• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels V Lions, Round 5, Friday 20 March @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Very poor second half and some bad calls along the way. Horrible missed tackle by English in the first half.
We really needed that win. I think we could beat the Blues the Bulls and the force at home. When we play well we can beat almost all so let us not lose hope yet. But only 18 games so that was key after dropping the Tahs match.
Really like Inman. What a great defender. Would like to see English to the bench for next game and Crawford on to match up against savea
Not an easy game next up

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Damn. Unlucky rebels. You have to admire the defence from the lions through a heap of that game. I thought the rebels scored that try that was called a stirzaker knock on but the lions missed one that was intentionally knocked down as well. McMahon was emence. Made a heap of rucks. I'm afraid the rebels defence let's them Down.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's hard to know unless you are at the ground, but it looked to me as though the Lions defensive line was based on the presumption that the Rebels were just not going to kick the ball.

A judicious grubber now and then might have kept the Lions guessing a bit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon they'll lift for the better teams. Against the Force and Lions they dominated the opening stanzas before switching off and allowing the opposition to grind their way back.

D

daz

Look, the reality is that the Rebels are an improvement this year, to the wooden spoon team from last year.

They are better, but nowhere near world beaters.

A "work in progress" is perhaps an apt description, so our expectations should be aligned to that.

Still, I did mention to few people that this game and result left me feeling as disappointed as I have ever been after a rugby game.

We just have to keep the faith, and keep supporting. Nothing else we can do.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree Daz, (see comment #77 above). i too was really disappointed after friday night. i havent been able to bring myself to watch a replay. the opening 20 mins was as good as i have seen the rebels play, but it was all largely down hill from there. they were also desperately unlucky in not being allowed at least one of the two tries that went to the TMO. i also felt that once again some of the officiating did them no favours, not biased just inconsistent and incompetent.
ps my great highlight and positive from the night was Ellison, he is a very very good footballer and if C Smith wasn't there, i am sure he would have been the AB's #13 for many games

Reactions: daz

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Rebels were too predictable. The Lions knew what was coming every time. While I applaud the lack of kicking by the Rebels it made it easy for the Lions to defend.
We should have won that with a BP.
At least we are playing better than last year.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rebels were too predictable. The Lions knew what was coming every time. While I applaud the lack of kicking by the Rebels it made it easy for the Lions to defend.
Agree

I am not a Rebels fan however I must say that I am somewhat impressed by some of the rugby they are playing this year.

The Rebels have the right players on board this season and I think they will give a lot of teams a run for their money however I do think they underestimated the Lions and probably wanted to get the win wrapped up in the first 30 minutes with a BP. There are no easy games in this comp and the Lions would have targeted this game.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

It's not even that is was too predictable, they did not support each other so failed to cross the advantage line way to often. Forwards where running into contact as one off runners and the support was slow for the majority of the match after the 20 minute mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.