• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Nothing wrong with him boxing, it's not like Snowboarding where the risk of a injury is higher.. Boxing is a core component of most professional sporting teams fitness training already..

Plenty of players are boxing in the offseason and there hasn't been a single injury from those fights.

I wouldn't ridicule his boxing skills too much, I watched his last fight and he has a solid foundation, with fast hands, good balance and agility.. he could become a quality fighter in the longer term, would need to drop a weight class though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Quade did an interview not that long ago saying the boxing gives him a focus during summer and he works really hard at it. His bout was going to be a big thing telecast on Channel 9 as part of that fight night thing.

Can understand why he is disappointed, not sure the extent of the injury but young blokes are all invincible. It is a massive year for him though, probably for the best.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Understand why he would be disappointed - probably lost about $200,000 (think he got about $150-$180K for first one.

The Reds need Quade to be at his best this year. It may be his last in rugby (hopefully not).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Boxing is a 'classic' sport in that it combines fitness, strength, agility and toughness but doesn't require a specific set of skills that take years of training just doing that sport to master (like say snowboarding).

It's a natural sport for athletes from other disciplines to be able to compete in.

SBW and Quade are really just leveraging off their popularity when entering the ring. Their fights are about them more than about the contest. They're expected to win and it's all part of the show. They're not trying to line up fights with a well known boxer who is likely to beat them. If they're ever likely to have a proper crack at being a professional boxer (and working towards a world title etc. I'd imagine it will be after their football careers are finished).

These fights are the perfect things for a promoter to have on the undercard of a world title fight because people are actually interested and there is hype around them rather than just watching two no name boxers fighting.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Boxing is a 'classic' sport in that it combines fitness, strength, agility and toughness but doesn't require a specific set of skills that take years of training just doing that sport to master (like say snowboarding).

It's a natural sport for athletes from other disciplines to be able to compete in.

SBW and Quade are really just leveraging off their popularity when entering the ring. Their fights are about them more than about the contest. They're expected to win and it's all part of the show. They're not trying to line up fights with a well known boxer who is likely to beat them. If they're ever likely to have a proper crack at being a professional boxer (and working towards a world title etc. I'd imagine it will be after their football careers are finished).

These fights are the perfect things for a promoter to have on the undercard of a world title fight because people are actually interested and there is hype around them rather than just watching two no name boxers fighting.

I agree with your comment:
"Their fights are about them..."

I disagree with your first sentence. If SBW or QC (Quade Cooper) come up against an EXPERIENCED fighter they will get fucking belted

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with your comment:
"Their fights are about them."

I disagree with your first sentence. If SBW or QC (Quade Cooper) come up against an EXPERIENCED fighter they will get fucking belted

That's not what I was referring to. I was saying that is the reason why sportspeople like to dabble in boxing rather than say Quade Cooper participating in a summer skateboarding competition or an exhibition tennis match.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's not what I was referring to. I was saying that is the reason why sportspeople like to dabble in boxing rather than say Quade Cooper participating in a summer skateboarding competition or an exhibition tennis match.

I'd be quite happy if a heap of the Tahs boys were having a crack just not our bloke

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds have told Quade he won't be able to fight later this month alongside SBW and Messam due to an elbow injury which is impeding his boxing training.. He is apparently less then happy

Is he "less than happy" that he has been told that he won't be able to fight, or is he "less than happy" that he has an injury that will stop him from fighting?

T

TOCC

Of course SBW and QC (Quade Cooper) would lose against a professional boxer, both players only dabble in boxing in their off-season and focus their whole S&C program towards rugby rather then boxing.

Quade is also placed well above his suited weight class, but thats because they are carrying extra weight due to their rugby union playing requirements. SBW is likely stuck in the heavyweight class though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Of course SBW and QC (Quade Cooper) would lose against a professional boxer, both players only dabble in boxing in their off-season and focus their whole S&C program towards rugby rather then boxing.

Quade is also placed well above his suited weight class, but thats because they are carrying extra weight due to their rugby union playing requirements. SBW is likely stuck in the heavyweight class though.

TOCC - are you serious? That is, that they dabble

I must be a wee bit cynical: I reckon its all about the $$$$$$$.

If not, give the money to charity or back to their franchises - yeah right !!!!

T

TOCC

Scrubber I'm not what your point is?

You're the only person to mention the money, who are you debating with?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
By all accounts the proceeds from the fight will be going to charity

And I reckon you're under rating the opponents. Williams is fighting Chauncy Welliver. He's had 70 pro fights. Not going to challenge for any world championship but that's plenty of experience

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Anyway.. Got to see the end of this morning's forwards session at Ballymore. Scrum session. Greg Holmes fully involved.
That's great news. He's going to have to be good this year for the Reds to use that back line. With Holmes in good shape, the Reds at $18 (betfair) are good value going into the season.

T

TOCC

I thought someone said he doing some scrummaging training at the end of last year as well, so sounds like his shoulder is a lot better then first thought

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good to see them throwing Thor right into it, I think I read something a while ago from slipper where he credited packing down against Holmes and being tooled up when he first showed up at the reds with much of his scrum development.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
TOCC - are you serious? That is, that they dabble

I must be a wee bit cynical: I reckon its all about the $$$$$$$.

If not, give the money to charity or back to their franchises - yeah right !!!!

I'm pretty sure past fight takings went to charities.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure past fight takings went to charities.

I think the profits from the Pay-per-view have gone to charity in the past. As far as I know both SBW and Cooper have been paid for previous fights.

SBW has earned a substantial amount from his boxing fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.