• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Hurricanes - Super Rugby 2016 Rd 8 AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Rebels vs. Hurricanes, (#REBvHUR) Friday April 15th, 19:45 AEST

The Rebels’ defeat of the Waratahs in Round Six was their first ever win in Sydney, and they’re equal top of the Australian conference with a 4-2 record, however the naysayers will remind you that they’re yet to beat anybody above them on the table; this represents the chance to shut those people up!

Their forward pack laid a wonderful foundation in that win against the Waratahs, and none more so than loosehead prop Toby Smith who was exceptional in all facets of the game. He made the equal-second most tackles (11) by a prop in Round Six and won a scrum penalty, as well as scoring his second Rebels try when he finished off a Lopeti Timani line break.

Timani made the second most runs (11) and metres (59) by a lock in Round Six, including that line break and try assist as well as two tackle busts, and showed why Michael Cheika’s keen to look at him as a potential Wallaby debutant in 2016.

http://www.rupa.com.au/news/the-players/stat-attack-round-eight-2016

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
805e1e2f3046bb0385280cd212a37a19.jpg

Team unchanged from the Tahs match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The Rebels gave five-eighth Jack Debreczeni a fitness test on Thursday morning after he rolled his ankle on Monday and McGahan said he was expected to play.
But McGahan hinted the Rebels could be forced into changing their line-up on game day despite coming off a bye last weekend.
Centre Mitch Inman and possibly two other players were battling minor injuries on Thursday which could keep them out. McGahan wouldn't confirm the injured players but said they would be given until game day to prove their fitness.
"Jack had a bit of an ankle strain from training on Monday and he had a bit of a slip but his run through shows he is right to go," McGahan said.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...lace-in-hurricanes-clash-20160414-go6n59.html

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
It would not be the Rebels this year without the pre game drama and last minute line up change.

It also quotes that TT wants the Rebels to keep the ball in hand. That might make a nice change. I hope Bip listens as he has probably been the most guilty of kicking when he does not need to. I love how accurate he is but I wish he was not so fond of it. Not sure why as when we are running with it he is a very good support runner which is why he got all those early tries.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
It would not be the Rebels this year without the pre game drama and last minute line up change.

It also quotes that TT wants the Rebels to keep the ball in hand. That might make a nice change. I hope Bip listens as he has probably been the most guilty of kicking when he does not need to. I love how accurate he is but I wish he was not so fond of it. Not sure why as when we are running with it he is a very good support runner which is why he got all those early tries.

It's imperative to keep the ball in hand against their back three; Jane, Woody and Savea can destroy us if we keep kicking to them tonight. I smell an opportunity in their midfield; new pairing might cause the Hurricanes a few headaches.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rebels’ defeat of the Waratahs in Round Six was their first ever win in Sydney, and they’re equal top of the Australian conference with a 4-2 record, however the naysayers will remind you that they’re yet to beat anybody above them on the table; this represents the chance to shut those people up!

The Canes are yet to beat a side above them on the table as well. I'm expecting a fairly even contest.

oztimmay - the Canes back three have not been too flash. The key to the Canes so far has been the play of Ardie Savea, Fifita and Victor Vito. Other than that their backs have been incredibly inconsistent. Perenara is well down on last season's form and will have to improve to keep his AB spot alive.

Barrett has played okay, but for me he is standing too deep in attack. The midfield has been rotated/changed quite a bit. Julian Savea looks to be carrying extra weight and Jane has lost his pace.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Canes are yet to beat a side above them on the table as well. I'm expecting a fairly even contest.

oztimmay - the Canes back three have not been too flash. The key to the Canes so far has been the play of Ardie Savea, Fifita and Victor Vito. Other than that their backs have been incredibly inconsistent. Perenara is well down on last season's form and will have to improve to keep his AB spot alive.

Barrett has played okay, but for me he is standing too deep in attack. The midfield has been rotated/changed quite a bit. Julian Savea looks to be carrying extra weight and Jane has lost his pace.

The back three certainly looked better last weekend, but I don't think Corey Jame is a Fullback. I think it's a criminal waste to have seen Jason Woodward in the stands last weekend and I'm glad he is playing this weekend.

If anything, the match against the Jaguares helped them get some confidence back. However, if we starve them of Ball and give Savea no space I think we can win the battle of the back three.

I didn't talk much about the back row battle in the preview, but you are right in saying it will be interesting. I'll enjoy the McMahon v Savea battle.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
2 late Changes.

Toby out with concussion and Inman out with a hand injury.

Cruze and Sefa Start (with Ellison at Inside Center) Tom Moloney and Placid onto the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.