still in charge of that aspect it'll be a good bet to have them placed in the bottom 3 of the table again.

I think McIntyre has huge potential and will do well if the pack gives him decent ball along with the team as a whole providing options. That is the key in terms of attack, bare the Reds going to provide those options, they certainly haven't over the last few years and when Quade was fit is was all too often a matter of chuck it to Quade he'll do something.
Matt Taylor is defensive coach. Graham might not even need to meet the players.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Matt Taylor is defensive coach. Graham might not even need to meet the players.

If the second sentence is true they would be worth a positive bet this year and a few Reds fans will be much happier.

What happened to that much discussed "review" into the Reds?

Status
Not open for further replies.