• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Reds, 27 June @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not when the coach is consistently average, for the very reason you suggest. Graham needs to man up, and make some ballsy decisions.

Absolutely, the rebels playing Debreczeni at fullback is exactly the sort of thing we should be doing. Hopefully the fact that he's not trying anyone new as a backup halfback, 5/8 or fullback means we've got Lucas signed for next year, otherwise this is a real missed opportunity to have a look at some else from the eps/wts as a sub.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Sounds like there is at least one good reason to play Rugby at Etihad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is NEVER a good reason to play at Etihad. PERIOD!

Higher winds means they will just run more (or should run more). This is what people want to see and it's what stores tries.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How long's Taps been in red? Four years? And the powers-that-be STILL can't work out his best position. Along with a stack of other young talented backs. "He's so good we have to sign him up before he leaves school". And then work out where to play him. WTF's going on at Ballymore?

This Queensland uber alles attitude really needs some examination. There've been a stack of players move north from New South Wales in the modern period (Foley, Latham, Turner, McDuling, Robinson et al) to get an opportunity but the most significant one's been the successful coach, Link. Born in Melbourne, played for Scotch before moving to Sydney, Randwick, the Tahs and finishing up at the Brumbies. Coached at the Wallabies, Tahs and Brumbies in Oz. Nothing to do with Queensland. The Reds' brains trust should take a wider view of what's needed to put a competitive squad together, exactly the same as they did with the coaching appointment in 2009.

T

Train Without a Station

Because ignoring your backyard has previously worked so well for the Waratahs?

You should always favour home grown players. It's easiest to build a squad under a salary cap when they want to be where the team is. They will always stay for a little less.

You shouldn't ignore other talent at the expense of locals though. The Reds don't when good recruits have come up, they have recruited them.

Not sure what your point is Lindommer. I struggle to think of players that haven't performed that we have recruited or promoted over better options that were available on the market and actually looking at other options.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree with Lindo and respect his comments generally. It's just as a reds fan I think we're wired in such a way that it galls us when we start getting advice from a Tahs fan as soon as they start going well irrespective of how good the advice is. ;)
Anyway, that being said, this is a match thread.

Reds by 12. So pumped for this for many non-rugby related reasons and all of the usual rugby related reasons as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think we ever ignored our own backyard. Its just that we took too many players from the Bully Boy Sydney Uni side of it while ignoring the talent elsewhere e.g. George Smith, Gregan, Latham.

I really disagree about George Smith. It was just a timing thing.

If Phil Waugh was a year younger and George Smith a year older, Smith would have been the Waratah in my opinion.

Likewise, if we didn't have Matt Burke, Latham would have probably stayed.

T

Train Without a Station

More a matter or prioritising the talent though BH. Both those cases you mentioned I wouldn't consider to be Waratah blunders though in their defence. Fairly equal talents. I would have favoured Burke too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So... is anyone heading down early to watch the Colts GF? I was going to, but with the weather the way it is, I'm not so sure now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
More a matter or prioritising the talent though BH. Both those cases you mentioned I wouldn't consider to be Waratah blunders though in their defence. Fairly equal talents. I would have favoured Burke too.

I agree. I don't think the Tahs made mistakes at all in those situations.

Whilst Smith was obviously a bit better than Waugh, Waugh is one of the greatest Tahs ever and a huge part of the club for a long time.

Gregan was always going to be a Brumby as well. I don't think the Tahs were ever an option.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
So. is anyone heading down early to watch the Colts GF? I was going to, but with the weather the way it is, I'm not so sure now.

Nope, i'm afraid the weather might muck up my hair (for those who know me i have married hair loss syndrome). Going to some quality assurance on the amber ales over at the PO Hotel.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How long's Taps been in red? Four years? And the powers-that-be STILL can't work out his best position. Along with a stack of other young talented backs. "He's so good we have to sign him up before he leaves school". And then work out where to play him. WTF's going on at Ballymore?

This Queensland uber alles attitude really needs some examination. There've been a stack of players move north from New South Wales in the modern period (Foley, Latham, Turner, McDuling, Robinson et al) to get an opportunity but the most significant one's been the successful coach, Link. Born in Melbourne, played for Scotch before moving to Sydney, Randwick, the Tahs and finishing up at the Brumbies. Coached at the Wallabies, Tahs and Brumbies in Oz. Nothing to do with Queensland. The Reds' brains trust should take a wider view of what's needed to put a competitive squad together, exactly the same as they did with the coaching appointment in 2009.

Taps has been at the Reds since school - so from 2008 (I think)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scoey, my attitude about the other Australian Super sides hasn't changed one bit since the Tahs started going well. I'd like ALL the Oz teams to be playing well, belting the Saffer and Kiwi teams and winning most of their home matches. Five Oz teams in the finals would be nirvana for me (obviously with a Tahs victory!). The facts of Australian rugby are the Tahs and Reds will always have the biggest numbers to draw from, they should be the leading Australian pool most years. If these two aren't pulling their weight and doing well the Wallabies, and Australian rugby, suffer(s).

My thoughts on all the talented young backs the Reds have at their disposal who continue to disappoint (that's if they're not injured) has been expanded earlier elsewhere. I've also discussed this in person with suckerforred over a few beers in a pub a coupla months ago; it's not something I've either made up yesterday or shirked bringing up with Reds supporters personally. The selection of players to join the Reds squad the last five or six years, especially the backs, leaves a lot to be desired.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
In the spirit of your sermon o' Reverend Daz i'll be sure to make my sacrament. My sacrament will be in the amber form, and if we win probably a lot of it too.

Praying to the amber god now...

a4ahyrer.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck that wind looks nasty - 50km/h at Melbourne Airport, gusting to 72, pushing the 11C ambient temp down to 0.5C with wind chill.

Brrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.