• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I was a big advocate of JJ when he was first selected....how my opinion has changed.

He has been absolutely shocking this season.

But you're right, great move for Jonah career wise, but from a Reds and Easts perspective, massive loss.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is James O’Connor a Todd Carney-like risk for Australian rugby?

James O'Connor is a good player but there are others who can do his job – and don't carry the same baggage

It's an open secret James O'Connor will play for the Reds next season. The Reds this week refused to confirm or deny whether O'Connor, who was unceremoniously sacked from the Wallabies last year after a drunken customer service rant at Perth Airport, has agreed to a two-year deal. That refusal is understandable given the Todd Carney 'bubbling' controversy; this week is not the news cycle to announce the signing of an athlete with a track record for dodgy behaviour. Of course, O'Connor's misdemeanors in his time as an Australian Rugby Union employee pale in comparison to Carney's long list of outrageous deeds in the NRL. However, there is a common theme with this pair of troubled athletes – nothing predicts behaviour quite like behaviour. On that score, the ARU, several times bitten by O'Connor, have been quick to rule out a top-up contract.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/jul/03/james-o-connor-australia-rugby-super-rugby

And he goes on, Rajiv Maharaj is having a go at few different units lately

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
James' worst indiscretion is being petulant on a flight while possibly being intoxicated (never confirmed). His rap sheet also includes a food fight and late night burger meal. Shocking stuff really.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
While we're on JOC (James O'Connor), you have to give him some credit. He could very easily have stayed in France on a big money contract. Instead he's chosen, and rumoured, to have signed a two year deal with the Reds. Bill Pulver has so far come out and said there will be no ARU top up, so he'd have to be on way less coin than he could have got over there.

At this early stage it looks like he's taking it seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The 2 year deal is good, I fully expected it to be 1 year old and him to piss off back to Toulon after the RWC. If he has a good year there's no reason he won't get an ARU top up and play another 100 Tests.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
James' worst indiscretion is being petulant on a flight while possibly being intoxicated (never confirmed). His rap sheet also includes a food fight and late night burger meal. Shocking stuff really.

Absolutely.

If Todd Carney had a late night burger incident it would probably be because he drove his car through the front doors of the McDonalds franchise completely paralytic and tried to order drivethru from the poor employee crushed under the front of his car.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
To me his biggest indiscretion was not showing up to a Wallabies function due to sleeping in (hungover?). I think from memory he was ina player leadership position at the time.

If you cant do things right when playing for your country then what hope have you got in the rest of your life.

I don't like him coming to the reds, he is talented for sure and will be great on the field but I think we should go without. He has had enough chances and getting yet another chance sets a poor example to other players coming through.

I hope the reds are up front with fans and tell us that if he plays up he is gone, no more chances just gone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To me his biggest indiscretion was not showing up to a Wallabies function due to sleeping in (hungover?). I think from memory he was ina player leadership position at the time.

That was for the RWC launch (which is a big event not to turn up to).

I don't think he was ever in a Wallaby leadership position.

Really, if that is the biggest indiscretion someone makes we should be pretty grateful in the scheme of things.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s major problem was really just the frequency of being involved in minor incidents and the fact that whenever there was a minor incident, he was almost always involved. It was repetition more than anything in my opinion.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That was for the RWC launch (which is a big event not to turn up to).

I don't think he was ever in a Wallaby leadership position.

Really, if that is the biggest indiscretion someone makes we should be pretty grateful in the scheme of things.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s major problem was really just the frequency of being involved in minor incidents and the fact that whenever there was a minor incident, he was almost always involved. It was repetition more than anything in my opinion.

That and I get the feeling he can be a handfull.

When you're a handful people are less inclined to do you favours, had he been a loveable larrikin maybe things would have been different.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I must say as a Tahs fan, I was against him coming back, but the Reds backline lacked something this year and just maybe ol' Brand my straighten the line up and get them humming again. At least its good to see at least one player coming back from France - that Top 14 comp has an unquentionable appetitie for foreign players. Quite breathtaking really.

T

tranquility

One thing that is awesome about his signing is that he will be the best trainer in the squad. The bloke has a pathological training ethic. Hopefully it rubs off more than it did at his last two Australian clubs.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
JOC (James O'Connor) biggest issue was Robbie Deans. Link has already put him on his place and he knows now who is the real boss.....

I hope the reds have signed JOC (James O'Connor), I reckon the reds will benefit from this and get the best performing JOC (James O'Connor) that we have ever seen.

Genia,copper,turner,taps,kerevi,JOC (James O'Connor),hunt
I would like that back line one day... :)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
JOC (James O'Connor) biggest issue was Robbie Deans. Link has already put him on his place and he knows now who is the real boss...

I hope the reds have signed JOC (James O'Connor), I reckon the reds will benefit from this and get the best performing JOC (James O'Connor) that we have ever seen.

I would like that back line one day. :)

Now that's a back line that could go places. It just needs a forward pack that can frequently put it on the front foot

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The 2 year deal is good, I fully expected it to be 1 year old and him to piss off back to Toulon after the RWC. If he has a good year there's no reason he won't get an ARU top up and play another 100 Tests.

I was surprised at the 2 year deal as well.

Unless the Reds get their shit together for 2015 there will be a few players, only contracted to 2015, who will wait out the RWC, then sign overseas.

Loyalty to one side, players love playing in a successful team and team environment and if that is not forthcoming then the DOLLARS (on offer from European teams) will be taken up. Nowadays players can play overseas for a year or 2 and still return to Australia and continue playing (as opposed to the old days when players were virtually finished and then took the easy bucks for a year or 2)

The big boys at Ballymore hold our trust.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) biggest issue was Robbie Deans. Link has already put him on his place and he knows now who is the real boss...

I would like that back line one day. :)

I thought the issue was JOC (James O'Connor)'s ability to be the agent provocateur. He would create mischief, egg on the cohorts and piss off just before the shit hit the fan.

One of his key skills was not getting caught

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought the issue was JOC (James O'Connor)'s ability to be the agent provocateur. He would create mischief, egg on the cohorts and piss off just before the shit hit the fan.

One of his key skills was not getting caught

Sorry but that's dog shit,
So your saying JOC (James O'Connor) didn't like vuna and told Beale to take his shirt off prance around like a king and punch him.

Beale has been as much of nusence as JOC (James O'Connor). Beale has turned himself around and as a tahs fans I'm postitive you are happy with that. But I guess you have forgtton about all crap things he has in the PAST because He has changed and playing well for tahs and wallabies.

Lets see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes if he dose come back to super rugby and see if he has really changed before letting loose of him. If he hasn't fire away and I will join in then...

Also he did get caught out being a cock and lost his job Thanks to link taking action unlike Deans

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sorry but that's dog shit,
So your saying JOC (James O'Connor) didn't like vuna and told Beale to take his shirt off prance around like a king and punch him.

Beale has been as much of nusence as JOC (James O'Connor). Beale has turned himself around and as a tahs fans I'm postitive you are happy with that. But I guess you have forgtton about all crap things he has in the PAST because He has changed and playing well for tahs and wallabies.

Lets see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes if he dose come back to super rugby and see if he has really changed before letting loose of him. If he hasn't fire away and I will join in then.

There was an article on the issue, but I can't find it. And it wasn't about those issues, it was about many, many other smaller moments of f*ckwittery.

Look, I hope he has sorted himself out, but of the "three" he is the one who has provided only platitudes so far, not contrition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Of the 4 Muppetteers, two seem to have turned things around more or less permanently. One is plying his trade overseas, most likely never to return to Gold or Super Rugby. One is about to return from his time overseas, and there are many sceptics who do not think that there has been any turnaround in attitude.

Was it all Dingo's fault? I think it is a rather long bow to sheet home all the blame to him. He certainly contributed, but why didn't other precocious talent like Lachie Turner end up in joining the Muppetteers? His star shone under the Regime of the Dingo.

I hope QC (Quade Cooper) can take Bieberboy under his wing and show him how to behave. His behavioural turnaround has been very impressive and is a credit to him, his family, and the Reds management and culture. If only the NZ bogan element would recognise that and give up on their booing campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.