• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Maybe the Reds could go retro with the GloWeave "Body Shirt" from the 60's , if you believed the ads .. the shirt coupled with flares and a liberal dousing of Brut 33 was said to prove irresistible to the ladies .

It was a good shirt in the early 60's but Old Spice was the go as the aftershave - and you'd put the Trini Lopez or Buddy Holly records, which the girls seemed to like, on the record player and feed them an Indian curry on rice that they had to wash down with a lot of chilled white wine to cool the throat.

"More curry, Doreen?"

Of course when The Pill came out you didn't have to worry about any of that stuff - for the first time the female pack was on the hunt.

Ah the later 60s - and the hippie girls in San Francisco - a young bloke wasn't safe.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
After a shithouuse 2014 season, a heap of criticism of RG, players not performing to expectation, of the Administration ( and Jim Carmichael), the Reds certainly seemed to have lined up the ducks.

New signings of Thompson, JOC (James O'Connor) and Karmichael are terrific. Horwill's last year in Red.

It looks extremely positive to me and I cannot wait until the Super season.

Here come the Reds

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Team looks good if not fantastic

Big Kev has shown his hand and leaves at end of this season.

Leadership now may be a consideration. Does Kev stay as captain or does a new era start this year? There seems to be a pretty good leadership group in place anyway.

Suppose the natural captains to be considered would be Quade, Will Genia, Slipper and Gilly.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Team looks good if not fantastic

Big Kev has shown his hand and leaves at end of this season.

Leadership now may be a consideration. Does Kev stay as captain or does a new era start this year? There seems to be a pretty good leadership group in place anyway.

Suppose the natural captains to be considered would be Quade, Will Genia, Slipper and Gilly.

I doubt it'll be Genia considering he's apparently close to a deal with an overseas team, which is why people are suggesting Horwill should lose it. I also doubt it will be Quade because his tenure is less than certain after this year as well. I don't think the administration will want to give the long term captaincy to a player who has the propensity to use marketing leverage to negotiate a deal by threatening to switch codes or move to another franchise. I also doubt that the captaincy will be given to a prop as that can be a massive liability if they are having a tough day at the office or the ref is seeing things a different way to the prop/captain.

My tip is Horwill will keep the captaincy for the year. IMHO this is the best move because there are young players in the team such as Browning and McDuling who have shown their captaincy competency but haven't yet nailed a regular spot on the playing roster. Gill is also an obvious candidate. By leaving it for a year I think the Reds can make a much better informed decision.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I doubt it'll be Genia considering he's apparently close to a deal with an overseas team, which is why people are suggesting Horwill should lose it. I also doubt it will be Quade because his tenure is less than certain after this year as well. I don't think the administration will want to give the long term captaincy to a player who has the propensity to use marketing leverage to negotiate a deal by threatening to switch codes or move to another franchise. I also doubt that the captaincy will be given to a prop as that can be a massive liability if they are having a tough day at the office or the ref is seeing things a different way to the prop/captain.

My tip is Horwill will keep the captaincy for the year. IMHO this is the best move because there are young players in the team such as Browning and McDuling who have shown their captaincy competency but haven't yet nailed a regular spot on the playing roster. Gill is also an obvious candidate. By leaving it for a year I think the Reds can make a much better informed decision.

As said Browning and McDuling haven't even locked down a regular starting spot and I doubt either of them will do so in 2015.

Maybe Horwill is the best option : Status Quo and all of that. At years end the future of both Genia, Cooper, Slipper and Gill will be known - I think all are up for signing. hopefully at the Reds

T

TOCC

Horwill is the captain, just because it's his last season or last game isn't cause to hand the captaincy to someone else.. .

Slipper, Quade and Will have all had experience in the captaincy role, so if Horwill is injured then I imagine one of these will fill in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Players heading to Europe in their 30's is a form of retirement..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Players heading to Europe in their 30's is a form of retirement..

Suppose it is - certainly his best football seems to be behind him. It'll be interesting to see if RG picks him every week or takes an opportunity to "blood" another player.

Obviously if James is playing very well and the team is winning then the above option goes straight out the window.

It looks like an interesting season coming up.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not sure his best is behind him. It takes a long time to fully recover from some injuries. I'm not saying it's certain but it's a possibility.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a firm believer in the best captain is the one available right now. In Horwill's last year they will follow him anywhere.

This is totally true but they don't have to do it with a big C next to his name. This year has to be the year the next captain has to stamp his mark on the team and the teams culture. Horwill will always be a big asset and his experience isn't lost in any leadership group but we need to be bridging into a future without him.

T

TOCC

Bridging what exactly?
If a player isn't ready to step into the captaincy shoes in 2016 then why should he be promoted to captain in 2015?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see Cooper elevated to the captaincy. He has a trend of responding well to responsibility, has formed and demonstrated a mature attitude in the public arena and what I like most is that while he has done this he still has shown the potential to be bold on the field. A bold approach suits our roster on paper. He is also the most marketable player in the squad. His position on the field is close enough to the action and the ref but distanced enough to see the paripheral aspects of the game.

Others in the starting 15 have the makings of a good captain but their positions put them at a disadvantage in the course of a game. Slipper for example would be an excellent captain but what happens if he is getting reamed by the ref at scrum time? I can only imagine it being difficult for him to form a dialogue with the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.