• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I've got a gut feeling todays news will be positive. It will be a player re-signing or some new grassroots initiative.

Expecting something like the latter (especially if it is via Twitter). Everytime a big forthcoming accouncement is announced it is usually a small announcement about something most people know about that has been repackaged. Or is it that just the ARU's way of doing things?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My guess is it will be record membership. Lets hope it's something a little more interesting though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would love the Reds to play CFS at 13 in 2014. I think he's the future and he's show that he has the skills to be there, just needs some consistent time in the jersey.

Also with Lance gone I think they'll try to keep Harris. He can play the same role if required.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/horwill-resigns-with-reds-and-aru-20130506-2j26r.html

Wallabies captain James Horwill has signed a new two-year deal with the Queensland Reds and Australian Rugby Union taking him through to the 2015 World Cup.
The 35-Test second-rower agreed to terms with the Reds earlier in the season but it's understood he finalised his deal with the ARU in the past week.

Hardly a 'major announcement' (if this is it, as the QRU tweeted last night) when Horwill himself has previously said in effect he'd never play for anyone but QLD/Reds!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hardly a 'major announcement' (if this is it, as the QRU tweeted last night) when Horwill himself has previously said in effect he'd never play for anyone but QLD/Reds!

Yeah, you'd think that the Reds having a press conference and billing it as a big announcement doesn't align with this story.

A player (albeit the Wallaby captain) who has already signed with the Reds agreeing to terms with the ARU is hardly big news.

It's still worth posting in the Reds 2014 thread though!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I was stridently hoping the 'major announcement' was a brilliant external signing to revitalise elements of our back line which is so clearly needed, not only as a result of DI's departure.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
SBW would be good but I'd much prefer JOC (James O'Connor). He's looking more and more like Tim Horan when I watch him running with the ball.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Kev's the man, good to see him displaying loyalty. It should probably be noted though that the horwill family is loaded, and it's well know in most private school circles that Kev doesn't play footy for the money, he doesn't need to because of his father's and uncle's business interests which will be his when he retires. Thus there is no financial motivation for him to play anywhere other than the reds where he's happy as can be.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Which is not to say that he might act differently if he didn't have family money, I personally believe he'd be the same. Just an observation

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, you'd think that the Reds having a press conference and billing it as a big announcement doesn't align with this story.

A player (albeit the Wallaby captain) who has already signed with the Reds agreeing to terms with the ARU is hardly big news.

It's still worth posting in the Reds 2014 thread though!
It is big news considering the recent players leaving. I think that is the focus they are wanting - not all the players are leaving.

*edit* and a non Waratah player coming to terms with the ARU with a minimum of fuss is MASSIVE news actually.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Can't really see us getting SBW, but the drawcard for him is playing with his mate Quade.

I can see us getting JOC (James O'Connor) but. He too gets to play with his mate Quade, but he is also a brisbane boy.

hmm.. Is Quade a drawcard? maybe he isn't such a bad bloke?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Shall we pass the hat around for James O'Connors 3rd party top-up from the GAGR reds brigade?

If he signs with the Reds i'm willing to provide sponsorship in the form of free hair cuts. I'm not a hairdresser but I doubt I could do much worse that what he currently has.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Graham said as far as he was aware JOC (James O'Connor) is happy in Melbourne and there are no plans to get him. So we can expect an announcement in 2 weeks.

T

tranquility

It would be interesting too see what Rex Tapuai offers at this level. Some people who have watched him at club level far more than I, believe he is past it. However with the lack of depth is quality 13s in QLD (how is that even possible?) it would be good to see him get a run at-least at 'A' level.

Status
Not open for further replies.