• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Kings will be playing in Super Rugby next year in place of the Lions. That is guaranteed. I suspect the playoff thing won't be too big of an issue in the future as I think the SARU find themselves in over this issue will lead to preemptive calls from groups from within to push through another expansion of Super Rugby.

Off topic, seeing as this is a Reds 2013 thread, but I think the only way the Kings will be guaranteed a spot in next years Super Rugby is if they finish higher than last on their conference ladder. Otherwise, a playoff against the Lions beckons. And I can't see the Kings finishing higher than the Stormers, Bulls, Shorks or Cheetahs.

But I digress..

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think having the Kings in the SA Conference means there is a pretty good chance of an SA team finishing top of the log (ala 2011). A Guaranteed 10 points and a chance to improve your for and against.

Mark my word it's gonna be a blood bath. At least the Rebels had some decent players in their inaugural squad. Luke Watson and Andries Strauss are the only proven players im familiar with. Sure there'll be some no name talents unearthed for sure but its not goign to help them win games. They're going to make the Lions 2012 look like the Crusaders

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If a 16th team is to be introduced it will not be from South Africa as they are struggling currently to have all their current teams competitive, i would suggest it would most likely be an Argentinian team

That should be how it ideally would go but it isn't necessarily how it will end up. The point of the Kings was to introduce more black and coloured players to Super Rugby. The SARU would likely have it in their long terms interests to try and keep the Kings in Super Rugby long term under any means necessary.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Off topic, seeing as this is a Reds 2013 thread, but I think the only way the Kings will be guaranteed a spot in next years Super Rugby is if they finish higher than last on their conference ladder. Otherwise, a playoff against the Lions beckons. And I can't see the Kings finishing higher than the Stormers, Bulls, Shorks or Cheetahs.

But I digress..

They're no chance.

Now let's get back on topic and the Reds.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No by the SARU and SANZAR. Confirmed it months back now forcing the the Lions to look for alternative competitive options and tours which they confirmed only a couple of months backs.

Are you guaranteeing that? How much you wanna bet?

SANZAR have no dog in the fight, for a start.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Are you guaranteeing that? How much you wanna bet?

SANZAR have no dog in the fight, for a start.

I'm not getting into this with you. The Lions have already resigned themselves and confirmed their tours for next season. The SARU have confirmed the Kings. What else is there to say?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are you guys confusing definitions of next season? One of you seems to be talking about 2013 and one about 2014.

The Lions are out for 2013 but get to play a playoff against the last placed South African franchise after the 2013 rugby season.

I believe the Lions are playing Russia in a couple of days time to kick off their 2013 season.

Lions' fixture list for 2013 (which includes Lions Challenge matches and excludes Currie Cup games):
19 January: Lions v Russia - Ellis Park, Johannesburg
23 January: Lions v Cheetahs - Ellis Park
2 February: Lions v Bulls - Orlando Stadium, Soweto
9 February: Lions v Kings - Ellis Park
23 February: Namibia v Lions - Windhoek
16 March: Lions v Mont de Marsan - Ellis Park
13 April: US Invitational v Lions - Ervine, California
20 April: US Invitational v Lions - Vancouver, Canada
27 April: Chicago Lions v Lions - Chicago
11 May: Lions v Agen - Ellis Park
1 June: Lions v Samoa - Ellis Park
8 June: Lions v French Barbarians - Ellis Park
15 June: Lions v Stormers - Ellis Park
21 June: Lions v Sharks - Ellis Park
12 July: Lions v Montpellier - Ellis Park
20 July: Lions v Grenoble - Ellis Park
27 July: Super Rugy promotion/relegation first leg - TBA
3 August: Super Rugby promotion/relegation - Ellis Park

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think having the Kings in the SA Conference means there is a pretty good chance of an SA team finishing top of the log (ala 2011). A Guaranteed 10 points and a chance to improve your for and against.

Mark my word it's gonna be a blood bath. At least the Rebels had some decent players in their inaugural squad. Luke Watson and Andries Strauss are the only proven players im familiar with. Sure there'll be some no name talents unearthed for sure but its not goign to help them win games. They're going to make the Lions 2012 look like the Crusaders

They've got the very impressive Argie scrummie who set up that awesome try against the ABs and a solid French hooker from Toulouse.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The new gym does look pretty flash from the pic's I've seen so far. What's going to happen to the old one?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Are you guys confusing definitions of next season? One of you seems to be talking about 2013 and one about 2014.

The Lions are out for 2013 but get to play a playoff against the last placed South African franchise after the 2013 rugby season.

I believe the Lions are playing Russia in a couple of days time to kick off their 2013 season.

Lions' fixture list for 2013 (which includes Lions Challenge matches and excludes Currie Cup games):
19 January: Lions v Russia - Ellis Park, Johannesburg
23 January: Lions v Cheetahs - Ellis Park
2 February: Lions v Bulls - Orlando Stadium, Soweto
9 February: Lions v Kings - Ellis Park
23 February: Namibia v Lions - Windhoek
16 March: Lions v Mont de Marsan - Ellis Park
13 April: US Invitational v Lions - Ervine, California
20 April: US Invitational v Lions - Vancouver, Canada
27 April: Chicago Lions v Lions - Chicago
11 May: Lions v Agen - Ellis Park
1 June: Lions v Samoa - Ellis Park
8 June: Lions v French Barbarians - Ellis Park
15 June: Lions v Stormers - Ellis Park
21 June: Lions v Sharks - Ellis Park
12 July: Lions v Montpellier - Ellis Park
20 July: Lions v Grenoble - Ellis Park
27 July: Super Rugy promotion/relegation first leg - TBA
3 August: Super Rugby promotion/relegation - Ellis Park

Yeah, I think Kiap thinking 2014 and I'm talking about the up coming season.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How much are you paying to attend that fancy university, again?
Maybe. But are the Kings even guaranteed to be in Super Rugby next year?

If they have to play off to stay up, it will affect long term signings.
The Kings will be playing in Super Rugby next year in place of the Lions. That is guaranteed. I suspect the playoff thing won't be too big of an issue in the future as I think the SARU find themselves in over this issue will lead to preemptive calls from groups from within to push through another expansion of Super Rugby.

T

TOCC

get's plenty of use by the ARU Academy, Roar and (other) QRU staff.

So the Reds train in the new gym, and everyone else trains in the old gym?

The Roar train there, I find that somewhat hard to believe, i don't remember seeing a yoga space when i was there last?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
i just hope the Reds don't get too muscle bound - look what happened to the Waratahs - they lost their ability to run.

T

TOCC

the have the same S&C and training staff as last year so i don think anything is going to change, the old gym was getting on a bit with age anyway.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds 2013 Corporate Brochure, all pretty standard stuff really.

Reds Indigenous Program:
One point which is interesting which has seen big growth is the Reds Indigenous Program, we all remember the special edition indigenous jersey worn in 2012, well the program has now received the backing of a "multinational corporation" on a 3 year deal to be announced early 2013, this is from the QRU:

No doubt Jim Carmichael has played a big part in this, the AFL has historically been very active in the indigenous communities which allowed them to tap into extra funding and corporate support.
I really liked the indigenous jerseys, it is not often that a 'special cause" jersey looks great, they generally look like a new design was just stuck onto another jersey, but the reds one looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.